1. Standard memberVirtue76
    King of the Ring-er
    Moves
    11 Oct '07 09:05
    Originally posted by Rooney Once a Blue
    Dear oh dear oh dear....... you are so dumb!

You have chosen to ignore all the failings I pointed out in the list of players you put forward as being better that Totti - ok, thats your choice, they were your dumb names.

Now you are going on about Totti over a 16 year period, WHY?

We have two base problems here.
    - You seem to lack the ...[text shortened]... d now than he use to.

Right now, Totti is playing far superior football to Kaka, GET IT?
    Now , now lets not start name calling. I have watched Totti recently against Man Utd and he did nothing to change my view on him, he is overrated. On current form he is not that good. Kaka is World player of the year for a reason. Because on CURRENT form he is the best.
  2. Standard memberASROMA
    Forza Azzurri!!!!!!!
    WC Champs 2006
    Moves
    11 Oct '07 13:532 edits
    I’ll come out of posting retirement to respond here.

Haven’t been on this site in a year and I come back to this.

Totti has not been a consistent goal scorer (as you put it, but 14th top goal scorer in Italian football history says he has) because he only started playing up front towards the end of his 2006 season (he broke his ankle against Empoli in February) and the whole of the 2007 season.

In the 2007 season he was Europe’s most prolific striker.

In 2008, he has 6 goals in 6 games in serie A and 1 in 2 in UCL.

If he didn’t impress you against United, it’s because you are blind.

He opened the United defence with splitting passes a number of times.

If Esposito, Mancini and Vucinic could finish, Totti could’ve had 3 assists.

He, Aquilani and Mexes were our best players

Plus one game doesn’t make a player.

That aside.

Numbers don’t lie.

Totti is the 14th all time scorer in the Serie A.

The only players in the modern era ahead of him are:

Signori
    Batistuta
    Baggio (4th in all time list)

Now if you knew anything about football, those three names would certainly make an impression on you.

Totti will almost certainly catch Signori, probably catch Batigol and unlikely catch Baggio.

Which would make him either the 1st or 2nd most prolific goal scorer in modern Italian football.

Impressive?

Definitely

More impressive is the fact that he played 95% of his career from midfield.

Totti is Italy’s most talented player of his generation save for Baggio perhaps

Look at him play week in and week out and then tell me he isn’t.

Look at the goals he scores, the passes he makes and the skill and beauty he brings to the game.

He tarnished his own reputation in the WC 02(against Korea) and Euro 04 (spitting).

The reason he became a bit of a diver is because defences in Italy literally couldn’t cope with him and resorted to hacking him down (not too dissimilar treatment was afforded to one Diego Maradonna).

Since Euro 04, he has removed that aspect from his game and has once again become Italy’s best player.

Hands down.

If Totti was English and playing for Man United, he would be considered the English Maradonna and would’ve won the ballon d or along time ago.

There is an horrendous bias in world football.

Such is the privilege awarded to English players and players playing in England (by the English press).

Just look at FIFA’s nominees for 30 best players.

How is the most prolific scorer in Europe omitted?

Totti scored more goals than Tevez and Torres combined, and they are both there and he isn’t.

Why?

Because they both made big money moves to England.

English players are overhyped and overrated.

I’m surprised Beckham and Owen aren’t in this years list.

Rooney is a great footballer, but he doesn’t have Totti’s class.

However, he is young. Give him time. Don’t put so much pressure on him already. Let him blossom for G-ds sake. The reason why he is so overhyped as well is because England has no one else up front. Give the guy a break!

Scholes is good, but he doesn’t have Pirlo’s vision and class. He is more of a worker and tackler, but still not as good as gattusso.

Ferdinand is an extremely solid centre back, but he is nowhere near the class of Nesta or Cannavaro.

A quote from an English speaking pundit, definitely British, not sure if he was English: ‘If Rio Ferdinand is worth 120 000 pounds a week, Fabio Cannavaro is worth a hundred million a day’.

Ask yourself why England can’t win a world cup. Overrated.

Do yourself a favour and go look at a young 20 year old Totti ripping through defences in Serie A.

Look at a young Totti singlehandedly winning games for Roma at the youngest of ages.

Look at his vision and creativity.

Name me another player that has his vision, clinical ability to finish, awesome technique, and leadership on the field.

His only weakness is in the air, and he isn’t even terribly bad at that.

Add to that the fact that he is an awesome leader on and off the field (UNICEF ambassador).

He just shot himself in the foot at on the international stage which was at his immature phase, and if he didn’t have such a blinding loyalty to Roma, he would’ve won it all.

There isn’t a team on this planet that wouldn’t want Totti, even today.

Real Madrid have tried numerous times.

As has Milan and Inter.

And so did Chelsea with Roman’s millions.

But he chose to stay in Rome and denied himself a better opportunity to win it all.

With the footballing world at his feet, he chose to stay in Rome, as our ambassador, and subject himself to terms like ‘overrated’ and play for a club that without him would languish in mid table obscurity.

That is something money can’t buy – something united supporters like yourself can’t understand.

There is only one Michelangelo and there is only one Totti.

Grazie Il Capitano.

We don’t care what the world thinks of you.

You are our hero, and when you are at your best, the world watches in awe.
  3. Standard memberVirtue76
    King of the Ring-er
    Moves
    11 Oct '07 14:09
    Originally posted by ASROMA

Totti has not been a consistent goal scorer (as you put it, but 14th top goal scorer in Italian football history says he has) because he only started playing up front towards the end of his 2006 season (he broke his ankle against Empoli in ...[text shortened]... rld thinks of you.

I hope you are joking about the bias towrds English and English based players.

Why on earth would FIFA favour our players?

You do make a good argument for Totti and as you seem to watch him more than I, I will take your case. I am saying I don't see it. Does he take Romas penalties? will contribute to his goal tally and he has been playing for 16 years!

Roma are not a mid table team, they still have quality players without Totti.
  4. Standard memberASROMA
    Forza Azzurri!!!!!!!
    WC Champs 2006
    Moves
    11 Oct '07 15:10
    Originally posted by Virtue76
    I hope you are joking about the bias towrds English and English based players.

Why on earth would FIFA favour our players?

You do make a good argument for Totti and as you seem to watch him more than I, I will take your case. I am saying I don't see it. Does he take Romas penalties? will contribute to his goal tally and he has been playing for 16 years!

Roma are not a mid table team, they still have quality players without Totti.
    This year we are a lot better than we were post Capello.

Although, Roma would not have finished 2nd were it not for Totti.

Top goal scorer and top assister in Serie A.

If you take his contribution out, who knows where we would’ve finished.

And the season before that.

Mid table is harsh – agreed.

Although he is by far our best player, and he deserves to be at a ‘better’ side.

But this year we have closed the gap.

Having re-read my post, I feel maybe I gave the wrong impression about my feelings toward English players or players playing in England.

But let me explain.

Look at the nominees:

I’ll start with Italians for some balance – Buffon and Cannavaro – Buffon played in Serie B! How can he get a nomination? He was awesome as he always is, but still. Cannavaro had the worst season of his life at Real.

Nesta – He spent more time in the USA treating a shoulder injury last season. He was injured for long periods of time. How is he nominated?

Pirlo – Anyone who watches Italian football will tell you Pirlo saved his good form for the CL and the WC. In Serie A he was murder.

Now – Tevez, Cech, Gerrard, Rooney, Terry, Henry, Essien, Drogba, Ronaldo, Torres, CRonaldo – all of these players either play or played in the Premiership last season. Tevez caught form towards the latter part of the season. Cech was injured for most of the season. Henry and Gerrard were rubbish. Torres has played like he does every season but gets nominated now because he moved to England in my opinion. Essien and Drogba, along with Rooney and Ronaldo were awesome last season and deserve the mention. But the rest don’t. And NONE of them do ahead of Totti in my opinion. Top goal scorer in Europe, and top assister in Italy, quite possibly in Europe (not sure how you check that). Why does Drogba, Rooney or Ronaldo deserve to be there and not him?

This is what I mean about favouritism in the press.

Players who play in England’s domestic league are over hyped.

When world cup rolls around, England is overhyped.

It’s a natural bias of course, but an annoying one nonetheless.

I’m sure it’s the same for Italian media, but I don’t read that.

And this bias has found it’s way to the monkeys that compiled that list.

Vieira? Thuram? Marquez?

What the ----?

They aren’t English, so I might be off base – nevertheless, players playing in England tend to be overrated in my opinion.

Walcott is the new Pele before World Cup 06.

England are favourites for euro 08 AFTER the world cup when all four semi finalists were European.

As for Kaka, he sucked in the league.

He was mercurial in the CL but make no mistake he was distinctly average in the league.

Totti will win Italian player of Serie A for sure.

That will be the seventh time he has won it.
  5. Standard memberASROMA
    Forza Azzurri!!!!!!!
    WC Champs 2006
    Moves
    11 Oct '07 15:17
    And about the penalties.

Totti missed 7 last season.

Had he scored them, he would've been the record holder for the most goals scored in a season in serie A. (I think, I stand to be corrected, but either he would've or he would've been very close).

In his first season as a striker.
  6. Standard memberasromacalcio
    asromacalcio
    Almaty, Kazakhstan
    Moves
    11 Oct '07 16:11

Although he is by far our best player, and he ...[text shortened]... tti will win Italian player of Serie A for sure.

Wish I could still rec posts.

Ditto ditto ditto.

Forza Roma!
  7. Joined
    28 Feb '07
    Moves
    11 Oct '07 16:36

Totti has not been a consistent goal scorer (as you put it, but 14th top goal scorer in Italian football history says he has) because he only started playing up front towards the end of his 2006 season (he broke his ankle against Empoli in ...[text shortened]... rld thinks of you.

Are you re retiring now!!!
  8. LA
    Moves
    12 Oct '07 05:47

Although he is by far our best player, and he ...[text shortened]... tti will win Italian player of Serie A for sure.

Thank you for explaining to the readers of this forum what an exceptional player Totti is and has always been.

He certainly is on current form one of the best players in the world, like I said second only to Messi.

I see a reasonable amount of Spanish and Italian football and Totti for years has been in the top 10 players in world football, but like you say, he doesn't get the recognition he deserves.

The people here who put Kaka ahead of Totti only see the Champons League games, they have no idea how consistent and committed Totti is at all levels.
    He also is a great goal scorer now and has always been great at assists.
    Kaka is actually playing just average right now but Totti is outstanding.
    Its unbelievable that an attacking midfielder may end up scoring more goals than Batistuta.

You are correct that there is an English bias when nominating for the best 30 players in the world.

I will say again that over the last year only 2 players stand out alone are:-
    Messi and Totti

The next set of best players in the world are (no bias intended):
    Rooney, Ronaldo, Vidic, Tevez, Anderson, Evra, Scholes, Giggs and maybe Drogba.
  9. LA
    Moves
    12 Oct '07 05:51
    Originally posted by Virtue76
    Now , now lets not start name calling. I have watched Totti recently against Man Utd and he did nothing to change my view on him, he is overrated. On current form he is not that good. Kaka is World player of the year for a reason. Because on CURRENT form he is the best.
    I appologize for the name calling.

Its just to put Kaka ahead of Totti and Messi on current form is something that just does not make sense.

I can only assume you watch the Champions League games.

There are many players right now playing much better football than Kaka.
  10. Joined
    28 Feb '07
    Moves
    12 Oct '07 07:31
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....OH PLEASE I CANT SEE FOR CRYING....HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! ....."WHEEZE" !!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!
  11. 6yd box
    Moves
    12 Oct '07 08:28
    [b]I’ll come out of posting retirement to respond here....
    Thats all very well, Asroma but what has Totti done on the world stage?

Look at lampard, he has scored 18+ goals a season for the last 3 seasons, but on the world stage, he has not done that well.

Unless people turn it on in the BIG games on a world stage you cannot call them 'world class'.

ie Zidane.. scored goals in world cup final, european cup final and then the Champions league final. Thats how you judge a world class player.
  12. 6yd box
    Moves
    12 Oct '07 08:331 edit
    Originally posted by Rooney Once a Blue
    ....getting boo'd off at the end of games
    - Problems with coaches getting sacked causing unrest in the squad?
    - Rotation Rafa picking the team by throwing a dice?
    You'll never walk again....
    Only sung by the kop at the end of games when you've won, which is quite easy to observe these days.[/b]
    Although i agree with you regarding some of your comments about liverpool....
    .... you as a person are just as bad, as you never post when Man U lose, but only come on to this forum after a United win!!!😉
  13. LA
    Moves
    12 Oct '07 09:45
    Originally posted by spurs73
    Although i agree with you regarding some of your comments about liverpool....
    .... you as a person are just as bad, as you never post when Man U lose, but only come on to this forum after a United win!!!😉
    Spurs73, what you say has some truth.

I will admit that most of my posts do coincide with Manchester United wins. Its because United still get lots of stick when they win, so i'm just fighting a losing battle if I post when they do not.

I will admit that as a Manchester United fan I am jelous of Liverpool being the most sucessful football club in England.
    I just don't think that United get the respect that they deserve.

Liverpool have won the league and European cup more than any other side in England, so naturally they are the most sucessful side in England.

The problem is that Liverpool fans never respect the achievements of Manchester United.
    - We are the only club to win the treble
    - We have won the Premiership 9 times
    - We always play football the way it should be played, attractive attacking football and sometimes with a solid defense.
    - We always have a full 76,000 stadium and we never disrespect the team win, lose or draw

This thread though is an example of how anti United many supporters are and I will stand up for United aganst this.

It is rediculous to say that United have completely failed with youth development, which is the basis of this thread.

In recent times the following players have developed:-
    Brown, o'Shea, Fletcher, Richardson, Rossi, Simpson, Pique, Higginbottom, Foster, Healy, Chadwick, Evans.

We also develop talent, such as Ronaldo, Rooney, Vidic, Evra

Only Arsenal and Spurs in England have achieved comparable youth development and I havn't menchoned: Beckham, Scholes, Giggs, Butt, G Neville, P Neville.

As for Spurs, they are actually my second favourate side.
    Some of my favourate players to have played in England are:-
    - Gascoigne, Hoddle, Waddle, Anderson (when fit), Campball, Klisngsman, Berbatov, Nico Clausen, that Scotish defender from 15 years ago (I can't remember his name)

I have my opinion on facts and I will try to defend them:-
    - Rooney is the best player in the Premiership
    - Messi is the best player in the world
    - Liverpool have no chance of winning the league
    - Manchester United have the best prospects in Anderson and Nani

It just gets a little boring when any positive thing that happens to United is replayed with "we've won it 5 times"

I would actually love to see Tottenham win something and feel really sorry for Jol because he's criticized all the time when people don't realize that new players need time to adapt and Spurs have had bad injury problems.
  14. LA
    Moves
    12 Oct '07 09:50
    Originally posted by Jay Joos
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....OH PLEASE I CANT SEE FOR CRYING....HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! ....."WHEEZE" !!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!
    Now that is a quality post.
  15. Standard memberASROMA
    Forza Azzurri!!!!!!!
    WC Champs 2006
    Moves
    12 Oct '07 10:111 edit
    Originally posted by spurs73
    Thats all very well, Asroma but what has Totti done on the world stage?

Look at lampard, he has scored 18+ goals a season for the last 3 seasons, but on the world stage, he has not done that well.

Unless people turn it on in the BIG games on a world stage you cannot call them 'world class'.

ie Zidane.. scored goals in world cup final, european cup final and then the Champions league final. Thats how you judge a world class player.
    Totti has played at 4 major international tournaments.

Euro 2000 - Totti was part of the dream team, and if I'm not mistaken, runner up to Zidane for player of the tournament (might've been Toldo, remember reading something like that, I could be wrong). But he was definitely part of the dream team, and Italy lost the final.

WC02 - Totti was sent off against Korea after getting a second yellow for diving. I am a Totti fan, and I've read people say he didn't dive. There WAS contact, but Totti was clearly looking for the penalty. His tournament ended in shame, and Italy lost the game in ET.

Euro 04 - Totti spat on Poulsen I think (Maybe Gravesen, although why anyone would spit on him is beyond me... He is a beast!). His tournament ended in shame and Italy got knocked out in the Group Stages.

WC 06 - Totti rushes his rehabilitation from a broken ankle to play in the WC. He is again in the team of the year, having only kicked a ball in a match again two weeks before the tournament started. Many people underestimate his contribution, but Italy won the WC and while he was not as influential as Buffon and Cannavaro, he was Italy's top assister.

Granted his international career has not been glittering, but on the world stage, he has WON THE WORLD CUP.

So for starts that's what he's won on the world stage. A world cup - something Fat Frank knows nothing about.

Secondly, Totti has never had the opportunity to play in a CL final, because Roma is not a European Super power. It's a lot easier for Zidane when he is playing for Real Madrid.

That argument is weak.

By that argument, George Best was not world class because he didn't win a world cup, and Pele was not world class because he didn't win a European trophy.

Totti has done it on one stage.

He didn't have the opportunity on the other.

Hopefully that will change this year.

And for the record, he was in last years CL dream team as well.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree