1. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    02 Jan '13 14:01
    Originally posted by kd2acz
    For many, one's moral compass is their faith. For others a moral compass is values that are passed down from parents, grandparents, etc. (which may be faith based or not). Still others, a moral compass is more culturally based, or what is based on the given law were one lives. What do you claim to be your moral compass, is it any of the above or something else?
    Me. I thought about stuff, and came to decisions. I know you tried to touch all the bases, but you missed the very first one.

If you wake up on a deserted island with amnesia, how would you carry yourself?
  2. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    02 Jan '13 14:06
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    [b]Morality is of course completely subjective.

How so?[/b]
    Don't you have dogs? You are fully entitled to the unattended dish. Unless you are a cat.
  3. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    02 Jan '13 14:07
    Originally posted by josephw
    Morality, by definition, is a code of conduct or behavior, and is subjective on a purely human level.

Unless one adheres to an objective code of morality as defined by the Creator. Then, all bets are off.
    Why is your Creator's code of morality 'objective'? What gives it this particular intrinsic quality?
  4. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    02 Jan '13 14:08
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    I agree. The strong effort made by the atheists to push God out of our government and our schools has made the moral behavior of our citizens very bad. This nation is headed for the garbage heap unless strong efforts are made to bring God back into the lives of the people. Any good moral compass must include a belief in God and His Christ and the guidance of the Holy Spirit.

HalleluYah !!! Praise the Lord! Holy! Holy! Holy!
    First of all, one of the cornerstones of our Constitution is the separation of church and state. Neither has any business getting in the way of the other. God doesn't belong in our government, nor in our schools. God belongs in church and/or at home. Making a belief in God and Christ and the guidance of the Holy Spirit the moral compass of your life is all well and good, but you cannot force this down everyone's throat. The Inquisition was a bad idea, you know.

Let everyone live their lives. God will sort them out at Judgement.
  5. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    02 Jan '13 14:141 edit
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    First of all, one of the cornerstones of our Constitution is the separation of church and state. Neither has any business getting in the way of the other. God doesn't belong in our government, nor in our schools. God belongs in church and/or at home. Making a belief in God and Christ and the guidance of the Holy Spirit the moral compass of your life is a bad idea, you know.

How do you think God will 'sort out' the following two types of people in practical terms at Judgement:

1 The child raping, genocidal maniac.

2 The person who lives his/her life according to most of what you would regard as moral behaviour, except for the belief in your particular version of God.

Would there be any qualitative difference in their fates?
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    02 Jan '13 14:31
    Originally posted by Rank outsider
    How do you think God will 'sort out' the following two types of people in practical terms at Judgement:

1 The child raping, genocidal maniac.

2 The person who lives his/her life according to most of what you would regard as moral behaviour, except for the belief in your particular version of God.

Would there be any qualitative difference in their fates?
    It's not up to me. I'm human, I make mistakes.

God has said, "Vengeance is mine" and Jesus said, "Judge not".

I'm good with that most of the time.

For the times I'm not, see sentence #2.
  7. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    02 Jan '13 14:38
    I'm really not a big fan of the constitution. Hiroshima, Nagasaki, ain't America great?

At what point do we stop letting dead people tell us how to think.
  8. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    02 Jan '13 14:43

Is there anything in the Bible that suggests that their fates will be different?

If not, does that not concern you?

If God has 'vengeance' planned for both, do you not think it should be proportionately applied?

Isn't proportionality in punishment not morally necessary?
  9. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    02 Jan '13 16:42
    Originally posted by apathist
    Don't you have dogs? You are fully entitled to the unattended dish. Unless you are a cat.
    If you have a point, just plainly state it.
  10. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    02 Jan '13 17:12
    Why is your Creator's code of morality 'objective'? What gives it this particular intrinsic quality?
    It's "objective" in the sense that mankind neither created it nor defines it.
  11. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    02 Jan '13 17:141 edit
    First of all, one of the cornerstones of our Constitution is the separation of church and state. Neither has any business getting in the way of the other. God doesn't belong in our government, nor in our schools. God belongs in church and/or at home. Making a belief in God and Christ and the guidance of the Holy Spirit the moral compass of your life is a bad idea, you know.

I was just stating my opinion and I have no intention of forcing it down everyone's throat, my sweet Suzianne. 😏

HalleluYah !!!
  12. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    02 Jan '13 17:14
    Originally posted by josephw
    It's "objective" in the sense that mankind neither created it nor defines it.
    Exactly, else anyone can decide what is moral or immoral.
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    02 Jan '13 17:22
    Is there anything in the Bible that suggests that their fates will be different?

If not, does that not concern you?

If God has 'vengeance' planned for both, do you not think it should be proportionately applied?

Isn't proportionality in punishment not morally necessary?
    /shrug

Sin is sin.

But Jesus did hint that intention goes a long way.
  14. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    02 Jan '13 17:24

Judge not?

My dear Suzianne, I think you forgot to read "the rest of the story", as Paul Harvey would say.

Maybe the following link will provide that knowledge and understanding better than I could explain it to you.

http://www.capalert.com/judgenot.htm
  15. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    02 Jan '13 17:27
    Originally posted by apathist
    I'm really not a big fan of the constitution. Hiroshima, Nagasaki, ain't America great?

At what point do we stop letting dead people tell us how to think.
    Dropping the bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki saved many more lives than they cost.

Truman had all the intelligence, including how many millions of Japanese died defending Iwo Jima, Saipan and Okinawa, to tell him that an invasion of the Japanese mainland would have cost tens of millions of Japanese lives, many of them civilians.

30 million vs. 330,000. You make the decision.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree