BCS Insanity

BCS Insanity

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

w

Moves
03 Dec 07

Originally posted by poundlee
I am a big ten fan and I think all the bashing is ridiculous BUT
(1) Michigan (who i root for) has no business playing Florida. (2) Illinois who I think it is debatable whether they are even the second best the team in the Big 10 should not play USC (the top pac ten team)
(3) It is absolutely B.S. that both Illinois and Ohio State play 100% road bowl game ...[text shortened]... her ranked in the polls that Illinois and Michigan and as a result bowl records cannot be great.
Agreed!! It is crazy that we have bowl games on fields that are not neutral. Why does USC and LSU get to play in their own back yard? Who is matching up these bowl games? Are they stupid? How can Michigan and Illinios be expected to match up against Florida and USC? Never mind the Big Ten, how is Hawaii and WVU expected to match up against Georgia and Oklahoma? These guys are on crack!!!

Having said all of this I will now reveal the method in releaving this BCS insanity. Have the odds makers in Vegas decide who is #1-10. They NEVER get it wrong. Granted, they sometimes do, however, their methods are down to a science. It has to be, otherwise they would all be in the poor house!!!

RN
RHP Prophet

pursuing happiness

Moves
03 Dec 07

Originally posted by whodey
Agreed!! It is crazy that we have bowl games on fields that are not neutral. Why does USC and LSU get to play in their own back yard? Who is matching up these bowl games? Are they stupid? How can Michigan and Illinios be expected to match up against Florida and USC? Never mind the Big Ten, how is Hawaii and WVU expected to match up against Georgia and O ...[text shortened]... r methods are down to a science. It has to be, otherwise they would all be in the poor house!!!
Letting Las Vegas decide is not a bad idea.

They had #9 Oklahoma as the favorite over #1 Mizzou last night.

G
Mr. Shield

Moves
03 Dec 07

Originally posted by poundlee
I am a big ten fan and I think all the bashing is ridiculous BUT
(1) Michigan (who i root for) has no business playing Florida. (2) Illinois who I think it is debatable whether they are even the second best the team in the Big 10 should not play USC (the top pac ten team)
(3) It is absolutely B.S. that both Illinois and Ohio State play 100% road bowl game ...[text shortened]... her ranked in the polls that Illinois and Michigan and as a result bowl records cannot be great.
Because it's even more unfair to send teams that are lucky if their winter temps go below 60 into possible negative temperatures, and snow. That + home field advantage would way tougher than just hopping on a plane and actually getting some sun.

I wish the match-ups were more even, though. I like Illinois but there's absolutely no possible way they could keep up with USC. As for Michigan, I look forward to seeing them lose, again. Same with OSU. It's about time people realize how over-rated they are, already, and change the system to give teams like USC, Georgia, Oklahoma & the rest an equal chance (ie tournament). More teams like Hawaii may be able to get into that, too, and make it more interesting (like the college basketball tourney).

RN
RHP Prophet

pursuing happiness

Moves
03 Dec 07

There are some pretty lop-sided, crazy match-ups.

Georgia v. Hawai'i? What did they match them up alphabetically? Hawaii has no business in that one. June Jones said it best when he said Washington was the best team they played all year.

I feel sorry for Michigan having to play the Gators..

Illinois plays the type of offense that bothers USC but they ought to be at least a 2 TD underdog playing the Trojans at home.

Virginia Tech v. Kansas...I'd rather watch paint dry. How did Kansas get in over Mizzou.

WVU v. OU...Oklahoma isn't that good, but they found a match-up that will make them look as if they are. West Virgina is pathetic, they have no business on the same field with OU. At least we got spared watching them get slaughtered in a title game.

OSU v. LSU may be the best match-up of them all. LSU should be favored by 7 or 8 points and that may be the closest betting line of the bunch.

master of disaster

funny farm

Moves
03 Dec 07
1 edit

Agreed!! It is crazy that we have bowl games on fields that are not neutral. Why does USC and LSU get to play in their own back yard? Who is matching up these bowl games? Are they stupid? How can Michigan and Illinios be expected to match up against Florida and USC? Never mind the Big Ten, how is Hawaii and WVU expected to match up against Georgia and O ...[text shortened]... r methods are down to a science. It has to be, otherwise they would all be in the poor house!!!
You obviously do not understand the bowl process. After the BCS National Championship teams are determined, the remaining bowls have a draft, if you will, of all of the remaining teams. The picking order rotates each year. Now, remember, this is all about money because there are some huge payouts in these games. Some bowls have alliances with conferences and that dictates, to some extent, the teams they can select from (I can go over these if you like in another post). Now, if you are a bowl forking out big bucks, you want to place as many butts in the stands as you can. This is why the Orange Bowl historically has jumped at the opportunity to take Miami, Florida or Florida State when they have the chance, because the fan base of those schools are a lock cinch to sell out the game quickly and easily, Likewise, the Rose covets USC whenever they can get them. The Sugar covets LSU, Alabama, Auburn or virtually any SEC school. So, do not be fooled into thinking the games were laid out to be interesting matchups, because it just ain't so. Sometimes they back into a great game, but not always by choice.

Now, that I went on record a month ago and accurately picked the two teams that should compete for the national championship, I will go out on a limb to further rub no1marauder's nose in the dirt and project that Georgia will kick the crap out of Hawaii. Hawaii got lucky against Bosie State and against Washington, but not against Georgia.

I was also on record as saying Colt Brennen wasn't a great quarterback, he was a product of the system he played in. You will also notice that there are NONE, repeat ZERO, NADA, ZIP, ZILCH awards flowing his way because the voters recognize this as well, and his inflated stats were earned against weak programs. I am not saying he won't turn out to be a serviceable or even a good NFL QB, but he has a long way to go before those accolades roll in his direction.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
03 Dec 07

Originally posted by Red Night
Really? Georgia USC would be a great game. I'd hate to see the Illini go out there and get slaughtered by what may be the best team in the nation.

And I agree with you, those two may be the real best teams in the Nation.

Anybody know how defrauder's warriors are doing? are they still getting spanked by Washington?

EDIT: 21-0 in the first quarter.
😵

w

Moves
03 Dec 07

Originally posted by shortcircuit
You obviously do not understand the bowl process. After the BCS National Championship teams are determined, the remaining bowls have a draft, if you will, of all of the remaining teams. The picking order rotates each year. Now, remember, this is all about money because there are some huge payouts in these games. Some bowls have alliances with conference ...[text shortened]... ven a good NFL QB, but he has a long way to go before those accolades roll in his direction.
All good points. If you want to know why things are the way they are, just look towards the almighty dollar as with anything else.

w

Moves
03 Dec 07

OSU v. LSU may be the best match-up of them all. LSU should be favored by 7 or 8 points and that may be the closest betting line of the bunch.[/b]
You know it is kind of ironic that the Big Ten is the only conference being picked upon here on these boards, yet OSU is the only school to have played in 3 NC games in the last 6 years. And just think, if OSU overcomes the odds they will have won 2 of the 3 NC games!! Why do the nay sayers like no1 not pick on the pathetic Big East as well or instead? Perhaps it is a bit of jealousy, no?

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
03 Dec 07

Originally posted by shortcircuit
You obviously do not understand the bowl process. After the BCS National Championship teams are determined, the remaining bowls have a draft, if you will, of all of the remaining teams. The picking order rotates each year. Now, remember, this is all about money because there are some huge payouts in these games. Some bowls have alliances with conference ...[text shortened]... ven a good NFL QB, but he has a long way to go before those accolades roll in his direction.
You "accurately predicted" nothing. You claimed that Ohio State and LSU were the two "best teams" and the BCS agreed with you. It's kinda ridiculous - LSU drops to 7th after losing to Arkansas and then jumps back to 2nd with a narrow win over Tennessee jumping George and 1-loss Kansas. It's a joke; obviously Hawaii deserves the shot but if you're going to drop down to 2 loss teams, USC is playing the best right now and their 2 losses were when their starting QB was out.

Your comments about Brennan are beyond ignorant. As I mentioned, he missed the equivalent of 3 games which has hurt his Heisman chances. Still after the way he's played all year, I expect to see him as a Heisman finalist. Brennan last year lit up 4 bowl eligible teams from BCS conferences and I expect him to have a big game against Georgia and Hawaii to score in the 30's. Whether that will be enough is debateable but clearly the Sugar is the best game of the bunch (Illinois against USC??????? Pleeze).

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
03 Dec 07

You know it is kind of ironic that the Big Ten is the only conference being picked upon here on these boards, yet OSU is the only school to have played in 3 NC games in the last 6 years. And just think, if OSU overcomes the odds they will have won 2 of the 3 NC games!! Why do the nay sayers like no1 not pick on the pathetic Big East as well or instead? Perhaps it is a bit of jealousy, no?
No it's because Big Ten loudmouths like you dominant this board. Last year you clowns wanted 2 teams from the Big Ten to play for the national championship! When they both got drubbed by superior teams, the others trotted out the usual excuses (which are being used as pre-excuses this year) or fell into a depression. You saw the light briefly in January 2007 but are back with the same baloney you were saying before OSU and Michigan got smashed.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
03 Dec 07

For the record, Colt Brennan went 42-50 for 442 yds w/ 5 TDs and 0 INT against Washington. "Big deal; Washington stinks" right? Well here's what other QBs from hightly rated teams did against the Huskies.

Boeckman (OSU) 14-25 218 yds 2TD - 0 INT
Booty (USC) 20-37 236 yds 1TD - 2 INT
Carpenter (ASU) 20-31 227 yds 2TD - 1 INT
Dixon (Oregon) 19-30 196 yds 1 TD - 1 INT

Colt is in a class by himself; Dixon was the likely Heisman winner before his injury but his stats against Washington were pedestrian compared to Brennan's.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
03 Dec 07

There are some pretty lop-sided, crazy match-ups.

Georgia v. Hawai'i? What did they match them up alphabetically? Hawaii has no business in that one. June Jones said it best when he said Washington was the best team they played all year.

I feel sorry for Michigan having to play the Gators..

Illinois plays the type of offense that bothers USC b ...[text shortened]... LSU should be favored by 7 or 8 points and that may be the closest betting line of the bunch.
Study this box score closely: http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/gameTrax?gameId=200711030068

Troy, an 8-4, mid-major, put up 373 Yards passing on Georgia and lost 44-34 in the Dawgs backyard. Haugabook and the other passers on Troy ain't Colt Brennan.

RN
RHP Prophet

pursuing happiness

Moves
03 Dec 07

I agree, some people on this forum seem to be overly antagonistic to the Big 10.

Admittedly, the SEC has been the best conference in the country in recent years. Better than the Big 10.

If you want to say the Pac 10 is also better than the Big 10, I think you can make that argument. I'm not sure that you are right, but you can make that argument.

As for the rest, I'm certainly not that impressed by the Big East, the ACC, of the WAC. And the Big 12 isn't any better than the Big 10 in my mind.

And I think you have to give some credit to OSU for making it to two consecutive title games. I think LSU will be and should be favored playing at home, but it is not impossible that OSU could pull the upset like they did against Miami.

master of disaster

funny farm

Moves
03 Dec 07

Originally posted by no1marauder
You "accurately predicted" nothing. You claimed that Ohio State and LSU were the two "best teams" and the BCS agreed with you. It's kinda ridiculous - LSU drops to 7th after losing to Arkansas and then jumps back to 2nd with a narrow win over Tennessee jumping George and 1-loss Kansas. It's a joke; obviously Hawaii deserves the shot but if you're going t ...[text shortened]... t clearly the Sugar is the best game of the bunch (Illinois against USC??????? Pleeze).
You are an IDIOT who can't even admit he's wrong when proven so. You are no longer worth my time to attempt to educate you. You ARE the no1moron.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
03 Dec 07

Originally posted by no1marauder
One word: Michigan.

You lose to a non-division I squad AT HOME, then get smashed by Oregon AT HOME and then because you run off a winning streak against Big Ten patsies you rise to #12????? The clowns with the funny helmets have still only played two road games, against pathetic Northwestern (which lost to otherwise winless Duke AT HOME)and ...[text shortened]... f Arizona State wins this week at Oregon, they deserve #1.

Let the howling begin.
I agree with you.
Kelly