1. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    05 Oct '13 18:21
    Originally posted by divegeester
    There is a thread in this forum about plagiarism in which I call you and robbie out on this intellectual theft. When will you ever post your source? You frequently copy/paste stuff from the watchtower as if it is your your own writing. It is intellectual theft and you should be ashamed of yourself.
    How would you know, do you read their literature? And what do the laws pertaining to plagiarism actually say?
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    05 Oct '13 19:08
    Originally posted by lemon lime
    How would you know, do you read their literature? And what do the laws pertaining to plagiarism actually say?
    How would I know what? Why does my reading or not reading of their literature pertain to the the ethics of intellectual theft? And please tell me...what DO the laws of plagiarism actually "say"?
  3. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    05 Oct '13 20:00
    How would I know what? Why does my reading or not reading of their literature pertain to the the ethics of intellectual theft? And please tell me...what DO the laws of plagiarism actually "say"?
    Isn't it possible that Watchtower freely allows JW's to quote their works without attribution, if it is intended to spread the faith? In this case it wouldn't be theft.
  4. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    05 Oct '13 20:21
    Originally posted by JS357
    It was a step forward in labor law. (Seriously.)

Just as "an eye for an eye" was a step forward in penal law, as it actually called for restraint in an era of escalating blood feuds.
    Yes, seriously.
    An eye for an eye stopped an death for an eye, so yes that too was
    for escalating blood feuds, it drew a line where they had to stop.
    Kelly
  5. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    05 Oct '13 20:23
    Originally posted by sonship
    Why do you assume God needed to rest?
    The pattern that was put forth was for our sake that we get a day of rest
    instead being worked 7 days a week every week.

I didn't use the word "needed". This may be a fine point of whether God needed to rest or didn't need to rest. Remember how the Apostle Paul said in Romans that he spoke in hu ...[text shortened]... of rest. Am I right ?

So you might say that man's first full day started as a day of rest.
    I agree man's first full day was a day of rest, it also set a pattern for time
    marking too.
    Kelly
  6. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    05 Oct '13 20:25
    Isn't it possible that Watchtower freely allows JW's to quote their works without attribution, if it is intended to spread the faith? In this case it wouldn't be theft.
    What a dishonest practice if so.
    Kelly
  7. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    05 Oct '13 22:223 edits
    I don't work for you. If you want to find out if they were being unethical or broke any law then look it up for yourself. I don't have a dog in this fight, but it never ceases to amaze me how atheists will leave their brains at the doorstep before going in to argue with Christians. You are essentially telling a Jehovahs Witness that it's unethical for a Johovahs Witness to use material provided by the Jehovahs Witnesses for discussing what the Jehovahs Witnesses believe. 😕

Do you really think you can frighten a Jehovahs Witness with the implied threat of a lawsuit, and get him to believe a Jehovahs Witness might sue another Jehovahs Witness for using material provided by the Jehovahs Witnesses for promoting the Jehovahs Witnesses? Even if some small infraction occurred here who do you think would be stupid enough to try doing anything about it?

You would have better luck at intimidating small children or mentally disabled adults, but I wouldn't recommend you doing that. Here you can at least try without getting into any real trouble.

Have a nice day. 😛
  8. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    06 Oct '13 03:12
    I don't work for you. If you want to find out if they were being unethical or broke any law then look it up for yourself. I don't have a dog in this fight, but it never ceases to amaze me how atheists will leave their brains at the doorstep before going in to argue with Christians. You are essentially telling a Jehovahs Witness that it's unethical for a J ...[text shortened]... ng that. Here you can at least try without getting into any real trouble.

Have a nice day. 😛
    Too bad he's not an atheist.
  9. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    06 Oct '13 03:24
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    Too bad he's not an atheist.
    He (divegeester) just happens to be a sensible theist.

So the loonies don't like him.
  10. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    06 Oct '13 07:25
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    What a dishonest practice if so.
    Kelly
    Moveover, for some people, not stating that it is quoted from a stated source, stifles consideration of the ideas presented. People get sidetracked on the question of plagiarism. I think the JW's here should consider this.
  11. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    06 Oct '13 07:43
    Moveover, for some people, not stating that it is quoted from a stated source, stifles consideration of the ideas presented. People get sidetracked on the question of plagiarism. I think the JW's here should consider this.
    Yes, but it feeds a persecution complex nicely.
  12. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    06 Oct '13 07:58
    Paraphrasing, then acknowledging the source also serves a useful purpose when verbatim quotes may be too academic or formal. We do it often in face to face and phone conversations as a matter of course. Integrity and ethics rule.
  13. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    06 Oct '13 08:06
    I agree with you about an organization that would push its followers or
    members to spew their "approved thoughts on any topic" instead of letting
    its followers come up with their own thoughts on any topic. I've been very
    blessed lately joining a couple prayer groups from different areas and I love
    that those different groups have the same views even on topics like grace
    and love even though they have nothing to do with one another. All of these
    people have come up with this all on their own. Some of these people are
    from different countries, and I know them though my job while another
    group through the church we joined.

If an organization pushes its people to spew just the groups ideas is wrong
    and dishonest for several reasons, there really isn't a fair exchange of
    ideas. For the one pasting someone else' work, have not come up with their
    own thoughts, if they post a reply that belongs to someone else could also
    mean they are just spewing out another's work and have not taken the
    time to really grapple with coming up with their own thoughts on a topic,
    which cheats them and the people they are talking too.

They will never understand anything if they refuse to think about a
    topic on their own, where instead they simply spew out the thoughts of
    another. They are no different than a computer programmed to write
    or say something upon hearing or seeing key words, they are brain dead
    and trapped in a organization that promotes anything but free thought.
    Kelly
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    06 Oct '13 08:251 edit
    I don't work for you. If you want to find out if they were being unethical or broke any law then look it up for yourself. I don't have a dog in this fight, but it never ceases to amaze me how atheists will leave their brains at the doorstep before going in to argue with Christians. You are essentially telling a Jehovahs Witness that it's unethical for a J ...[text shortened]... ng that. Here you can at least try without getting into any real trouble.

Have a nice day. 😛
    Proverbs 26:17.
  15. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    06 Oct '13 08:33
    I agree with this.

It's far better to argue the point and not the source of the point, however the JWs repeated habit of posting the ideas and thoughts of other people (albeit other JWs) and passing them off as though they were their own becomes irritating and needs to be called out. It is especially noticeable as we have a thread on plagiarism in the forum at the moment.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree