upcoming Ashes Tests

upcoming Ashes Tests

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

m

Moves
21 Aug 09

Originally posted by Crowley
Interesting idea, but then we take out the 'gamble' element and teams might even put their teams together based on it, ie. have two spinners in because the pitch starts turning on days 4 & 5 and you know you will bowl then.

It just won't work.
They had an interesting suggestion on the radio a minute ago. I'm not yet sure what I think about it. It works like this:

Each team (after selecting the team, so you still have that element of judgement) submits a sealed bid of how many runs they are prepared to concede in order to win the "toss". Whoever wins the bid gets to choose, but they give the opposition a head start.

rc

Moves
21 Aug 09

Originally posted by mtthw
Well, if they're batting for a draw at the moment they're hiding it well 🙂.
oh man, we are facing a national disaster! Karoly get that incense out again and get it offered up to appease the mighty ones!

C
Not Aleister

Control room

Moves
21 Aug 09

They had an interesting suggestion on the radio a minute ago. I'm not yet sure what I think about it. It works like this:

Each team (after selecting the team, so you still have that element of judgement) submits a sealed bid of how many runs they are prepared to concede in order to win the "toss". Whoever wins the bid gets to choose, but they give the opposition a head start.
Now that is REALLY interesting. Nice bit of gambling, although if you're confident in your read of the pitch and your players you can actually gamble.

Great idea!

F
9 Edits

London

Moves
21 Aug 09

I heard that on the radio too and thought it was a great idea. Not sure how enthused the cricket traditionalists would be about it though!!

DS

Moves
22 Aug 09

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
oh man, we are facing a national disaster! Karoly get that incense out again and get it offered up to appease the mighty ones!
Hey robbie, what's the score? LOL

rc

Moves
22 Aug 09

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
Hey robbie, what's the score? LOL
where is Karoly when you need him for moral and spiritual support? I shall be on suicide watch for the next twenty four hours!

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
23 Aug 09
2 edits

I'm putting the incense on for tonight.
I dont know, I still reckon the Aussies thought they were definately headed for ashes glory, draw or win,in the first innings. I reckon Pontings dismissal summed it up. Playing back, chopping on. A very soft dismissal. He seemed so hesitant for such a natural plunderer.

Now if the Aussies get through the morning session with only 0 or 1 wicket gone that session they will be well and truly alive.

I've heard that English bookies have Aus. at 4-1. Are you kidding?
Where are they getting that from?

England have played well,mind you, and its up to them to win it. If they just start setting fields for containing runs the Aussies will come at them. I mean they've got to make 460 more,or something.

rc

Moves
23 Aug 09

Originally posted by karoly aczel
I'm putting the incense on for tonight.
I dont know, I still reckon the Aussies thought they were definately headed for ashes glory, draw or win,in the first innings. I reckon Pontings dismissal summed it up. Playing back, chopping on. A very soft dismissal. He seemed so hesitant for such a natural plunderer.

Now if the Aussies get through the mor ...[text shortened]... taining runs the Aussies will come at them. I mean they've got to make 460 more,or something.
please please please Karoly, tell me they can do it! Aussies are still good! it is at least possible!

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
23 Aug 09

please please please Karoly, tell me they can do it! Aussies are still good! it is at least possible!
Well it was possible before Katich padded up and Watson played late again. I dont care if England wins but not like that!
My fave player is Hussey, and I post thtis now, while he is still on 1, just to let everyone know what my predictions are....

Still reckon England have got a 100 too many...

Queenslander

Tropical North

Moves
23 Aug 09

Not a chance Robbie 😞

Just as I said, from Day 1, First Test

DS

Moves
23 Aug 09

Brilliant play by England - the Ashes are back where they belong.

Bad luck Scotland...err I mean Australia. 😛😛😛😵

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
23 Aug 09

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
Brilliant play by England - the Ashes are back where they belong.

Bad luck Scotland...err I mean Australia. 😛😛😛😵
Well done England!!!

(maybe Katich had some money on England,😛)

C
Not Aleister

Control room

Moves
23 Aug 09
1 edit

Originally posted by Crowley
Ponting should have declared after North had his century. He let emotion get in the way of a test win. Sure, letting Haddin make a century too was nice, but unnecessary in the match context.

It probably won't change the outcome of the series, but it might just have given the English belief, so the series might be closer than it should have been.
Gee whiz, Crowley. You sure called it!

😏

rc

Moves
23 Aug 09
1 edit

Originally posted by Elamef37
Not a chance Robbie 😞

Just as I said, from Day 1, First Test
its a travesty of justice my dear Queenslander, England were rubbish, they do not deserve the ashes, look at the stats, England scored 2 centuries, Australia 7, Australia took more wickets, England were rubbish, one lucky throw and one bad decision form Ponting early on in the series, i don't care if they have retained the ashes, they don't deserve it, I defy anyone to state differently!

I
Cause I'm the taxman

Moves
23 Aug 09

its a travesty of justice my dear Queenslander, England were rubbish, they do not deserve the ashes, look at the stats, England scored 2 centuries, Australia 7, Australia took more wickets, England were rubbish, one lucky throw and one bad decision form Ponting early on in the series, i don't care if they have retained the ashes, they don't deserve it, I defy anyone to state differently!
Only 1 statistic matters my friend, namely:

Matches won by England: 2
Matches won by Australia: 1

Which means: Australia loose!