are the americans just missing the point..?

are the americans just missing the point..?

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RN
RHP Prophet

pursuing happiness

Moves
28 Nov 06
1 edit

Originally posted by Phlabibit
We could play a game. You hit a cricket ball to me with your 'Bat'.

I hit a baseball to you with my bat.

You won't like the results. A baseball bat will give much more force per square inch.

I don't know how hard a cricket ball is, but I know a baseball isn't designed to be caught with a bare hand even if I throw it around 60mph, let alone 85 to ...[text shortened]... depending if the ball comes off a bat or from someone's throwing arm in an MLB game.

P-
A nice movie:

http://www.physics.usyd.edu.au/~cross/Collision2.mov

Hit play once it loads.

RN
RHP Prophet

pursuing happiness

Moves
28 Nov 06

Originally posted by Red Night
A nice movie:

http://www.physics.usyd.edu.au/~cross/Collision2.mov
More fun stuff:

http://www.googlefight.com/index.php?lang=en_GB&word1=baseball&word2=cricket

m

Moves
28 Nov 06

Originally posted by Phlabibit

I don't know how hard a cricket ball is, but I know a baseball isn't designed to be caught with a bare hand even if I throw it around 60mph, let alone 85 to 130ish depending if the ball comes off a bat or from someone's throwing arm in an MLB game.
A cricket ball is roughly as hard as a baseball - harder to begin with, but they use it for longer so it does soften. It's slightly smaller, and slightly heavier. They're both capable of doing lots of damage if they hit you in the wrong place.

NS
blunderer of pawns

Rhode (not an)Island

Moves
28 Nov 06
1 edit

Bottom line is this: Unless you're willing to catch a Roger Clemens fastball with your barehand (and if you are, you clearly have no idea how dangerous a Roger Clemens fastball is), you have no business calling our baseball players sissies.

Furthermore, unless you are prepared to go up in the air for a ball, leaving yourself completely exposed and vulnerable to a 250 lb. linebacker running at full speed and looking to separate you from the ball by any means possible, and do so with no padding or helmet, you have no business calling our football players sissies.

RN
RHP Prophet

pursuing happiness

Moves
28 Nov 06

Originally posted by Natural Science
Bottom line is this: Unless you're willing to catch a Roger Clemens fastball with your barehand (and if you are, you clearly have no idea how dangerous a Roger Clemens fastball is), you have no business calling our baseball players sissies.

Furthermore, unless you are prepared to go up in the air for a ball, leaving yourself completely exposed an ...[text shortened]... and do so with no padding or helmet, you have no business calling our football players sissies.
Frankly, if I had to get tackled by a 250 lb linebacker, I might just as soon do it without the pads. (The linebacker gets no pads either.)

I got a feeling his pads are probably going to do more damage to me than my pads are going to protect me.

This is a point that our European friends are missing. Pads are offensive as well as defensive.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
28 Nov 06

Frankly, if I had to get tackled by a 250 lb linebacker, I might just as soon do it without the pads. (The linebacker gets no pads either.)

I got a feeling his pads are probably going to do more damage to me than my pads are going to protect me.

This is a point that our European friends are missing. Pads are offensive as well as defensive.
😵

Red Night is getting desperate with his excuses...

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
28 Nov 06

Originally posted by Palynka
😵

I'll take the pads, and I don't care if that guy is 250, wearing pads... and driving a Ford.

P-

RN
RHP Prophet

pursuing happiness

Moves
29 Nov 06

Originally posted by Palynka
😵

I didn't really mean it as an excuse.

I was just making an observation and Phlabs disagrees with it, so maybe I'm wrong.

The point is that "pads" is a bit of a misnomer. the things aren't made out of padding, they are made out of hard plastic and they hurt.

h

Cosmos

Moves
29 Nov 06

I didn't really mean it as an excuse.

I was just making an observation and Phlabs disagrees with it, so maybe I'm wrong.

The point is that "pads" is a bit of a misnomer. the things aren't made out of padding, they are made out of hard plastic and they hurt.
And what about the helmets?

Wusses.

h

Cosmos

Moves
29 Nov 06

Originally posted by howardgee

Wusses.
I mean cummon, helmets are for motorbike riders risking life and limb at over 100mph, or for F1 drivers. Even cyclists going at 70mph down hill in the bore-de-france only use bike helmets, not the full faced grilled affairs used in American namby-pamby "Football".

All they are doing is running around chasing a soft, inflated ball.

Pusseeeeeees!!!!!!

RN
RHP Prophet

pursuing happiness

Moves
29 Nov 06
2 edits

Originally posted by howardgee

Wusses.
Ask Darryl Stingley about helmets.

Every time I hear the word wusses, I think of David Beckham crying as England lost another World Cup.

r

Moves
29 Nov 06
1 edit

i think the film green street makes a good point when the american says, "all you do is use your fist in a fight, in the us we use guns, its a matter of life and death in the us", to which the englishman replies, "would these same people do what i do, i jump into crowds of 5 to 10 men wanting to beat the s**t out of me with only my fist for protection - that takes far more guts than shooting a gun... any coward can fire a gun!" good point

o

Moves
30 Nov 06

i think you are wrong on this one, if your gona get tackled by a linebacker you might want a helmet when your head slams against the ground...

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
30 Nov 06

Originally posted by omg1337
i think you are wrong on this one, if your gona get tackled by a linebacker you might want a helmet when your head slams against the ground...
I think part of his point is wearing the pads lets everyone hit harder, so there are some very hard hits delivered where they wouldn't be delivered if both people were used to playing said sport with no protection.

As for rugby or Ausy football stuff (sorry about any bad spelling) they are crazy. That's nuts to run around like that and kill each other with no pads at all. I do respect that, in a "what are you stupid?" kind of way.

We also might be missing his point that he'd rather die instant when the NFL guy crushes him... rather than be in full pads... and body traction for 3 month.

P-

RN
RHP Prophet

pursuing happiness

Moves
30 Nov 06

Originally posted by omg1337
It may be a good point. Other's have made it as well.

My point was also a good one, I think; that the pads could hurt.