1. Joined
    24 May '10
    Moves
    02 Jan '13 00:391 edit
    Originally posted by checkbaiter
    I understand your contempt for slavery, killing people because of sexual preference, etc., and I assume you refer to the Old Testament where some of these practices occurred under the command of God Himself. However you miss the definition of a greater love than you can fathom. Many of the slaves by the way were (Dulos) and chose to stay with their mast ...[text shortened]... king from a sensual or physical perspective. God is love and in Him is no darkness(evil) at all.
    You show by your answer what I am seeking to show - that this so-called "Word of God" (not the only religion that claims that) must be interpreted and studied and decided upon. There are many Christians who would have a different approach to the Christian scriptures than yours, which is fundamentalist in nature. The bad decisions and fundamentalist interpretations of religious writings nearly always lead to acts against humanity instead of for it, as they are usually based on a legalistic punitive guilt-ridden view of life. This leads to very immoral actions. Your choice of interpretations, isn't it?.
  2. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    02 Jan '13 01:18
    Originally posted by divegeester
    "WWJD"

What kind of lame juvenile hipster-speak is this?
    "WWJD" just means "What Would Jesus Do?" It is Jesus talk, not hipster talk. 😏
  3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    02 Jan '13 01:45
    Originally posted by Taoman
    You show by your answer what I am seeking to show - that this so-called "Word of God" (not the only religion that claims that) must be interpreted and studied and decided upon. There are many Christians who would have a different approach to the Christian scriptures than yours, which is fundamentalist in nature. The bad decisions and fundamentalist interpreta ...[text shortened]... view of life. This leads to very immoral actions. Your choice of interpretations, isn't it?.
    Well, things have changed today, we have same sex marriage, abortion, sex before marriage, etc. The world condones these behaviors as normal. It is still sin at it's core. The only thing that has changed is that people are no longer commanded to execute such people because we now live in an age of grace.
    But that sin is still self destructive and it does have ill effect on the community as a whole.
    Surely, you can see the effect on our communities in the last 40,50 years. There has been a steady increase in immorality, none that it was not there before, but more widely accepted.
  4. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    02 Jan '13 02:02
    Originally posted by checkbaiter
    Well, things have changed today, we have same sex marriage, abortion, sex before marriage, etc. The world condones these behaviors as normal. It is still sin at it's core. The only thing that has changed is that people are no longer commanded to execute such people because we now live in an age of grace.
    But that sin is still self destructive and it d ...[text shortened]... n a steady increase in immorality, none that it was not there before, but more widely accepted.
    Morality is of course completely subjective.

For those that believe allowing same sex marriage is moral,
    and believe allowing women a choice is moral, and believe
    that allowing natural human behaviour prior to some archaic
    ceremony is moral ...

For those people the world is a much more moral place than
    it was 50 years ago.
  5. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    02 Jan '13 02:31
    Originally posted by wolfgang59

For those that believe allowing same sex marriage is moral,
    and believe allowing women a choice is moral, and believe
    that allowing natural human behaviour prior to some archaic
    ceremony is moral ...

For those people the world is a much more moral place than
    it was 50 years ago.

How so?
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Jan '13 03:00
    Originally posted by kd2acz
    What do you claim to be your moral compass...?
    At its core, and in the simplest terms; do not harm others, do not deceive others and do not coerce others.
  7. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    02 Jan '13 03:17
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    [b]Morality is of course completely subjective.

How so?[/b]
    Checkbaiter has different morals to me.
  8. Joined
    03 Sep '12
    Moves
    02 Jan '13 03:44
    Originally posted by FMF
    At its core, and in the simplest terms; do not harm others, do not deceive others and do not coerce others.
    I like it.
  9. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    02 Jan '13 04:101 edit
    Checkbaiter has different morals to me.
    So, in your mind, there is no such thing as "good" or "bad" beyond what a given individual deems it to be? Rape is neither "good" nor "bad"? Slavery is neither "good" nor "bad"? Beating children is neither "good" nor "bad"?
  10. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    02 Jan '13 04:32
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    So, in your mind, there is no such thing as "good" or "bad" beyond what a given individual deems it to be? Rape is neither "good" nor "bad"? Slavery is neither "good" nor "bad"? Beating children is neither "good" nor "bad"?
    I believe rape is bad.
    I believe slavery is bad.
    I believe beating children is bad.

I obviously cannot say that everyone would agree with me.
  11. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    02 Jan '13 04:491 edit
    I believe rape is bad.
    I believe slavery is bad.
    I believe beating children is bad.

I obviously cannot say that everyone would agree with me.
    You didn't really answer the questions. The questions weren't whether or not everyone would agree with you.

They were framed within the following context:
    "So, in your mind, there is no such thing as 'good' or 'bad' beyond what a given individual deems it to be?"

Seems like it would be helpful if you answered the above question.
  12. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    02 Jan '13 12:27
    For many, one's moral compass is their faith. For others a moral compass is values that are passed down from parents, grandparents, etc. (which may be faith based or not). Still others, a moral compass is more culturally based, or what is based on the given law were one lives. What do you claim to be your moral compass, is it any of the above or something else?
    You have used the term moral 'compass', which I take to mean something which helps guide you as to what is moral and what is not.

In which case, then I would not regard any of the things you have listed as a moral compass for me.

In the case of faith, because I do not have any at present.

In terms of values passed down to me by my parents, of course, these have no doubt influenced what I think is moral and what is not in the past, but I would not judge anything today as a grown adult by reference to what my parents think is or is not moral.

Cultural values - similar. It is probably easier to be take certain moral standpoints if they are broadly accepted by the culture in which you live, but they do not guide me as to what is or is not morally acceptable.

Law - most certainly not. Some of the greatest advances in moral inprovement have resulted in changes to the law that previously deemed certain acts not only immoral, but illegal.

I would argue that my moral 'compass' is simply my intellect and I challenge any act by reference to the same type of considerations as FMF alluded to.

So, for any given action/inaction:

1 Does it cause any harm to anyone other than myself? If not, then I do not regard it as immoral.

2 If it does cause harm to anyone other than myself, do the benefits (other than purely selfish ones) clearly outweigh the harm being caused?

There is a lot you could add to this in terms of refinements needed for specific circumstances, of course, and many of the judgements that need to be made are subjective, but 'do the least harm to others as possible' would be the basic gist of it.
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Jan '13 12:30
    I like it.
    It involves no superstition or supernatural ingredients.
  14. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    02 Jan '13 13:27
    For many, one's moral compass is their faith. For others a moral compass is values that are passed down from parents, grandparents, etc. (which may be faith based or not). Still others, a moral compass is more culturally based, or what is based on the given law were one lives. What do you claim to be your moral compass, is it any of the above or something else?
    Morality, by definition, is a code of conduct or behavior, and is subjective on a purely human level.

Unless one adheres to an objective code of morality as defined by the Creator. Then, all bets are off.
  15. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    02 Jan '13 13:31
    Originally posted by Taoman
    You show by your answer what I am seeking to show - that this so-called "Word of God" (not the only religion that claims that) must be interpreted and studied and decided upon. There are many Christians who would have a different approach to the Christian scriptures than yours, which is fundamentalist in nature. The bad decisions and fundamentalist interpreta ...[text shortened]... view of life. This leads to very immoral actions. Your choice of interpretations, isn't it?.
    Christianity takes two forms.

One is legalistic. Legalism leads to conflict.

The other is Grace based and leads to liberty.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree