Three answers
    1. Why not.

2. Because if he didn't you would be asking "Why doesn't man ask why?"

3. Because we are all looking for God.
  3. Cape Town
    Moves
    14 Nov '14 05:322 edits
    Because we have evolved to do so.

Why do some men ask 'why' when they have no intention of accepting the answers but rather which to promote their own answer?
  4. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    14 Nov '14 05:40
    Originally posted by twhitehead

Why do some men as 'why' when they have no intention of accepting the answers but rather which to promote their own answer?
    So evolution pushes us to seek for an answer which doesn't exist?

Interesting...
  5. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    14 Nov '14 05:41
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Three answers
    1. Why not.

2. Because if he didn't you would be asking "Why doesn't man ask why?"

3. Because we are all looking for God.
    I think you may be on to something.
  6. Cape Town
    Moves
    14 Nov '14 06:03
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    So evolution pushes us to seek for an answer which doesn't exist?

Interesting...
    Evolution pushes us to seek answers whether they exist or not. It also pushes us to seek agency whether it exists or not. It also pushes us to react more strongly to 'whys' that we believe are cause by agency than whys we believe are not caused by agency. This is why we react so strongly to terrorism and almost not at all to global warming despite the fact that the latter is by far the greater threat.
  7. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    14 Nov '14 06:36
    I think you may be on to something.
    Yep - facetiousness.
  8. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    14 Nov '14 12:43
    Evolution pushes us to seek answers whether they exist or not. It also pushes us to seek agency whether it exists or not. It also pushes us to react more strongly to 'whys' that we believe are cause by agency than whys we believe are not caused by agency. This is why we react so strongly to terrorism and almost not at all to global warming despite the fact that the latter is by far the greater threat.
    I don't thinking it through all the way; where you're stopping is nonsensical.
  9. Cape Town
    Moves
    14 Nov '14 13:27
    I don't thinking it through all the way; where you're stopping is nonsensical.
    I don't thinking I understand you. Could you expand on that?
  10. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    14 Nov '14 14:32
    I don't thinking I understand you. Could you expand on that?
    Your claim that evolution pushes us to pursue an answer when none exists lacks a purpose for the drive.
    You may as well claim that evolution pushes us for any number of frivolous or otherwise unnecessary aims.
  11. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    14 Nov '14 16:20

Why do some men ask 'why' when they have no intention of accepting the answers but rather which to promote their own answer?
    Why do people ask rhetorical questions?
  12. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    14 Nov '14 16:22
    ... does man ask why?
    Because knowledge has survival value, and survival is the urge that serves only itself. (It is self-justifying.)
  13. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    15 Nov '14 15:09
    ... does man ask why?
    Natural curiosity as exhibited in the imagined first cave wall graffiti:

'Who are we? Why are we here? Where are we going? How will we get there?' ~Fred F.
  14. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    15 Nov '14 15:25

You just did promote your own asnwer -

15. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    15 Nov '14 15:45
    ... does man ask why?
    We look around and see that there is nothing in existence like us.
    So many wonder "Why?"

It is interesting that in the Bible, whether you talk about creation of man from Genesis chapter one or chapter two, the net effect is the same.

Of all the other living things on the planet, man is unique and at the top of the pinnacle, so to speak.

In chapter one, man's creation only, causes a council in which God say 'Let Us make man in Our image ..."

And in chapter two, only man is assigned to define all the other living creatures, giving them names.

Since we are made with this self consciousness of our uniquness, mankind has mused on the question of "Why?" in one form or another.

I haven't seen yet a cow or horse look down with puzzlewd brow asking 'What is the meaning of this grass? Why am I here?"

Look into any animals face. Even the most intellegent ones seem to lack something humans possess.

So we ask why.

So also we will search the stars to find life elsewhere. That's part of the human longing to know why we are and how we got here. Maybe man's cosmic loneliness will be eased somewhat if we can at least locate some bacteria somewhere out there. LOL.

Of course God does not seem to forbid us to do whatever we want to find out why. But He has communicated with us in a unusual book - the Bible. It begins with God the Creator. It continues to reveal that man was made in the image of God to express God and represent God's dominion over creation.

"Image" and "Dominion" express why we were created.

The invisible and eternal Uncreated Divine Person created a creature to "look" like Him and reign over His creation for Him.

Genesis 1:26,27 - "And God said, Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness; and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of heaven and over the cattle and over all the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps upon the earth.

And God created man in His own image; in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them." (Gen. 1:26,27)

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree