1. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    24 Nov '14 20:50
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Here is a challenge to anyone that claims that truth can reliably be obtained form the Bible:
    Find me three people who are able to obtain the truth from the Bible.
    Allow me to interview them and ask them some questions to which they must respond with some of this truth.
    I will then compare the answers they give and see if they match.

Who here thinks they would match?
    "Who here thinks they would match?"

I do, but then that would depend on the questions. There would need to be a moderator, and a panel of individuals with the proper credentials to determine whether the questions were valid.

Most importantly, if the questions are of a spiritual nature, you would not be qualified to either ask or interpret the answers.
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    24 Nov '14 21:09
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Whether individual Christians avail themselves of the opportunity is a matter of positive or negative volition and between them and God.
    So although the believers are enabled to understand and assimilate absolute truth from the Word of God, many of them do not in fact do so. OK, that's clearer now. Why was it so difficult to say so in plain English? Why all the waffle and threats?
  3. Cape Town
    Moves
    24 Nov '14 21:11
    twhitehead, as a person who has apparently rejected God's grace gift of eternal life with a decision to choose for rather than against Christ and relationship with Him you are incapable of understanding biblical truth. I pray you'll change your mind.
    So I can also conclude that you are incapable of explaining biblical truth to me. Sorry, but I don't buy it. Anyone who cannot explain something to someone else, doesn't truly know it themselves.
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    24 Nov '14 21:19
    Originally posted by josephw
    I do, but then that would depend on the questions. There would need to be a moderator, and a panel of individuals with the proper credentials to determine whether the questions were valid.
    Why must the questions be carefully picked? Do believers not know which of their knowledge is the truth and which isn't? And why must a special panel do the determining rather than the people being questioned? Doesn't that suggest that it is the panel with the special knowledge and not the people being questioned? What if we just let the panel be the ones questioned?
    If the question is not about something whose answer is truth obtained from the Bible, then I would expect them to be honest and say so. Is that so hard?
    And what are the 'proper credentials' that are required for your panel?

The claim is that believers can obtain truth from the Bible. If they cannot tell when they have obtained this truth, then its not particularly useful to them. If they cannot communicate this truth to others as claimed by Grampy, then again, it is not particularly useful - and seems extremely suspicious. It does however explain Grampies extreme difficulty in communicating - we are just incapable of understanding his great pearls of wisdom. It just a pity that he doesn't seem to realize that from our point of view, he is no different from a raving lunatic that also believes his doctors cannot understand him because they lack the capacity to do so.
  5. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    24 Nov '14 21:21
    "Please edit quoted text responsibly. Making modifications which misrepresent the original post will result in a forum ban." -Russ
    Since it is obvious what he's done to anyone who reads it, it represents satirization rather than misrepresentation of your post. I don't think Russ would regard it as worthy of a forum ban, but then again I don't have a hotline to Russ.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 Nov '14 21:46
    "Please edit quoted text responsibly. Making modifications which misrepresent the original post will result in a forum ban." -Russ
    What happened to "leaving it in God's hands"?
  7. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    24 Nov '14 21:59
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    So I can also conclude that you are incapable of explaining biblical truth to me. Sorry, but I don't buy it. Anyone who cannot explain something to someone else, doesn't truly know it themselves.
    If "I am a programmer. Born in Zambia..." attempting to explain the scope and complexities of my work to a tribesman in a remote jungle who had never even heard of the internet, computers or software applications what chance of achieving an understanding would there be with no compatible frame of reference? You've already vomited Salvation information.
  8. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    24 Nov '14 22:07
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    Since it is obvious what he's done to anyone who reads it, it represents satirization rather than misrepresentation of your post. I don't think Russ would regard it as worthy of a forum ban, but then again I don't have a hotline to Russ.
    "... represents satirization" sans harassment, malignant personal attack or guile aforethought?
    Okay, DeepThought. Benefit of the doubt given despite the pattern and site forum guidelines.
  9. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    24 Nov '14 22:11
    Originally posted by FMF
    What happened to "leaving it in God's hands"?
    Still intact. Having done so doesn't negate responsibility to remind others of three sigma infractions and violations of policy
  10. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    24 Nov '14 22:26
    "Blah, blah, blah" certainly did not misrepresent your post.

You regurgitate the same dross day after day and you are
    surprised that all most hear is white noise?
  11. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    24 Nov '14 22:32
    What's with you guys and GB? He's a whole lot nicer than me and you guys treat him like sheet.

What's up with that?
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 Nov '14 22:44
    Still intact. Having done so doesn't negate responsibility to remind others of three sigma infractions and violations of policy
    You tell others to "leave it in God's hands" when you cannot bring yourself to defend them (even those you tell yourself are your friends) over ostensibly serious things, but you whine about getting Russ to impose forum bans when someone makes a joke about your waffly style of posting. 😀
  13. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    24 Nov '14 23:36
    Originally posted by FMF
    You tell others to "leave it in God's hands" when you cannot bring yourself to defend them (even those you tell yourself are your friends) over ostensibly serious things, but you whine about getting Russ to impose forum bans when someone makes a joke about your waffly style of posting. 😀
    Your criticisms are over the top. You sound rather bitchy. 😲

Am I allowed to say that in this forum? OMG! 😵
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 Nov '14 23:391 edit
    Originally posted by josephw
    Your criticisms are over the top. You sound rather bitchy. 😲

Am I allowed to say that in this forum? OMG! 😵
    I've never brandished the possibility of a forum ban against anyone I'm talking to here. And I have never received a forum ban for anything. I certainly don't think there should be any sanction against you for calling me "bitchy". 😉
  15. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    25 Nov '14 12:22
    Originally posted by FMF
    I've never brandished the possibility of a forum ban against anyone I'm talking to here. And I have never received a forum ban for anything. I certainly don't think there should be any sanction against you for calling me "bitchy". 😉
    I didn't "call" you bitchy. I said you "sounded" bitchy. Of course I meant no offence by it either. Was not the intent.

I too have never advocated the banning of another poster no matter what they say. I guess I'm calloused. Not shockable. Besides, it's their problem. Not that I don't care, but what can I do?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree