Would any of you know Spirituality...

Would any of you know Spirituality...

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

C
It is what it is

Pretoria

Moves
26 Jul 18

Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
Absolutely. First question though, why is it necessary to view Eastern religions as 'competing'?

I fully understand, that for Christians, the only door to God is Jesus (which in turn leads to perceiving all other religions as counterfeit) but I think this makes for a very poor starting point in any meaningful dialogue with people from other faith ...[text shortened]... e that seeks out similarities in a shared journey, in searching out or understanding the divine?
Correct - competing is too strong a word. (Although Buddhism emerged out of Hinduism, so could be said to be the "new and improved" version.)

I meant "competing" more in a marketing kind of way...

One should understand that Christianity grew out of an attempt to improve Judaism. It is pretty clear that Jesus never wanted to start a new religion, but that this was started by Paul et al when the Jews rejected it.

Also, the books of the NT (which, as you pointed out) where carefully selected, where all written by fallible people. People who most certainly meant well, and no deceit should be implied anywhere, but fallible nonetheless. And, in addition, steeped in the culture of the day. How could it have been otherwise?

So, whilst there are many wonderful and helpful and commendable things in the teachings of Jesus (very few if any are being practiced by Christians today, btw) the claim to exclusivity of "salvation" must also be seen against this background.

I do not support the view that we should look for the Lowest Common Denominator of other religions, because that would lead to a totally watered down spirituality. Rather, see each one as making a unique contribution towards humanity understanding the ineffable.

For example, I have been blessed out of my socks by the writings of Rumi and Hafiz, and their insights and absolute delight in God is precious to see.

My criteria would be that any doctrine or teaching or whatever which turns my attention away from me, me and always me, to search for the ineffable, the mysterious, the wonderful Spirit behind all creation, and which encourages and urges me towards empathy, love, generosity and forgiveness - that is what I am after.

PS: I would like to make a sincere plea to sonships 1 and 2, and KJ and eladar and the others to please refrain from jumping in here with your scriptures of "Jesus is the Way", etc, We know them all, and they work just fine in the Christian Room. But we are not there right now...

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
26 Jul 18

Originally posted by @caljust
I would like to make a sincere plea to sonships 1 and 2, and KJ and eladar and the others to please refrain from jumping in here...
"Sonships 1 and 2"

Who is sonship 2?

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
26 Jul 18

Correct - competing is too strong a word. (Although Buddhism emerged out of Hinduism, so could be said to be the "new and improved" version.)

One should understand that Christianity grew out of an attempt to improve Judaism. It is pretty clear that Jesus never wanted to start a new religion, but t ...[text shortened]... know them all, and they work just fine in the Christian Room. But we are not there right now...
Jesus is the way. Jesus says he will welcome into the Kingdom of God all people who practice charity and righteous living. ALL people. There are no separation by religion or class or race.Christians have no monopoly on Christ neither the Kingdom of God.

The purpose of Christian faith is to steer people toward a state of righteousness and good charitable works and eventually into the Kingdom of God. It does not exclude people from other religions and under other laws.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
27 Jul 18
1 edit

Originally posted by @sonship
It is not silly at all. Literature, art, biographies, poetry, history is filled with people expressing that though they were physically alive they somehow knew SOMETHING was incomplete about their lives.

For example, Alexander the Great wanted to be buried with his hands appearing outside of the coffin. I am told that it was to let the world know ...[text shortened]... esn't seem to be enough to really satisfy your deepest longing, see if you're giggling about it.
Life satisfies me to the hilt, thank you very much.

Your affirmation about being born again sounds silly. Please read carefully

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
27 Jul 18

He certainly can reply for himself.

You know who Jimmy Hendrix was. He wrote a song "[b]I Don't Live Today."
I think it succinctly expressed a sentiment of many people in many ages -

"I am physically alive. I am alive in my soul. But I don't feel that I am REALLY alive."

In that song Hendrix said he felt like he was living in the bottom o ...[text shortened]... r at least Schubert felt that this world was not the home in which he felt 100% a completed man.[/b]
Piss off you jerk

You lie!
I always respond for myself .

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
27 Jul 18

Your questions are always of the nature of -

"I have an opinion. Confirm it."

I don't recall any question from you genuinely displaying an open mind that was not already padlocked closed on its own opinion.
You lie about FMF now.

You should be ashamed to call yourself a Christian

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
27 Jul 18

Or alternatively, any of Ken Wilber's books, preferably "Integral Spirituality".

I would love to discuss his concepts with anybody who has read this book.
If you are genuinely interested in Spirituality then there are genuine answers to find.
Just ask

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
27 Jul 18

Originally posted by @karoly-aczel
Piss off you jerk

You lie!
I always respond for myself .
Oops. I misread.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
27 Jul 18

If you are genuinely interested in Spirituality then there are genuine answers to find.
Just ask
Ask yourself . Evaluate .

Define

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
27 Jul 18

One should understand that Christianity grew out of an attempt to improve Judaism. It is pretty clear that Jesus never wanted to start a new religion, but t ...[text shortened]... know them all, and they work just fine in the Christian Room. But we are not there right now...
You highlight 'empathy', 'love', 'generosity' and 'forgiveness' which sounds like a pretty good starting point for Interfaith dialogue. (Not in the sense of 'lowest common denominators' but as a shared core platform from where unique differences can be explored to mutual benefit and growth).

Take for example:

'Should a person do good, let him do it again and again. Let him find pleasure therein, for blissful is the accumulation of good.' (The Buddha)

Isn't this a lesson that could be of benefit to an open-minded Christian who hasn't 'shut up shop' when it comes to spiritual knowledge? Doesn't the Christian who views all other religious teachings as counterfeit potentially miss out on a deeper and more complete understanding of the divine?

C
It is what it is

Pretoria

Moves
27 Jul 18

Originally posted by @divegeester
"Sonships 1 and 2"

Who is sonship 2?
secondson

C
It is what it is

Pretoria

Moves
27 Jul 18

Just ask
I thought that that is exactly what I did here...

So - have you read Ken Wilber? Then lets discuss!

C
It is what it is

Pretoria

Moves
27 Jul 18

Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
Isn't this a lesson that could be of benefit to an open-minded Christian who hasn't 'shut up shop' when it comes to spiritual knowledge? Doesn't the Christian who views all other religious teachings as counterfeit potentially miss out on a deeper and more complete understanding of the divine?
That is exactly the point.

Ken Wilber talks about "transcend and include." If we "grow out of" the narrow-minded, exclusivist Christianity into a more inclusive spirituality, we do not lose or reject the basic truths, but include them on a higher level.

It is exactly like the proverbial elephant and the six blind men. The moment someone claims to have the whole truth, he misses the elephant entirely.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
27 Jul 18

secondson
Are you claiming that @SecondSon is a second account for @Sonship?

C
It is what it is

Pretoria

Moves
27 Jul 18

Originally posted by @divegeester
Are you claiming that @SecondSon is a second account for @Sonship?
No, only a spiritual clone of him.