Your tooth fairy not mine

Your tooth fairy not mine

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
172d

@ghost-of-a-duke said
It's the butterfly effect. The universe (following a Big Crunch) would never be the same as the one that proceeded it as just one slight change in variables would ripple across the entire universe.

We still have a lot to learn about dark matter and the significant role it will play in bringing to an end the expansion of the universe and the start of its collapse.
...[text shortened]... chess positions after just 7 moves is 3,284,294,545, so imagine how many there are in a full game).
I have a calculator too, a solar powered one, my very old, and trusted Texas Instruments, a heirloom. And when the sun is down, or too cloudy, I saved my slide rule for those occasions. Is it really 3,284,294,545 after only 7 moves? And after 21 moves? No wonder I'm not very good at the game, as I can't count even after 1 move. Are you saying that no two identical games of chess have ever been played, not even coincidentally?

Like my old math teacher always demanded on homework papers..."show your work, along with the bottom line."

Are not the laws of physics the same exact laws, with the same identical power in each of the eternal repetitive cycles? And are not the limited elements, and their limited numbers (amount) also identical with each cycle? How can we predict anything in the future, or establish the past accurately, without constants? Is not the eternal cycle of repetition in danger of not repeating without constants?

Just thinking!

Moves
172d

@pettytalk said
Is it really 3,284,294,545 after only 7 moves?
It is indeed.

Moves
172d

@pettytalk said
Are you saying that no two identical games of chess have ever been played, not even coincidentally?
Not any game that has progressed out of book and deep into an endgame.

Moves
172d

@pettytalk said

Are not the laws of physics the same exact laws, with the same identical power in each of the eternal repetitive cycles? And are not the limited elements, and their limited numbers (amount) also identical with each cycle? How can we predict anything in the future, or establish the past accurately, without constants? Is not the eternal cycle of repetition in danger of not repeating without constants?

Just thinking!
Constants can be put out of whack by a rogue banana, and in a vast universe there will always be rogue bananas.

Moves
172d

@ghost-of-a-duke said
Matter isn't limited. The eternal universe isn't repetitive.
Am I imagining that the hypothetical Conformal Cyclic Cosmology (CCC) model of our universe was put forth by you and supported by moonbus?

You stated this in a reply to KellyJay, and I'm quoting you: "I have explained this already. Heat death and entropy, where the universe ends up in a state of no thermodynamic free energy, is averted by the endless series of big bangs and crucially, 'big crunches.'

Then, later, moonbus replies to me by saying this: "If one assumes infinite time and finite matter, then everything repeats in all possible configurations, endlessly."

Is the amount of matter in the universe of an infinite quantity? Or is it finite?

I suppose, as I already had supposed, which is this. If matter is also infinite in an eternal cyclic universe, where both run neck and neck, then identical repetition becomes less probable, and nearly impossible for us to assert it, unless we too are able to go to those fantastical distances, also neck and neck, and take a snapshot at the wire, a hypothetical "finish" line.

Über-Nerd

Moves
172d

@ghost-of-a-duke said
Matter isn't limited. The eternal universe isn't repetitive.
Some posters here are repetitive.

Über-Nerd

Moves
172d
1 edit

@pettytalk said
Am I imagining that the hypothetical Conformal Cyclic Cosmology (CCC) model of our universe was put forth by you and supported by moonbus?

You stated this in a reply to KellyJay, and I'm quoting you: "I have explained this already. Heat death and entropy, where the universe ends up in a state of no thermodynamic free energy, is averted by the endless series of big bangs ...[text shortened]... stical distances, also neck and neck, and take a snapshot at the wire, a hypothetical "finish" line.
No one knows whether the quantity of matter in the universe is finite, but the best available evidence indicates that the number of naturally occurring elements is finite. If time is unbounded in either direction, then it follows logically that all possible configurations of a finite number of elements will occur and recur, with 100% certainty, endlessly.

Moves
172d

@ghost-of-a-duke said
Constants can be put out of whack by a rogue banana, and in a vast universe there will always be rogue bananas.
When the outside temperature rises
And the meaning is oh, so clear...
I think I'm a banana tree
Oh Dear.....
It finally happened, the Big Crunch?

Moves
172d

@moonbus said
No one knows whether the quantity of matter in the universe is finite, but the best available evidence indicates that the number of naturally occurring elements is finite. If time is unbounded in either direction, then it follows logically that all possible configurations of a finite number of elements will occur and recur, with 100% certainty, endlessly.
Can't argue with 100% certainty and logic. Besides, we both like the same toppings for waffles and pancakes.

Which also reminds me of this. In God's eternal universe everything is 100% possible, logically. We just need to have faith in God, logically.

ENGLAND

Moves
172d

@pettytalk said
The god gravity! Oh, you actually believe I took it literally? It takes more than a god of gravity to shape a planet, and make life possible on it. It takes a real God, one who can make gravity, which in turn will do all his work for him, so he can rest at least one day a week.
How do you know this?

Fourth time of asking.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
172d

@moonbus said
Don’t think so!

Moves
172d

@pettytalk said

You stated this in a reply to KellyJay, and I'm quoting you: "I have explained this already. Heat death and entropy, where the universe ends up in a state of no thermodynamic free energy, is averted by the endless series of big bangs ...[text shortened]... stical distances, also neck and neck, and take a snapshot at the wire, a hypothetical "finish" line.
Matter has always existed, in one form or another.

Moves
172d

@pettytalk said
Can't argue with 100% certainty and logic. Besides, we both like the same toppings for waffles and pancakes.

Which also reminds me of this. In God's eternal universe everything is 100% possible, logically. We just need to have faith in God, logically.
If only faith in God was logical.

Moves
172d

@moonbus said
In all the possible configurations I will still never put Marmite in a sandwich.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
172d

@ghost-of-a-duke said
In all the possible configurations I will still never put Marmite in a sandwich.
Have you ever eaten a peanut butter and mayonnaise on toast sandwich?🥪