Your Moral Compass

Your Moral Compass

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
02 Jan 13
2 edits

Originally posted by Rank outsider
And that is the most subjective view of all.

Had you been born in a different time and place, you would most certainly be saying this about another God/religion with as much sincerity and conviction.

As you cannot show objectively that your religion is the one correct one, you cannot say that the moral code that stems from this is objectively moral for this reason.
The following link is to a website that provides "Just the Facts" on most all the religions so you can objectively make up your own mind as to which, if any, is the correct one:

http://www.religionfacts.com/

Good luck. 😏

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
02 Jan 13

Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
If the "moral compass" is hung on the same "concept through the ages, across many cultures and within both theistic and secular schools of thought", then how can they be "impostors or counterfeits"?
If you like it so much, then embrace it.

Take your pick and run with it. Or go with a Pantheistic world view.

As for me, I'll stand on the undiluted truth of the Word of God as it appears in the Bible. To the death.

T

Moves
02 Jan 13
2 edits

Originally posted by josephw
If you like it so much, then embrace it.

Take your pick and run with it. Or go with a Pantheistic world view.

As for me, I'll stand on the undiluted truth of the Word of God as it appears in the Bible. To the death.
Jesus not only embraced the Golden Rule, but declared that the "law and the prophets" hang on it. It is the same "moral compass" whether you want to admit it or not.

Do you not consider the following to be "undiluted truth of the Word of God as it appears in the Bible"?
Matthew 7
12Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
02 Jan 13

Jesus not only embraced the Golden Rule, but declared that the "law and the prophets" hang on it. It is the same "moral compass" whether you want to admit it or not.

Do you not consider the following to be "undiluted truth of the Word of God as it appears in the Bible"?
Matthew 7
12Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets.
Jesus didn't just embrace the "golden rule", He is the Author of it.

And you only got it half right about the "law and the prophets". The first and most important law is the first commandment, and upon that hangs the law and the prophets.

T

Moves
02 Jan 13

Originally posted by josephw
Jesus didn't just embrace the "golden rule", He is the Author of it.

And you only got it half right about the "law and the prophets". The first and most important law is the first commandment, and upon that hangs the law and the prophets.
If you look at my earlier post, you'll see that it was said a number of times well before Jesus walked the Earth.

In Matthew 7, Jesus had it narrowed down to only the Golden Rule.
Matthew 7

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
02 Jan 13
2 edits

If you look at my earlier post, you'll see that it was said a number of times well before Jesus walked the Earth.

In Matthew 7, Jesus had it narrowed down to only the Golden Rule.
Matthew 7
12Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: [b]for this is the law and the prophets
[/b]
Jesus said "do" whereas most of the others said "do not" and the orignal commandment was as Jesus said from the quotation below:

“Teacher, which is the great commandment in the law?”

Jesus said to him, “‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.’ This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like it: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets.”

(Matthew 22:36-40 NKJV)

HalleluYah !!! Praise the Lord! Glory be to God! Holy! Holy! Holy!

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
02 Jan 13

You didn't really answer the questions. The questions weren't whether or not everyone would agree with you.

They were framed within the following context:
"So, in your mind, there is no such thing as 'good' or 'bad' beyond what a given individual deems it to be?"

Seems like it would be helpful if you answered the above question.
"good" and "bad" are subjective though some actions may be so bad or so
good to be universally judged as such. That would not however take away
the subjective nature of such opinions.

In other words a unanimous decision on a question of morality does not
make it objective.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
02 Jan 13

Originally posted by checkbaiter
Exactly, else anyone can decide what is moral or immoral.
Which is exactly what happens.

T

Moves
02 Jan 13

Originally posted by wolfgang59
"good" and "bad" are subjective though some actions may be so bad or so
good to be universally judged as such. That would not however take away
the subjective nature of such opinions.

In other words a unanimous decision on a question of morality does not
make it objective.
Are you avoiding the following question for a reason?
"So, in your mind, there is no such thing as 'good' or 'bad' beyond what a given individual deems it to be?"

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
02 Jan 13

..., the Golden Rule has been recognized as one such concept through the
ages, across many cultures and within both theistic and secular schools of
thought. This fact also belies the idea that morality is "completely subjective".

The fact that there is a positive and negative version of the Golden Rule and also the fact that most of us are acquainted with at least someone who flouts it clearly demonstrates that morality is subjective.

T

Moves
02 Jan 13

The fact that there is a positive and negative version of the Golden Rule and also the fact that most of us are acquainted with at least someone who flouts it clearly demonstrates that morality is subjective.
How so?

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
02 Jan 13

How so?
Have a think about it.

T

Moves
02 Jan 13

Have a think about it.
I guess I'll have to assume that you are unable to explain it.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
02 Jan 13

The following story from the Tao helps me understand that man really does not know what is good nor bad.
Maybe

There is a Taoist story of an old farmer who had worked his crops for many years. One day his horse ran away. Upon hearing the news, his neighbors came to visit. "Such bad luck," they said sympathetically. "May be," the farmer replied. The next morning the horse returned, bringing with it three other wild horses. "How wonderful," the neighbors exclaimed. "May be," replied the old man. The following day, his son tried to ride one of the untamed horses, was thrown, and broke his leg. The neighbors again came to offer their sympathy on his misfortune. "May be," answered the farmer. The day after, military officials came to the village to draft young men into the army. Seeing that the son's leg was broken, they passed him by. The neighbors congratulated the farmer on how well things had turned out. "May be," said the farmer.

Only God is truly good and only God can define morality, what is good or wrong.

T

Moves
03 Jan 13

Originally posted by checkbaiter
The following story from the Tao helps me understand that man really does not know what is good nor bad.
Maybe

There is a Taoist story of an old farmer who had worked his crops for many years. One day his horse ran away. Upon hearing the news, his neighbors came to visit. "Such bad luck," they said sympathetically. "May be," the farmer replied. The ...[text shortened]...

Only God is truly good and only God can define morality, what is good or wrong.
Your post "helps me understand that [you] really [do] not know" the difference between the concepts of morality and luck