Seahawks will win NFC west

Seahawks will win NFC west

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

U

Moves
17 Dec 12

Originally posted by tomtom232
A strong run game opens up the deep ball.

Thats why it is the Patriots weakness, because they have poor Dbacks. Any defensive back in the NFL can look like a star if he only has to play the pass but once you get them to hesitate a little or come a little too far forward then BOOM over the top for a TD. I'd hardly give credit to CK for those as any QB w ...[text shortened]... de set because he can run the ball... however, I'm still not sold on him playing over A Smith.
You're crazy. Alex Smith rarely even attempts those passes. He was dead last in the league in pass attempts over 15 yards, and 29th in pass attempts over 10.

I tend to trust the judgment of the one coach who actually made Alex Smith respectable. He was a horrible, horrible bust for years before Harbaugh came in.

t

Moves
17 Dec 12
4 edits

Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
You're crazy. Alex Smith rarely even attempts those passes. He was dead last in the league in pass attempts over 15 yards, and 29th in pass attempts over 10.

I tend to trust the judgment of the one coach who actually made Alex Smith respectable. He was a horrible, horrible bust for years before Harbaugh came in.
You forget what he did against the Bills in the 49ers last 40 point performance. 303 yds on only 18 completions which is almost 17 yds per completion, 3 tds and no interceptions.

CK only had 216 yds on 14 completions which is about 15.5 yards per completions, 4 tds and 1 interception.

Please don't try to compare the teams becasue the Bills D actually gives up less yds/game than the Patriots and the overall landscape of both defenses looks eerily similar. CK or A Smith weren't the reasons that their team scored big in those games. I'd give more credit to the running game.

In other News I don't think the Patriots will win the SB because if they make it they will likely have to play against the Niners, Packers, Seahawks, or Falcons (my top four "seeds" to make it to the SB from the NFC) Two of those teams have already beat the Pats and obviously match up really well against them and the other two are just damn good football teams.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
17 Dec 12
2 edits

Going into last night's game according to the stats at ESPN, 10 of CK passes have been thrown beyond 21 yards out of 129 attempted (7.8😵 and he had 5 of 10 with no TDs.http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/splits/_/id/14001/colin-kaepernick

Alex Smith had thrown 17 beyond 21 out of 217 (also 7.8😵 and completed 8 for 3 TDs.http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/splits/_/id/8416/alex-smith

Now they haven't updated, so CK's numbers will increase (though one of his TDs throws was on a short pass). But the stats are little different. People often have perceptions based on their selective memory. This seems to be the case with your bias against Alex Smith.

EDIT: And the 49ers are 31st in number of passes attempted, so the figures as to the rarity of Smith throwing over 10 or 20 yards are misleading at best.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
17 Dec 12

By contrast, the Seahawks have thrown even less passes than the Niners, but they go deep a lot. Going into yesterday, Russell Wilson had thrown 51 passes of more than 20 yards or 15.5% of his attempts. He's not all that good at it (yet) completing only 17 (33.3😵 for 7TDs and 5 INTs, but it does show a difference in the offensive coaching philosophy.

t

Moves
17 Dec 12

Originally posted by no1marauder
By contrast, the Seahawks have thrown even less passes than the Niners, but they go deep a lot. Going into yesterday, Russell Wilson had thrown 51 passes of more than 20 yards or 15.5% of his attempts. He's not all that good at it (yet) completing only 17 (33.3😵 for 7TDs and 5 INTs, but it does show a difference in the offensive coaching philosophy.
I wonder what the league avg is for completion % over 20 yards?

master of disaster

funny farm

Moves
17 Dec 12

How can you discern the true distance of the pass thrown?
A screen pass behind the line to a wide out who runs the ball 30 yards is not a 30 yard
pass, but the result of the play is a 30 yard play.

These QB's that throw a lot of dinks and then have their receivers make plays are
great for their stats, but not truly throwing down field. Don't you agree?

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
17 Dec 12

Originally posted by shortcircuit
How can you discern the true distance of the pass thrown?
A screen pass behind the line to a wide out who runs the ball 30 yards is not a 30 yard
pass, but the result of the play is a 30 yard play.

These QB's that throw a lot of dinks and then have their receivers make plays are
great for their stats, but not truly throwing down field. Don't you agree?
There are guys paid at ESPN to look at the video and compute the number of passes that are thrown at the different distances. They don't just look at the box scores or play by play.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
17 Dec 12
1 edit

This seems to be surprisingly hard information to find; there doesn't seem to be any place on ESPN or NFL.com which give league totals on the passing splits.

Looking at some of the "top" QBs, Brees, Rodgers, Peyton and Eli are around 40%. Brady is only 17 for 54 or 31.5%.

t

Moves
18 Dec 12

This seems to be surprisingly hard information to find; there doesn't seem to be any place on ESPN or NFL.com which give league totals on the passing splits.

Looking at some of the "top" QBs, Brees, Rodgers, Peyton and Eli are around 40%. Brady is only 17 for 54 or 31.5%.
That's why I asked because I couldn't find it. Thanks for the info. It seems that he's doing pretty good for his rookie year... He could win rookie of the year depending on his, Luck's and Griffin's performances down the stretch. We'll see what happens against the 49ers.

U

Moves
18 Dec 12
1 edit

Going into last night's game according to the stats at ESPN, 10 of CK passes have been thrown beyond 21 yards out of 129 attempted (7.8😵 and he had 5 of 10 with no TDs.http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/splits/_/id/14001/colin-kaepernick

Alex Smith had thrown 17 beyond 21 out of 217 (also 7.8😵 and completed 8 for 3 TDs.http://espn.go.com/ so the figures as to the rarity of Smith throwing over 10 or 20 yards are misleading at best.
I'll try to find it, but someone on a sports message board posted something (I think from ESPN) that ranked Smith 29th and 31st in pass attempts beyond 10 and 15 yards last year.

I couldn't find whether or not what you linked is accounting for yards after catch for the completed catches.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
18 Dec 12
1 edit

I'll try to find it, but someone on a sports message board posted something (I think from ESPN) that ranked Smith 29th and 31st in pass attempts beyond 10 and 15 yards last year.

I couldn't find whether or not what you linked is accounting for yards after catch for the completed catches.
It isn't the categories are clearly labelled "Pass thrown Behind Line of Scrimmage" "Pass thrown 1-10 yds" etc. etc. etc.

Last year Smith threw 36 passes 20+ yards out of 445 (8.1😵 about the same as this year and about the same as CK has. The 49ers went 13-3; was that that big of a problem?

And again, if all you are looking at is the total number of such attempts, the 49ers threw less passes last year than every team in the league but Denver. Therefore, it's hardly surprising that Smith would be "29th and 31st in pass attempts beyond 10 and 15 yards last year".

U

Moves
18 Dec 12
1 edit

It isn't the categories are clearly labelled "Pass thrown Behind Line of Scrimmage" "Pass thrown 1-10 yds" etc. etc. etc.

Last year Smith threw 36 passes 20+ yards out of 445 (8.1😵 about the same as this year and about the same as CK has. The 49ers went 13-3; was that that big of a problem?

And again, if all you are looking at g that Smith would be "29th and 31st in pass attempts beyond 10 and 15 yards last year".
http://wp.advancednflstats.com/playerstats.php?pos=QB

Percent Deep = "% Pass Att > 15 yds"

Colin Kaepernick is ranked #5 at 24%

Alex Smith is ranked #39 at 13.9%

I think when you define "deep" as greater than 20 yard passes those tend to be so seldom for most QB's it's not really a good way to compare.

BTW, other than the mere fact that I prefer Kaepernick over Smith, on what basis do you accuse me of having bias?

d

Moves
18 Dec 12

That's why I asked because I couldn't find it. Thanks for the info. It seems that he's doing pretty good for his rookie year... He could win rookie of the year depending on his, Luck's and Griffin's performances down the stretch. We'll see what happens against the 49ers.
He won't win rookie of the year, and shouldn't. The seahawks were pretty good last year. The colts were terrible. Luck has made the biggest difference as a rookie, though RG3 has been very impressive.

U

Moves
18 Dec 12

Originally posted by dryhump
He won't win rookie of the year, and shouldn't. The seahawks were pretty good last year. The colts were terrible. Luck has made the biggest difference as a rookie, though RG3 has been very impressive.
Well, the fact that it's not his rookie year might be a factor as well.

Just sayin....

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
19 Dec 12
1 edit

http://wp.advancednflstats.com/playerstats.php?pos=QB

Percent Deep = "% Pass Att > 15 yds"

Colin Kaepernick is ranked #5 at 24%

Alex Smith is ranked #39 at 13.9%

I think when you define "deep" as greater than 20 yard passes those tend to be so seldom for most QB's it's not really a good way to compare.

BTW, other than the mere fact that I prefer Kaepernick over Smith, on what basis do you accuse me of having bias?
You were discussing deep passes and claimed "Alex Smith rarely even attempts those passes". In truth, he tries those passes about as much as CK. It does seem that the SF passing game with CK throws more 11-20 pass plays by a small factor. ESPN still hasn't updated the splits, but AS threw 74.2% of his passes under 10 yards and CK 69.0%.

Last year, AS threw about the same percentage of passes over 15 yards as Drew Brees did. Is that a problem?