1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    11 Oct '10 11:12
    Originally posted by shortcircuit
    The Phillies have the Reds right where they wanted them as well....SWEPT out of the playoffs!!
    Its their master plan. You see, they let them win this year so that when they face them next year they will catch them with their gaurd down. Brilliant!! 😵
  2. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    11 Oct '10 15:52
    A disappointing first appearance in the playoffs for MY Reds, but at least we still OWN Roy Oswalt.

They'll be many more post season appearances for this team; they're loaded with young talent. As baseball great Confucius said: The journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step.
  3. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    11 Oct '10 16:10
    Originally posted by sh76
    See; that's where my confusion comes in.

Unless I am completely misremembering, I seem to recall your saying something about being a Reds fan last year. Yet, Yankee Stadium was not torn down until this past off-season.

The renos of the 70s were comprehensive enough so that some people thought of it being kind of a new stadium.

In any case, the concept ...[text shortened]... se they changed stadiums is so odd that I'm having trouble taking the statement at face value.
    Technically the demolition of Yankee Stadium started prior to the 2009 season but wasn't completed until after it. This is nitpicking; the Stadium was abandoned and the team started playing in the Great Corporate Monstrosity on Opening Day 2009.

Some people think that aliens are mutilating cattle and moving around wheat in fields, too. The renovations in 1975 did not demolish Yankee Stadium or move it a half a mile away. One could still step out from the walkways and say "Babe Ruth played on that field".

What you find "odd" is your own business. The Yankees demolished a stadium with an unsurpassed history of great sporting events and one that was consistently filled with fans for the crassest commercial reasons imaginable. 51 luxury boxes designed so that the rich and affluent wouldn't have to deign to mingle with the peasantry replaced 5,000-7,000 seats that would have been crammed with loyal working and middle class fans. Additionally, a local park was bulldozed over and the city and state of New York were pressured to make infrastructure changes solely for the benefit of the Yankees. The whole affair was just another appalling chapter of corporate greed by a small group of individuals with no sense of history (though they hypocritically used the last year of the Stadium's existence as part of their advertising to sell tickets), no appreciation of the average fan and no sense of civic responsibility.

When Target spent a $500,000 to support a politician who wants to put invidious discrimination in the US Constitution, I stopped supporting that corporation. I do not ignore the actions of businesses that I find reprehensible when I am deciding how to spend my consumer dollar. The Yankees aren't worth any real baseball fans loyalty; they surely will not reciprocate it.
  4. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    11 Oct '10 18:01
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Technically the demolition of Yankee Stadium started prior to the 2009 season but wasn't completed until after it. This is nitpicking; the Stadium was abandoned and the team started playing in the Great Corporate Monstrosity on Opening Day 2009.

Some people think that aliens are mutilating cattle and moving around wheat in fields, too. T ...[text shortened]... ankees aren't worth any real baseball fans loyalty; they surely will not reciprocate it.
    Certainly you are free to root or not root for whomever you wish, I think your characterization that nothing was done for the neighborhood is inaccurate.

As part of the new Yankee stadium there are improvements to the new york city area. I was fortunate enough to be at game 3 of the Twins series and you can see new developments for the average person.

http://www.nycgovparks.org/sub_your_park/nyy_stadium/html/nyy_redevelopment.html
  5. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    11 Oct '10 20:00
    Originally posted by quackquack
    Certainly you are free to root or not root for whomever you wish, I think your characterization that nothing was done for the neighborhood is inaccurate.

As part of the new Yankee stadium there are improvements to the new york city area. I was fortunate enough to be at game 3 of the Twins series and you can see new developments for the average person.

http://www.nycgovparks.org/sub_your_park/nyy_stadium/html/nyy_redevelopment.html
    The Yankees didn't pay a single dime to finance any of those projects. And much of it is merely replacing parkland and other assets destroyed by the building of the Corporate Monstrosity.
  6. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    11 Oct '10 20:14

Some people think that aliens are mutilating cattle and moving around wheat in fields, too. T ...[text shortened]... ankees aren't worth any real baseball fans loyalty; they surely will not reciprocate it.
    But answer me this... IF you stopped shopping at Target, then where do you buy your clothes now??? 😛
  7. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    15 Oct '10 19:42
    As much as I HATE to say it but it will be the Yankees.
  8. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    15 Oct '10 20:43
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    As much as I HATE to say it but it will be the Yankees.
    Disagree. Even if they beat the Rangers I seriously doubt they can beat the Phillies! Frankly, I doubt they will beat the Rangers!
  9. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    15 Oct '10 22:59
    The Yankees didn't pay a single dime to finance any of those projects. And much of it is merely replacing parkland and other assets destroyed by the building of the Corporate Monstrosity.
    Yankee stadium was a joint venture with the contruction costs and necessary transportation improvements shared. The city, the Yankees and the citizens all receive benefits. I have no problem with sharing costs. If you think the Yankees should pay for the entire cost of the stadium and the city should pay (the hundreds of millions) of improvements around the stadium area, I have no problem with that either.
  10. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    16 Oct '10 10:25
    Yankee stadium was a joint venture with the contruction costs and necessary transportation improvements shared. The city, the Yankees and the citizens all receive benefits. I have no problem with sharing costs. If you think the Yankees should pay for the entire cost of the stadium and the city should pay (the hundreds of millions) of improvements around the stadium area, I have no problem with that either.
    I don't think the Stadium should have been torn down, so there were no "NECESSARY" transportation improvements.

I don't think the city should have had to pay to replace parkland and other city assets destroyed by the building of the new stadium as they did.

I fail to see how improvements made by the city to other areas not affected by the building of the stadium have anything to do with it even though the city to help justify being raped by the Yankees included these actually unrelated matters in their Plan. This was disingenuous and dishonest.
  11. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    16 Oct '10 13:04
    I don't think the Stadium should have been torn down, so there were no "NECESSARY" transportation improvements.

I don't think the city should have had to pay to replace parkland and other city assets destroyed by the building of the new stadium as they did.

I fail to see how improvements made by the city to other ar ...[text shortened]... ncluded these actually unrelated matters in their Plan. This was disingenuous and dishonest.
    We live in a democracy and (thankfully) you don't get to decide everything. The city, the Yankees and fans seem to enjoy the new ballpark and the crazy revenues it produces. It is not unreasonable from time to time to build new structures -- even if the new building is across the street from the old Yankee Stadium. There are far worse thing the city can do than pitch in for improving mass transet and building park.
  12. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    16 Oct '10 13:30
    We live in a democracy and (thankfully) you don't get to decide everything. The city, the Yankees and fans seem to enjoy the new ballpark and the crazy revenues it produces. It is not unreasonable from time to time to build new structures -- even if the new building is across the street from the old Yankee Stadium. There are far worse thing the city can do than pitch in for improving mass transet and building park.
    Don't make me laugh. "Democracy"??? I didn't see the city asking the people to vote on this project. They may have balked at issuing $942 million worth of tax exempt bonds for the benefit of a private corporation.
  13. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    16 Oct '10 15:43
    Don't make me laugh. "Democracy"??? I didn't see the city asking the people to vote on this project. They may have balked at issuing $942 million worth of tax exempt bonds for the benefit of a private corporation.
    People may balked at spending money for subways and parks too. In fact, if you let people directly vote on what they feel the governments budget should be, zero would probably win. It is probably why government does not let them decide.

NYC needs to kick in money if they want a new stadium in the Bronx (as opposed to Manhattan). NYC also needs to help provide infrastructure if it wants to collect money both directly and indirectly from the millions of people who attend Yankee games each year, go to restaurants, pay for parking, by Yankee items etc. It is a joint venture with the Yankees certainly not have a deal nearly as good as many teams in many different locals
  14. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    16 Oct '10 16:21
    People may balked at spending money for subways and parks too. In fact, if you let people directly vote on what they feel the governments budget should be, zero would probably win. It is probably why government does not let them decide.

NYC needs to kick in money if they want a new stadium in the Bronx (as opposed to Manhattan). NYC also needs to ...[text shortened]... with the Yankees certainly not have a deal nearly as good as many teams in many different locals
    Then they cut off their face by building a stadium, at huge cost, that had a significantly lower seating capacity:

Attendance in the last two years at Yankee Stadium:

2007: 4,271,000
    2008: 4,298,000

Attendance in the first two years at the Corporate Monstrosity:

2009: 3,719,000
    2010: 3,765,000

So by this brilliant plan, the city managed to reduce by about half a million the number of people paying for parking, going to restaurants, etc. etc.
  15. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    17 Oct '10 03:34
    Then they cut off their face by building a stadium, at huge cost, that had a significantly lower seating capacity:

Attendance in the last two years at Yankee Stadium:

2007: 4,271,000
    2008: 4,298,000

Attendance in the first two years at the Corporate Monstrosity:

2009: ...[text shortened]... by about half a million the number of people paying for parking, going to restaurants, etc. etc.
    As you know there are fewer seats in new Yankee stadium so there is a slight decline in attendance. But revenues in the past two years are up as their are more boxes and more revenue per seat. Since the city needs money to operate, it is never bad to do things that increase revenue. I am sure that NYC and the Yankees in no way regret their decision to build a new Yankee Stadium and with 3,765,000 million fans, I am sure no one can whether or not you were there.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree