1. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    06 Feb '18 20:24
    'Anyone who does not provide for their relatives, and especially for their own household, has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever.' (1 Timothy 5:8)

Is neglecting our family worse for God than not believing He exists?
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    06 Feb '18 20:32
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
    'Anyone who does not provide for their relatives, and especially for their own household, has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever.' (1 Timothy 5:8)

Apparently.

Obviously a fate worse that burning in hell for eternity awaits.
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    06 Feb '18 20:32

Unbelief is so overrated.
  4. PenTesting
    Moves
    06 Feb '18 21:29

Like I keep saying .. an atheist is going to fare better than a sinful Christian when judgment day comes.
  5. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    06 Feb '18 23:42
    Originally posted by @rajk999
    Like I keep saying .. an atheist is going to fare better than a sinful Christian when judgment day comes.
    Hard to believe you can both be a Christian and say that. You have no faith in the veracity of John 3:16 and Romans 10:9?
    I know you believe in an incorrect works-based salvation, but do you think faith plays a role at all in Christianity? Not just in terms of salvation but also in terms of pleasing God?
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    06 Feb '18 23:47
    Originally posted by @romans1009
    Hard to believe you can both be a Christian and say that. You have no faith in the veracity of John 3:16 and Romans 10:9?
    I know you believe in an incorrect works-based salvation, but do you think faith plays a role at all in Christianity? Not just in terms of salvation but also in terms of pleasing God?
    It's interesting that you have sidestepped the OP which would appear to make nonsense of your assertion that you providing for your mother is an example of your Christian 'good works'.
  7. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    06 Feb '18 23:51
    Originally posted by @fmf
    It's interesting that you have sidestepped the OP which would appear to make nonsense of your assertion that you providing for your mother is an example of your Christian 'good works'.
    Huh?

You see no distinction between providing for someone and being their caretaker? Hope you don’t have kids,
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    06 Feb '18 23:57
    Huh?

You see no distinction between providing for someone and being their caretaker? Hope you don’t have kids,
    What does your talk of looking after your mother mean in the light of 1 Timothy 5:8 ? Can you really cite it as an example of Christian 'good works'?
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    06 Feb '18 23:57

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Feb '18 00:02
    What does your talk of looking after your mother mean in the light of 1 Timothy 5:8 ? Can you really cite it as an example of Christian 'good works'?
    “Looking after” and being the sole caretaker are two different things. You don’t know what is involved with caring for my mother and the sacrifices I have made to do it when I could have hired someone to “provide” for her (I believe that was the Biblical word used in Timothy) and made my life easier but her life more unpleasant.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    07 Feb '18 00:05
    You don’t know what is involved with caring for my mother and the sacrifices I have made to do it when I could have hired someone to “provide” for her (I believe that was the Biblical word used in Timothy) and made my life easier but her life more unpleasant.
    So making sacrifices for your own mother is an example of Christian 'good works'? Not hiring someone to do it for you and to make your life easier is an example of Christian 'good works'?
  12. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Feb '18 00:05
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    “Looking after” describes what a babysitter does; not what a parent does. And a parent who deeply cares for their children and makes sacrifices for them is indeed doing “good works.” I would hope you could acknowledge that not all parenting constitutes “looking after.” Some constitutes a great deal more.
  13. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Feb '18 00:07
    So making sacrifices for your own mother is an example of Christian 'good works'? Not hiring someone to do it for you and to make your life easier is an example of Christian 'good works'?
    I would consider that “good works” regardless of whether a Christian or non-Christian did it.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    07 Feb '18 00:11
    I would consider that “good works” regardless of whether a Christian or non-Christian did it.
    Do you consider the Christian 'good works' of looking after your mother to be a righteous act?
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    07 Feb '18 00:121 edit
    Is looking after one's children an example of Christian 'good works'?

This is your answer, taken from above:

And a parent who deeply cares for their children and makes sacrifices for them is indeed doing “good works.” I would hope you could acknowledge that not all parenting constitutes “looking after.” Some constitutes a great deal more.

And you believe that parent can cite caring for their children and making sacrifices for them is an example of Christian 'good works'?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree