are the americans just missing the point..?

are the americans just missing the point..?

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E
YNWA

Moves
23 Nov 06

Originally posted by Red Night

Most of the comments by non-Americans could be answered with a single word response: "Cricket"

Talk about an obscure game that no one plays!?
Considering the populations of India, Pakistan and Bangladesh, where cricket is the no. 1 sport, I'd say it's one of the most played sports in the world.

Or are you calling Indians, Pakistanis and Bangladeshies no-ones?

RN
RHP Prophet

pursuing happiness

Moves
23 Nov 06
2 edits

Originally posted by ElleEffSeee
Considering the populations of India, Pakistan and Bangladesh, where cricket is the no. 1 sport, I'd say it's one of the most played sports in the world.

Or are you calling Indians, Pakistanis and Bangladeshies no-ones?
Cricket is one the most played sport in the world?????

Check your facts.

Let's see most played behind:

Soccer, Basketball, Baseball, Golf, Hockey, Rugby,

Are they any sports left?

While it is true that Cricket has hung on in various backwaters of a crumbling empire it is hardly a growing sport.

BTW, I have never heard the Super Bowl Champions referred to as the World Champions. They are the Super Bowl Champions, a more distingusihed title.

I

Moves
23 Nov 06
1 edit

Originally posted by Red Night
Cricket is one the most played sport in the world?????

Check your facts.

Let's see most played behind:

Soccer, Basketball, Baseball, Golf, Hockey, Rugby,

Are they any sports left?

While it is true that Cricket has hung on in various backwaters of a crumbling empire it is hardly a growing sport.

BTW, I have never heard the Super Bowl Ch ...[text shortened]... rred to as the World Champions. They are the Super Bowl Champions, a more distingusihed title.
Cricket is played in 97 countries, many of which have no connection to the British Empire. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_International_Cricket_Council_members#Associate_Members)

As for it not being a growing sport, several of the minor nations have ambitions of gaining full test playing status, Kenya have previously applied but been turned down because of poor facilities there.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
23 Nov 06

Originally posted by Natural Science
It seems pretty self-evident to me. The more popular a sport is in a particular country, the better quality team that country will be able to produce. American football is far lass popular in other countries, so they have a much smaller talent pool from which to draw players. And, an even smaller pool from which to draw coaches. Good coaching is ...[text shortened]... sport has a long way to go in terms of popularity in the rest of the world. A long way to go.
Everybody knows that the Americans' world exists only between the Pacific and the Atlantic Ocean.

d

Moves
23 Nov 06

Originally posted by sally cinnamon
Ive often heard american commentators refer to the superbowl champions as the "world champions". How exactly do they come to this conclusion?
I don't know if that's necessarily true (Usually they are referred to as SuperBowl Champions) but even if it were, I would have no problem with it. The best American Football players in the world are in the NFL. There is no other football league in the World that comes remotely close to the quality of players in the NFL. Therefore, the winner of the SuperBowl is the best team in the world. What exactly is the big deal or are you just trolling for a reaction?

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
23 Nov 06

Originally posted by darvlay
I don't know if that's necessarily true (Usually they are referred to as SuperBowl Champions) but even if it were, I would have no problem with it. The best American Football players in the world are in the NFL. There is no other football league in the World that comes remotely close to the quality of players in the NFL. Therefore, the winner of the SuperB ...[text shortened]... best team in the world. What exactly is the big deal or are you just trolling for a reaction?
Being the best team is different from being the champions.

The NBA champions used to call themselves World Champions. A freaking travesty when the US are regularly beaten in the World Championship.

o

Moves
23 Nov 06

Originally posted by Palynka

The NBA champions used to call themselves World Champions. A freaking travesty when the US are regularly beaten in the World Championship.
well since the top players from around the world play in the NBA it is correct to call the team the world champions... Argentina who won gold at the last olympics their best players were Andres Nocioni who plays for the chicago bulls and manu ginobili who plays for the san antonio spurs

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
23 Nov 06

Originally posted by omg1337
well since the top players from around the world play in the NBA it is correct to call the team the world champions... Argentina who won gold at the last olympics their best players were Andres Nocioni who plays for the chicago bulls and manu ginobili who plays for the san antonio spurs
No, it's not correct. They're the NBA Champions, nothing more nothing less.

The World Champions are Spain. If clubs want to call themselves World Champions, there must be a World Championship. It's that simple.

d

Moves
23 Nov 06

Being the best team is different from being the champions.

I'm talking about American Football, not Basketball.

The best team in the NFL is the best team in the world. Period.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
23 Nov 06
1 edit

I'm talking about American Football, not Basketball.

The best team in the NFL is the best team in the world. Period.
Being the best isn't the same as being champions.

d

Moves
23 Nov 06

No, it's not correct. They're the NBA Champions, nothing more nothing less.

The World Champions are Spain. If clubs want to call themselves World Champions, there must be a World Championship. It's that simple.
The Toronto Raptors have 2 of the 5 starters from the Spanish National team and we're 3-8. 😠

d

Moves
23 Nov 06

Being the best isn't the same as being champions.
😕

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
23 Nov 06

The Toronto Raptors have 2 of the 5 starters from the Spanish National team and we're 3-8. 😠
That's not the point. 😠

d

Moves
23 Nov 06

That's not the point. 😠
I know. Just some food for thought is all. 😠😠

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
23 Nov 06

😕
Yes, to be champion, they need to WIN a championship. To be world champions they need to win a world championship.

Being the best isn't enough.