Why

Why

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cape Town

Moves
25 Nov 14

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
If "I am a programmer. Born in Zambia..." attempting to explain the scope and complexities of my work to a tribesman in a remote jungle who had never even heard of the internet, computers or software applications what chance of achieving an understanding would there be with no compatible frame of reference?
I admit that it would be difficult. But it would not be impossible.

Cape Town

Moves
25 Nov 14

Originally posted by josephw
What's with you guys and GB? He's a whole lot nicer than me and you guys treat him like sheet.

What's up with that?
Actually you come across as a lot nicer. Although I frequently disagree with your views, I much prefer your character to many of the other posters on this forum.
The problem with GB is his total failure to communicate normally. The few times he says something reasonably intelligible that wasn't a copy/paste job, its an insult or threat. On top of that he pretends to read other peoples posts, but by his actions, he totally ignores their contents.

A
The 'edit'or

converging to it

Moves
25 Nov 14

If "I am a programmer. Born in Zambia..." attempting to explain the scope and complexities of my work to a tribesman in a remote jungle who had never even heard of the internet, computers or software applications what chance of achieving an understanding would there be with no compatible frame of reference? You've already vomited Salvation information.
I argue, as a professional programmer myself that It is not too difficult to describe the essence, and mechanics of programming without referring to technology at all.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
25 Nov 14

Originally posted by Agerg
I argue, as a professional programmer myself that It is not too difficult to describe the essence, and mechanics of programming without referring to technology at all.
twhitehead, FreakyKBH, you and I each have written styles which vary in terms of case usage and text structure, frames of reference, vocabulary and content. Wouldn't it be interesting if the four of us were able to engage in conversation while breaking bread at the same table. Imagine the differences in our tonality, dialects, idioms, facial non-verbals, body language and animation. Yet we would manage to communicate effectively in the course of the evening, because we'd be focused on the ideas and information being shared with understanding our primary motivation. Our common humanity is less apparent in an online public forum; agendas and motives also differ. The only offset I'm aware of is to patiently make allowances.

Cape Town

Moves
25 Nov 14

twhitehead, FreakyKBH, you and I each have written styles which vary in terms of case usage and text structure, frames of reference, vocabulary and content.
Yet I can easily understand all but you.

Our common humanity is less apparent in an online public forum; agendas and motives also differ.
But that only seems to hinder you when it comes to communicating. You are by far the worst communicator on the whole forum, and that includes Dasa.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
25 Nov 14

twhitehead, FreakyKBH, you and I each have written styles which vary in terms of case usage and text structure, frames of reference, vocabulary and content. Wouldn't it be interesting if the four of us were able to engage in conversation while breaking bread at the same table. Imagine the differences in our tonality, dialects, idioms, facial non-verbals ...[text shortened]... ; agendas and motives also differ. The only offset I'm aware of is to patiently make allowances.
"The only offset I'm aware of is to patiently make allowances."

Judgement of others personality traits hinders effective communication between posters in this forum. I see it all the time and I am guilty of it myself. It takes a certain ability to make that offset.

Personally, I think I understand you in the aggregate, but sometimes you go over my head. You are a very knowledgable and wise man Bobby. I appreciate your presence here in this forum. I can always count on you to be straight forward and honest.

And don't the rest of you think I think any less of you! 🙂

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
25 Nov 14

Originally posted by twhitehead
Actually you come across as a lot nicer. Although I frequently disagree with your views, I much prefer your character to many of the other posters on this forum.
The problem with GB is his total failure to communicate normally. The few times he says something reasonably intelligible that wasn't a copy/paste job, its an insult or threat. On top of that he pretends to read other peoples posts, but by his actions, he totally ignores their contents.
But I'm not nicer than Bobby. Maybe I just sound nicer.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to criticize you for being tough on Bobby. It's just that I don't see what the fuss is all about. Maybe I'm not paying close enough attention to the exchanges. I read Bobby's posts. I don't see the harm in them.

Either way, there's too much arguing and not enough listening going on here. We should all try staying on topic and leave the personalities out of it.

I like to think that we are all here trying to contribute to the betterment of others rather than expressing distaste for one another just because we don't agree. I can't see how anyone can argue against that unless they suffer with some kind of negative personality disorder.

Just my thoughts. Peace!

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
25 Nov 14
1 edit

Originally posted by josephw - regarding GrampyBobby
1. You are a very knowledgable and wise man Bobby.

2. I can always count on you to be straight forward and honest.

1. Impossible to say since all his posts are cut and paste nonsense padded out with some pseudo-intellectual preface and summary.

2. Straight forward if you are fluent in gobbled-gook!
Honest? That is very debatable.

F

Moves
26 Nov 14

Originally posted by josephw to Grampy Bobby
Personally, I think I understand you in the aggregate, but sometimes you go over my head. You are a very knowledgable and wise man Bobby. I appreciate your presence here in this forum. I can always count on you to be straight forward and honest.
This is an interesting opinion. I would say, based on his forum behaviour and what he writes/pastes, that he is in fact constantly disguising the fact that he doesn't have much that is original, knowledgeable or wise to offer and that he is averse to straight forward discussion. It's interesting that we can read the same posts by him and reach such different estimations. 😉

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
26 Nov 14

Originally posted by FMF
This is an interesting opinion. I would say, based on his forum behaviour and what he writes/pastes, that he is in fact constantly disguising the fact that he doesn't have much that is original, knowledgeable or wise to offer and that he is averse to straight forward discussion. It's interesting that we can read the same posts by him and reach such different estimations. 😉
Well, your estimation is skewed due to the fact that you base your judgement of the man on whether you agree with his position or not. You really don't know Bobby, so you, by your criticisms, reveal the true nature of your own character.

I know that that is a tough thing to hear, and tougher to say I might add. I get no pleasure in it, but the mud slinging in this forum is wrecking any possibility of mature and intelligent debate, and it's taking all the fun out of it too.

I find it strikingly inconsiderate of you, and certain others, that you should be so disingenuous as to call out Bobby about his "forum behavior" when you gloss over the vitriol spewing forth from certain others in this forum. It's intellectually dishonest and renders your criticisms without merit.

Cape Town

Moves
26 Nov 14

Well, your estimation is skewed due to the fact that you base your judgement of the man on whether you agree with his position or not. You really don't know Bobby, so you, by your criticisms, reveal the true nature of your own character.
All theists hold positions that I disagree with. I do not judge them all identically. You are correct that we know very little about Grampy, mostly because he reveals very little about himself. He does not typically answer questions or offer opinions. But this very act of not getting engaged in discussions, tells us something about him.

It is interesting that you feel that what was written in a post on this forum by FMF was enough to reveal the true nature of his character, yet you do not admit that possibility when it comes to Grampys posts. Is Grampy simply not saying enough to reveal the true nature of his character?

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
26 Nov 14

Originally posted by wolfgang59
1. Impossible to say since all his posts are cut and paste nonsense padded out with some pseudo-intellectual preface and summary.

2. Straight forward if you are fluent in gobbled-gook!
Honest? That is very debatable.
Maybe if we started having positive things to say to each other we wouldn't need to be so critical of another's personality and style. I don't act that way(negatively toward others)in my personal life, and as difficult as it is I try to maintain some form of decency and respect of my fellow forum posters.

I try. That's all I can do. I'm not perfect. If and when I'm caught in a fault, and make an error, I try to make amends. Making critical judgements about others during a debate is unjustified. It's disingenuous. It's intellectually dishonest and immature. We should take precautions not to deliberately try to hurt others by name calling and hurling insults as tempting as it mat be at times.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
26 Nov 14

All theists hold positions that I disagree with. I do not judge them all identically. You are correct that we know very little about Grampy, mostly because he reveals very little about himself. He does not typically answer questions or offer opinions. But this very act of not getting engaged in discussions, tells us something about him.

It is interesti ...[text shortened]... to Grampys posts. Is Grampy simply not saying enough to reveal the true nature of his character?
"Is Grampy simply not saying enough to reveal the true nature of his character?"

I believe so. I've read Bobby's posts from one end to the other in the various forums and he has always come out on the high road in all he says. I've read the posts of many others as well. There's no comparison. Many others deserve to be looked at with as critical an eye, but why single out Bobby? I find it to be somewhat hypocritical the way Bobby is attacked in each and every post while the filth that spews out of the mouths of certain others get a pass.

You do agree that others say the vilest things that make what Bobby says look tame don't you? There's no comparison.

I think the real problem is that GrampyBobby is probably closer to the truth than anyone else, and that's why he receives so much apparent disdain and contempt. Just a possibility?

F

Moves
26 Nov 14

I judge his behaviour and the content of his posts and I engage him. I welcome people doing the same thing to me. This is what a "debate and discussion" forum is all about.

F

Moves
26 Nov 14

It is interesting that you feel that what was written in a post on this forum by FMF was enough to reveal the true nature of his character, yet you do not admit that possibility when it comes to Grampys posts. Is Grampy simply not saying enough to reveal the true nature of his character?
This rather hits the nail on the head.