1. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    06 Oct '10 23:46
    Brilliant strategy by the Reds to let Halliday throw a no hitter in Game 1; the Phillies will surely suffer a plethora of dislocated shoulders patting themselves on the back. It will be a nice memory for Philly fans to savor after they are eliminated next week.
  2. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    06 Oct '10 23:48
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    If whodey doesn't have someone on Fox telling him what to think, he's clueless. He has been so beaten down by the idea that the rich are smarter and better than the rest of us and that absolutely nothing can be done about it (as you can see from Debates) that he has conceded the World Series to the Yankees and other franchises of and for the MegaRich for ...[text shortened]... incinnati Reds; it's like Pleasantville all over again - a return to what made America great.
    game 1 - Reds get zero hits -- I'm depending on the Reds for my picks to prevail -- c'mon whodey - your team needs you -- you need to get your fan privileges restored immediately.
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    07 Oct '10 02:38
    Brilliant strategy by the Reds to let Halliday throw a no hitter in Game 1; the Phillies will surely suffer a plethora of dislocated shoulders patting themselves on the back. It will be a nice memory for Philly fans to savor after they are eliminated next week.
    Isn't it? I think if they do it again it may rank them at the genious level.

A no hitter has only happened in post season play 2 times in history in 100 + years. How embarassing. 😳
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    07 Oct '10 02:39
    Originally posted by Melanerpes
    game 1 - Reds get zero hits -- I'm depending on the Reds for my picks to prevail -- c'mon whodey - your team needs you -- you need to get your fan privileges restored immediately.
    Ra, ra, sis boom ba!! Go team!! 😵
  5. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    07 Oct '10 13:07
    How about that Roy Halladay? He's great but still no Johan Santana! 😛
  6. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    07 Oct '10 14:55
    Originally posted by darvlay
    How about that Roy Halladay? He's great but still no Johan Santana! 😛
    LOL, I still think before this year Santana had a better career. I think the NL Cy Young should be real close between him and Wainright.
  7. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    07 Oct '10 15:55
    Originally posted by quackquack
    LOL, I still think before this year Santana had a better career. I think the NL Cy Young should be real close between him and Wainright.
    Not that close at all. Halladay led Philly to the promised land and Wainright led the Cards to also rans.
  8. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    07 Oct '10 16:03
    Originally posted by shortcircuit
    Not that close at all. Halladay led Philly to the promised land and Wainright led the Cards to also rans.
    Wainright and Halladay have almost exactly the same numbers. It is not the aces, but the rest of the team, which is the difference between those teams 2010.
  9. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    07 Oct '10 16:163 edits
    Originally posted by shortcircuit
    Team result shouldn't matter in CY voting. It's best pitcher, not most valuable pitcher or whatever the MVP is supposed to be.

As for Halladay v. Wainwright:

Record:

RH: 21-10 (led league in wins)
    AW: 20-11

A wash, especially since Halladay played for a better team

ERA:

RH: 2.44
    AW: 2.42

Slight edge to Halladay since he pitches in a tougher park; in ERA+, RH has the edge 165 to 161

IP (rounded):

RH: 250
    AW: 230

Edge: Halladay

BB/9

RH: 1.1
    AW: 2.2

K/9

RH: 7.3
    AW: 8.2

WHIP:

RH: 1.04
    AW: 1.05

Both had fantastic years, but I'd give the edge to Halladay, mostly on the strength of having pitched 20 more innings and having walked more than one fewer batter per 9 innings.
  10. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    07 Oct '10 17:191 edit
    Originally posted by sh76
    Team result shouldn't matter in CY voting. It's best pitcher, not most valuable pitcher or whatever the MVP is supposed to be.

As for Halladay v. Wainwright:

Record:

RH: 21-10 (led league in wins)
    AW: 20-11

A wash, especially since Halladay played for a better team

ERA:

RH: 2.44
    AW: 2.42

Slight edge to Halladay since he pitches in a tough of having pitched 20 more innings and having walked more than one fewer batter per 9 innings.
    its pretty much a statistical tie -- so Halladay's perfect game is the tiebreaker.

But why isn't the Cy Young award given to the "most valuable pitcher"? Why does the award for the best position player* include "valuableness", while the award for the best pitcher doesn't?

*I know that pitchers can and have won the MVP, but for some reason, the sportswriters don't think pitchers have much "valuableness".
  11. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    07 Oct '10 17:301 edit
    its pretty much a statistical tie -- so Halladay's perfect game is the tiebreaker.

But why isn't the Cy Young award given to the "most valuable pitcher"? Why does the award for the best position player* include "valuableness", while the award for the best pitcher doesn't?

*I know that pitchers can and have won the MVP, but for some reason, the sportswriters don't think pitchers have much "valuableness".
    Its just not fair. I mean, I'm sure if Wainright pitched against the Dreds he would have a perfect game as well. I cry foul!! 😠

So if Oslwalt pitches a perfect game in game two will this put Halladays supposid accomplishment into perspective?
  12. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    07 Oct '10 21:022 edits

I wouldn't call a perfect game a tiebreaker since the perfect game is built into those other numbers.

I would say that though it's close to a statistical tie, I don't think that it is. Halladays 20 extra innings is a significant difference between the two; and enough to swing the award to him.
  13. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    07 Oct '10 22:25
    For those who care, the Rangers routed the Rays again to go up 2-0. Only 1 team has ever come back from such a deficit to win a Division series.
  14. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    08 Oct '10 02:25
    For those who care, the Rangers routed the Rays again to go up 2-0. Only 1 team has ever come back from such a deficit to win a Division series.
    5 teams have come back from 2-0; it's 2-0 and going on the road that only one team has done. I remember the series well; it was the 2001 Yankees against the A's. Game 3 was saved by the famous Jeter "flip" play and the Yanks didn't look back.
  15. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    08 Oct '10 02:27
    Originally posted by sh76
    I wouldn't call a perfect game a tiebreaker since the perfect game is built into those other numbers.

I would say that though it's close to a statistical tie, I don't think that it is. Halladays 20 extra innings is a significant difference between the two; and enough to swing the award to him.
    I think the twenty innings is significant but I would want to know what the bullpens did (especially with inherited runners), the difference in ball park and the difference in defense. I am guessing that since none of those things are huge strong points for Philly, that Halladay would get the edge but really to me this is an extraordinarily close race.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree