2. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    12 May '08 05:041 edit
    Originally posted by MoneyManMike
    http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=215

ESPN has him listed as Center.
    They are wrong. He was a power forward when he came up - David Robinson was the center - and Oberto usually starts at center and Thomas comes in and plays it for the Spurs now.

Duncan was listed as a forward on the NBA All-Star ballot. http://www.nba.com/features/ballot_west_forwards_071227.html
  3. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    12 May '08 05:093 edits
    Tim Duncan plays both positions depending on who is out on the floor with him and/or against him. Saying that he isn't a center is flat out wrong. Its like saying that since Kobe plays SG a lot that he isn't also a SF. Or that since LeBron plays SF that he can't never be considered a PG, or a Point Forward if you will. There are many different varia its any easier to comprehend, Tim Duncan is the most dominant "Big Man" in today's game.
    He's not a center, period. He may, for short periods, play center but he sets up 90%+ of the time as a power forward. Anybody who has followed basketball even casually knows this. If you are going to claim that someone is the best center in the NBA (as you did), that should be their primary position.

To recap: The Spurs depth chart lists him at power forward and the official NBA All-Star ballot lists him at forward.
  4. Joined
    27 Dec '06
    Moves
    12 May '08 05:11
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    BTW, LA's "triangle offense" looked an awful lot like "give the ball to one guy while the others stand around in crunch time" today ala the Cavs and King James. 34 shots by Kobe including 1-7 in the OT? How many did "Mr. High Basketball IQ" get blocked? I saw Kirilenko stuff him at least once in OT.
    You can nit pick all you want at the box score, but Kobe's b-ball IQ nearly stole the game away from the Jazz. His non-scoring contributions gave the Lakers a chance to win the game on their last possession in regulation, Odom just missed that three. Oh yea, apparently Kobe had a back injury today, meaning he was a step slower than usual, but yea it was a clean block for Kirilenko, props to him. But tell me this, what its the ratio of block shots to free throw / layup attempts for Kobe in this series? I would assume its pretty favorable for Kobe, unlike Rondo in his series where the Cavs are straight up abusing him just like the Hawks did before them.
  5. Joined
    27 Dec '06
    Moves
    12 May '08 05:17
    He's not a center, period. He may, for short periods, play center but he sets up 90%+ of the time as a power forward. Anybody who has followed basketball even casually knows this. If you are going to claim that someone is the best center in the NBA (as you did), that should be their primary position.

To recap: The Spurs depth chart lists him at power forward and the official NBA All-Star ballot lists him at forward.
    http://www.nba.com/playerfile/tim_duncan/

The NBA lists him as a Forward/Center. I believe that when he was on the Olympic team he primarily played center. In conclusion, just because that the Spurs have the personal right now to play him at the PF position doesn't mean that he isn't a center. Thats real bad logic. Duncan is a very versatile player and he is definitely the most dominant Center and/or Power Forward in today's game.
  6. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    12 May '08 05:18
    You can nit pick all you want at the box score, but Kobe's b-ball IQ nearly stole the game away from the Jazz. His non-scoring contributions gave the Lakers a chance to win the game on their last possession in regulation, Odom just missed that three. Oh yea, apparently Kobe had a back injury today, meaning he was a step slower than usual, but yea it w ...[text shortened]... o in his series where the Cavs are straight up abusing him just like the Hawks did before them.
    What game did you watch? The "last possession in regulation" was Derek Fisher blocking D. Williams' jumper - how exactly did Kobe contribute to that? The Lakers tied it when Kobe brilliantly missed a shot and Odom got the rebound and put back, presumably EXACTLY as Kobe had planned. Kobe was too busy gunning in the OT to make any non-scoring contributions. If his back was hurting soooooooooooooo bad, perhaps he should have put aside his ego and let somebody else be the focus of the offense.

Your constant attempts to compare a 6-6 player to a 6-1 one in comparison to their ratio of shots being blocked is laughable.
  7. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    12 May '08 05:212 edits
    http://www.nba.com/playerfile/tim_duncan/

The NBA lists him as a Forward/Center. I believe that when he was on the Olympic team he primarily played center. In conclusion, just because that the Spurs have the personal right now to play him at the PF position doesn't mean that he isn't a center. Thats real bad logic. Duncan is a very versatile player and he is definitely the most dominant Center and/or Power Forward in today's game.
    Apparently the Spurs have always had the personnel so that Duncan plays very little center. Therefore, calling him a center is bad "logic"; Magic could and did play center in the 6th game of the NBA Finals but he wasn't considered a center.

You can't use him at center according to nba.com fantasy depth chart http://www.nba.com/depth_charts/dcWest.html
  8. Joined
    27 Dec '06
    Moves
    12 May '08 05:351 edit
    What game did you watch? The "last possession in regulation" was Derek Fisher blocking D. Williams' jumper - how exactly did Kobe contribute to that? The Lakers tied it when Kobe brilliantly missed a shot and Odom got the rebound and put back, presumably EXACTLY as Kobe had planned. Kobe was too busy gunning in the OT to make any non-scoring contribution ...[text shortened]... e a 6-6 player to a 6-1 one in comparison to their ratio of shots being blocked is laughable.
    Apparently you need to go back to grammar school because I said "their last possession" in reference to the Lakers. The Lakers big comeback came in the last 5 mins of regulation on three point makes by Fisher and Odom, which were assisted by Kobe. In other words, non scoring contributions. So he did put his ego aside and let the other players focus on offense. In OT, the Jazz played solid D and shut down a lot of the Lakers plays, forcing Kobe to chuck the ball. Sometimes that happens, oh well, Utah won fair and square. At least the Lakers didn't get blown out like what keeps happening to the Celtics on the road this postseason.
  9. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    12 May '08 05:411 edit
    Apparently you need to go back to grammar school because I said "their last possession" in reference to the Lakers. The Lakers big comeback came in the last 5 mins of regulation on three point makes by Fisher and Odom, which were assisted by Kobe. In other words, non scoring contributions. So he did put his ego aside and let the other players focus o ...[text shortened]... rs didn't get blown out like what keeps happening to the Celtics on the road this postseason.
    LMAO!

You said:

His non-scoring contributions gave the Lakers a chance to win the game on their last possession in regulation, Odom just missed that three.

So what "last possession" are you referring to?

A loss counts as a loss in the playoffs last I checked.

And your comment about the OT is ridiculous as anybody who watched the game knows. Kobe quite obviously was determined to take the shots and did; no attempt was made to run plays on the possessions he took shots (at least any play that didn't involve him taking the shot).
  10. Joined
    27 Dec '06
    Moves
    12 May '08 05:42
    Apparently the Spurs have always had the personnel so that Duncan plays very little center. Therefore, calling him a center is bad "logic"; Magic could and did play center in the 6th game of the NBA Finals but he wasn't considered a center.

You can't use him at center according to nba.com fantasy depth chart http://www.nba.com/depth_charts/dcWest.html
    Well, what ever you want to identify him as, Duncan is a far more dominant player than Howard, which is why I put him as the most dominant big man in today's game.
  11. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    12 May '08 05:441 edit
    Well, what ever you want to identify him as, Duncan is a far more dominant player than Howard, which is why I put him as the most dominant big man in today's game.
    No, you said: I think Duncan is the best center in the league. .

You were wrong. Deal with it.
  12. Joined
    27 Dec '06
    Moves
    12 May '08 05:51
    LMAO!

You said:

His non-scoring contributions gave the Lakers a chance to win the game on their last possession in regulation, Odom just missed that three.

So what "last possession" are you referring to?

A loss counts as a loss in the playoffs last I checked.
    Exactly, Kobe helped his team tie the game and then Odom missed the game winner and Pau got the board, then they inbounded to Kobe who missed and Odom cleaned it up. That was the Lakers' last possession. Phil Jackson wanted Odom to take that shot to steal the game away from Utah. The gamble didn't work and now the series is tied. No worries we have home court advantage.
  13. Joined
    27 Dec '06
    Moves
    12 May '08 05:54
    No, you said: I think Duncan is the best center in the league. .

You were wrong. Deal with it.
    I still think he is the best center in the league but your too thick skulled to accept it so I dumbed down the definition for you. You know, I am beginning to think your not a senile old man, but rather a snot nosed teenager Celtic bandwagon poser.
  14. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    12 May '08 06:00
    I still think he is the best center in the league but your too thick skulled to accept it so I dumbed down the definition for you. You know, I am beginning to think your not a senile old man, but rather a snot nosed teenager Celtic bandwagon poser.
    It's typical of immature people who have been proven wrong to resort to personal attacks. I guess the Spurs and the people who make up the All Star Ballot are equally "thick skulled" as they list Tim Duncan as a forward, the position he actually plays 90%+ of the time. You may "think" whatever you want, but that doesn't mean what you "think" isn't wrong - as it is in this case.
  15. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    12 May '08 06:041 edit
    Exactly, Kobe helped his team tie the game and then Odom missed the game winner and Pau got the board, then they inbounded to Kobe who missed and Odom cleaned it up. That was the Lakers' last possession. Phil Jackson wanted Odom to take that shot to steal the game away from Utah. The gamble didn't work and now the series is tied. No worries we have home court advantage.
    It's true that Odom missed a 3 pointer with 14 seconds left, but that's too much time to call it a "game winner"; even if he had made it (he's not a great 3 point shooter though he had just made a big one) the Jazz would have had a lot of time to set up a play (something they didn't have in the actual finish).

In OT, Kobe took every Laker shot but one until there was less than a minute left.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree