1. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Feb '18 00:22
    Originally posted by @fmf
    Do you consider the Christian 'good works' of looking after your mother to be a righteous act?
    Your continued use of “looking after” in light of what I said indicates you’ve once again resorting to trolling after being bested on substance, but I’ll respond to your query (in the same way that I’ve responded the other dozen times you asked it.) It’s not a righteous act because good works do not make someone righteous (in right standing with God.(

Have a good evening and troll on!
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Feb '18 00:24
    Is looking after one's children an example of Christian 'good works'?
    I would say making sacrifices for one’s children and placing their needs ahead of one’s own is an example of good works.

“Looking after” children is what a babysitter does.

Have a good evening, amigo!
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    07 Feb '18 00:281 edit
    Originally posted by @romans1009
    Your continued use of “looking after” in light of what I said indicates you’ve once again resorting to trolling after being bested on substance...
    The substance of your claim about what the 'good works' you do as a Christian are ~ including caring for your mother ~ I hope, is tongue in cheek. I am not trolling you at all. I am engaging what you are claiming about your religion and about yourself. Do you not find what 1 Timothy 5:8 says a wee bit awkward after having stated that caring for your mother is an example of the 'good works' you perform as a Christian?
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    07 Feb '18 00:311 edit
    I would say making sacrifices for one’s children and placing their needs ahead of one’s own is an example of good works.
    And if a Christian parent places the needs of their children ahead of their own it is proof of their faith, but if a non-Christian parent places the needs of their children ahead of their own what they are doing is like "dirty rags" to your god figure? Have I got it right?
  5. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Feb '18 03:12
    The substance of your claim about what the 'good works' you do as a Christian are ~ including caring for your mother ~ I hope, is tongue in cheek. I am not trolling you at all. I am engaging what you are claiming about your religion and about yourself. Do you not find what 1 Timothy 5:8 says a wee bit awkward after having stated that caring for your mother is an example of the 'good works' you perform as a Christian?
    Not at all. If my memory’s right, Timothy speaks of “providing for” the members of one’s household, which implies, to me, financial support. I go well beyond that and it can be quite time consuming.
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Feb '18 03:13
    And if a Christian parent places the needs of their children ahead of their own it is proof of their faith, but if a non-Christian parent places the needs of their children ahead of their own what they are doing is like "dirty rags" to your god figure? Have I got it right?
    No, you haven’t got it right, but at this point, I’m not sure you ever will.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    07 Feb '18 03:14
    Not at all. If my memory’s right, Timothy speaks of “providing for” the members of one’s household, which implies, to me, financial support. I go well beyond that and it can be quite time consuming.
    So if you do things for your mother that "can be quite time-consuming", it counts as an example of righteous Christian 'good works' alongside you giving some money to charities, is that right?
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    07 Feb '18 03:19
    No, you haven’t got it right, but at this point, I’m not sure you ever will.
    I think I have got it right. I have been reading what you write very carefully. And when I read a generic dismissal like "No, you haven’t got it right, but at this point, I’m not sure you ever will" I realize that the implications of what you have been are not holding up and you realize it.

You clearly believe that if a Christian parent places the needs of their children ahead of their own then it is 'good works' and you have stated that 'good works are proof of a Christian's faith.

You have also suggested that a non-Christian's 'good works', like where a non-Christian parent placing the needs of their children ahead of their own, are like "dirty rags" to your god figure.

I've got it spot on.
  9. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Feb '18 03:26
    So if you do things for your mother that "can be quite time-consuming", it counts as an example of righteous Christian 'good works' alongside you giving some money to charities, is that right?
    Why do you say “righteous Christian good works” when it is just good works? You know the definition of righteous I have been using (right standing with God) but won’t say what your definition is, so I’m unable to understand what your point is. Good works don’t make one righteous so putting the word “righteous” in front of “good works” makes no sense. I also don’t grasp why you are placing the word “Christian” before “good works.” Good works are good works regardless of who (Christian or non Christian) does them.
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Feb '18 03:28
    I think I have got it right. I have been reading what you write very carefully. And when I read a generic dismissal like "No, you haven’t got it right, but at this point, I’m not sure you ever will" I realize that the implications of what you have been are not holding up and you realize it.

You clearly believe that if a Christian parent places the needs of ...[text shortened]... children ahead of their own, are like "dirty rags" to your god figure.

I've got it spot on.
    You really haven’t. But rather than repeat what I’ve already written, I’ll look for the post and copy-and-paste it here before the night’s out (assuming it’s in this thread.)
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    07 Feb '18 03:30
    You really haven’t.
    Take the words in the post you are replying to and point to the errors. I have listened very carefully to what you have been claiming. You clearly are uncomfortable with the implications. "You really haven’t" is a dodge.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    07 Feb '18 03:32
    [b]Why do you say “righteous Christian good works” when it is just good works?/b]
    You believe that 'good works' done by a Christian have some meaning to your god figure and are a manifestation of your Christian faith, do you not? Meanwhile non-Christians' 'good works' are like "filthy rags" to your god figure, right? These are things that you have explained to me.
  13. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Feb '18 03:35
    You believe that 'good works' done by a Christian have some meaning to your god figure and are a manifestation of your Christian faith, do you not? Meanwhile non-Christians' 'good works' are like "filthy rags" to your god figure, right? These are things that you have explained to me.
    How are you defining “righteous” or “righteousness?” Are you using my definition, which I believe you previously objected to? If not, what is your definition?
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    07 Feb '18 03:38
    How are you defining “righteous” or “righteousness?” Are you using my definition, which I believe you previously objected to? If not, what is your definition?
    This is what you are (carefully not) replying to with your evasive counter question:

The words “righteous” or “righteousness" do not appear in my post.
  15. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Feb '18 03:55
    This is what you are (carefully not) replying to with your evasive counter question:

[b]You believe that 'good works' done by a Christian have some meaning to your god figure and are a manifestation of your Christian faith, do you not? Meanwhile non-Christians' 'good works' are like "filthy rags" to your god figure, right? These are things that you have explained to me.

The words “righteous” or “righteousness" do not appear in my post.[/b]
    Ok, you’ve dropped the word “righteous” that you were previously using. That’s a start, though I still wish you had defined it.

If you recall, I previously answered this question by saying I would be loathe to characterize any good works done by a Christian as “filthy rags” particularly if the Christian was strong in his or her faith because such good works would be at the direction of God’s Holy Spirit, which indwells every Christian believer, and would be accomplishing God’s purposes.

Do you remember me saying that? I don’t believe it’s on this thread but appears on one of the longer threads.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree