1. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    22 Nov '10 20:032 edits
    Originally posted by sh76
    Oh, don't worry... it would be very, very difficult to accuse the Bengals and Browns of doing anything illicit that would tend to allow them to win...

😛
    No....the idea is that those two teams deliberately played badly to throw off the invesigators. Even for the Bengals, it's kind of odd to have a 17 point halftime lead against the awful Bills and then end up losing 49-31. And Cleveland benefits from SIX opposition turnovers and still can't win their game. Very strange.

Then there's the Jets. Someone tell them they shouldn't be relying on pixie dust in the last minutes of the game to defeat second-tier opponents. (and who is providing them with this pixie dust? Does it have anything to do with Whodey? And the Jets next play the Bengals on Thanksgiving. The plot continues to expand....)
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    23 Nov '10 03:544 edits
    Originally posted by Melanerpes
    [ Even for the Bengals, it's kind of odd to have a 17 point halftime lead against the awful Bills and then end up losing 49-31.
    Uh....apparently you don't follow the Bungs. Let me give you an education.

The Bengals were begun by one Paul Brown. This after he was kicked out of Clevland after starting the team, he vowed revenge and started the fledgling Bengals. Paul was a football maverick who won national titles beforehand with Ohio State. Simply put, he was the best at what he did. With limited resources he consistantly owned the Browns and took his teams to two Super Bowls, both of which could have gone either way. Conversely, the Browns have NEVER even been to a Super Bowl. Then the unimaginable happened. Paul Brown died in 1990 as the Bengals played in their last playoff game that year for over a decade.

Then enters Mike Brown his son. Mike was a lawyer by trade, and focused mainly on the finances of the team when his father owned them. The year his father died the Bengals went to the playoffs and he was quoted as saying that the team lost too much money and that it would never happen again. Since that time the Bengals soon became known as the Bungals. To give you an idea, there are four teams in NFL history that have started their season going 0-6 four different times. The Bungs are not only one of those famous four teams, they have gone 0-6 six times!! To give you a better perspective of those numbers, five of the six times the Bengals went 0-6 was under Mike Brown.

Of course, I'm not sure you still have an accurate picture of what a train wreck the organization became after Mikey boy took over the team. To put it into better perspective, the Bungs were so bad at one time that a tarp was errected on the sidlines that extended from where the players entered the field to where they sat on the sidelines because the fans, who actually showed up, pelted their own players with whatever they could grab hold of. Mikey boy was always looking to cut corners and save money. For example, Mike Brown used to be the only owner who would fly his team into a visiting city on Saturday rather than Friday just to save a buck or two on hotel expenses. In addition, the Bengals are one of the few teams without a GM and has one of the fewest scouts in the NFL. Those that are hired are probably related to Mike Brown in some way as he has made it into a family business. The team became so bad Melanerpes that the city of Cincinnati sued Mike Brown after building him a state of the art facility in one Mike Brown Stadium that the tax payers flipped the bill for. In the contract they underlined a clause that said something to the effect that the city of Cincinnati was providing him with the stadium in order to field a "competitive team". They underlined the phrase "competitive team" and claimed he had not been living up to the contract as stated. The next thing you know Marvin Lewis rolls into town with Carson Palmer and they go to thier very first playoff appearence since 1990!! Then they proceed to lose the first game. In fact, the Bungs have gone the longest of any existing NFL team in terms of not having won a playoff game!!

Other than that they are a great organization!! So please, NEVER again say that it is odd for the Bungs to do anything pathetically horrible.
  3. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    23 Nov '10 21:04
    Originally posted by whodey
    Uh....apparently you don't follow the Bungs. Let me give you an education.

The Bengals were begun by one Paul Brown. This after he was kicked out of Clevland after starting the team, he vowed revenge and started the fledgling Bengals. Paul was a football maverick who won national titles beforehand with Ohio State. Simply put, he was the best at what he ...[text shortened]... please, NEVER again say that it is odd for the Bungs to do anything pathetically horrible.
    Governor-elect Kasich was evidently outraged by this statement. "How dare Whodey claim to be a conservative and then argue that a business has a responsibility that goes beyond maximizing the bottom line. The deal is OFF!!"

When asked about what this "deal" was all about, Kasich brandished an Ochocinco jersey at the reporter and said something about "don't make me use this!!" Since then, he has been unavailable for comment.
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    23 Nov '10 22:10
    Originally posted by Melanerpes
    Governor-elect Kasich was evidently outraged by this statement. "How dare Whodey claim to be a conservative and then argue that a business has a responsibility that goes beyond maximizing the bottom line. The deal is OFF!!"

When asked about what this "deal" was all about, Kasich brandished an Ochocinco jersey at the reporter and said something about "don't make me use this!!" Since then, he has been unavailable for comment.
    Actually, I could care less about the organization now. Mikey can do what he likes. 😀

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree