1. Cape Town
    Moves
    26 Nov '14 19:121 edit
    Originally posted by josephw
    Well, not everyone replies to every comment.
    Of course, and that is perfectly understandable. But if you were to ask me 20 questions and I finally answer the 20th, and give as my explanation that it was worthy of replying to, am I not implying that the first 19 were ignored because they were not worthy?
  2. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    26 Nov '14 19:51
    Originally posted by josephw replying to wolfgang59
    Maybe if we started having positive things to say to each other we wouldn't need to be so critical of another's personality and style. I don't act that way(negatively toward others)in my personal life, and as difficult as it is I try to maintain some form of decency and respect of my fellow forum posters.

Making critical judg ...[text shortened]... during a debate is unjustified. It's disingenuous. It's intellectually dishonest and immature.
    So its OK for you to call me a liar?
    Come on!
    You can't condemn criticising other posters
    then in the same post be critical of those that do!!!
  3. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    26 Nov '14 20:222 edits
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    -posted in error
    twhitehead, since you've been reluctant to pose a few biographical questions out of respect for my online privacy, here are a few facts some of which may have been posted on these forums since July, 2007. Please realize that I want you to have a sense of my background and frames of reference for the sake of dispelling any hearsay with the hope you'll be at ease.

1) Born between War II and the Korean Conflict in a Boston suburb hospital to parents with Swedish Ancestral Lineage; 2) I'm the eldest of five children with one sister and three brothers; 3) Active in competitive sports since Little League Baseball at the age of nine; 4) Honors Graduate from Northeastern University in Boston with Business Administration and Liberal Arts Combined Majors; 5) Two children, Eric [who began learning to play chess at the age of two] and Heidi [musically gifted] each of whom have three children, a daughter and two sons; 6) My professional career has been with several Fortune 100 Manufacturing and Marketing Corporations [in Boston, Chicago and Houston; along with general and regional management assignments with a privately owned all suite hotel group on the West Coast]; all positions included financial results, staff supervision and direct customer contact responsibilities; 7) Along with chess I enjoy times with friends, learning scripture, reading, following world events, movies [swimming, volley ball, doubles ping pong and golfing before the paralysis]. -Bob
  4. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    27 Nov '14 14:20
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    So its OK for you to call me a liar?
    Come on!
    You can't condemn criticising other posters
    then in the same post be critical of those that do!!!
    When and where did I call you a liar? Or anyone else for that matter?

Show me where I said, "you are a liar"?

Calling someone "a liar" is over the top. It's not the same as saying "you're lying" either, in my opinion. I refrain from the name calling, and sometimes I get close to the edge by some of the remarks I make, but direct personal assaults are not in my playbook.

Actually, I want people to like me, and not feel that I think I'm better than them just because I believe in "the way, the truth and the life".

Just show me where I called anyone a liar and I will apologize.
  5. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    27 Nov '14 14:34
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Of course, and that is perfectly understandable. But if you were to ask me 20 questions and I finally answer the 20th, and give as my explanation that it was worthy of replying to, am I not implying that the first 19 were ignored because they were not worthy?
    Each of us has the right to respond according to how they view the progress of the discussion of the topic is proceeding. If one feels that some questions are worthy of response and not others, then that's there prerogative.

Besides, what the hell do I know anyway? I'm doing the best as I can, and I try to give others wobble room too.

You know, most of the time I'm sitting here calmly typing out my comments in what I consider to be in a casual conversational tone, but I think some misinterpret me thinking I'm on some kind of high horse ranting out my vitriol intent on putting someone down. Once in a while that's true.

Doesn't do any good, and doesn't help the debate or facilitate understanding. It's no wonder so many have left off debating in this forum. Too much blaming and not enough reconciliation.
  6. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    27 Nov '14 23:09
    Originally posted by josephw to wolfgang59 regarding his criticism of GrampyBobby
    Making critical judgements about others during a debate is unjustified. It's disingenuous. It's intellectually dishonest and immature.
    Calling my judgements "disingenuous" and "intellectually dishonest".

If that is not calling me a liar what is?
  7. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    27 Nov '14 23:09

Just show me where I called anyone a liar and I will apologize.
    See above.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Nov '14 00:02
    Making critical judgements about others during a debate is unjustified. It's disingenuous. It's intellectually dishonest and immature.
    So let's get this straight about how it supposedly works in josephworld. Making critical judgements about others during a debate is unjustified but... it is justified for you, josephw, to make critical judgements and to tell others ~ in a debate ~ that they are disingenuous, intellectually dishonest, and immature? Have I got that right? 😕
  9. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    29 Nov '14 01:09
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Calling my judgements "disingenuous" and "intellectually dishonest".

If that is not calling me a liar what is?
    Provide the entire quote from which you drew those words.
  10. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    29 Nov '14 01:11
    Originally posted by FMF
    So let's get this straight about how it supposedly works in josephworld. Making critical judgements about others during a debate is unjustified but... it [b]is justified for you, josephw, to make critical judgements and to tell others ~ in a debate ~ that they are disingenuous, intellectually dishonest, and immature? Have I got that right? 😕[/b]
    Like I said to wolfgang, provide the entire quote from which you drew those words.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29 Nov '14 01:171 edit
    Like I said to wolfgang, provide the entire quote from which you drew those words.
    Maybe if we started having positive things to say to each other we wouldn't need to be so critical of another's personality and style. I don't act that way(negatively toward others)in my personal life, and as difficult as it is I try to maintain some form of decency and respect of my fellow forum posters.

I try. That's all I can do. I'm not perfect. If and when I'm caught in a fault, and make an error, I try to make amends. Making critical judgements about others during a debate is unjustified. It's disingenuous. It's intellectually dishonest and immature. We should take precautions not to deliberately try to hurt others by name calling and hurling insults as tempting as it mat be at times.

You were making judgemental personal remarks in a post in which you call "critical judgements about others" in a debate disingenuous, intellectually dishonest and immature. It's sheer hypocrisy on your part. Do you even realize you do it?
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29 Nov '14 01:22
    We should take precautions not to deliberately try to hurt others by name calling and hurling insults as tempting as it mat be at times.
    What "precautions" did you take when you deliberately called people making critical judgements about others during a debate "disingenuous", "intellectually dishonest"and "immature"? Why did your "precautions" work in your own post?
  13. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    29 Nov '14 01:34
    Originally posted by FMF
    [b]Maybe if we started having positive things to say to each other we wouldn't need to be so critical of another's personality and style. I don't act that way(negatively toward others)in my personal life, and as difficult as it is I try to maintain some form of decency and respect of my fellow forum posters.

I try. That's ...[text shortened]... tually dishonest and immature. It's sheer hypocrisy on your part. Do you even realize you do it?
    In the quote above I called no one a liar.
  14. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    29 Nov '14 01:35
    Originally posted by FMF
    What "precautions" did you take when you deliberately called people making critical judgements about others during a debate "disingenuous", "intellectually dishonest"and "immature"? Why did your "precautions" work in your own post?
    Quit twisting my words and provide the quote were I called anyone a liar.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29 Nov '14 01:36
    In the quote above I called no one a liar.
    I didn't say you did.

Are you attempting to dodge what I have actually confronted you with by mentioning something I didn't confront you with?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree