1. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    23 Nov '23 14:44
    We have a few places now available for the 2024 season.

Some good new recruits already, and the previous deadwood has been cast asunder.

Play as many games as you want, and you will get good challenges set up against players of a rating similar to your own (ie, based on TER & one-Year). This will mean you won't need to play any games against either Metallica or Breaking Bad ;-)

We've crept up to 5th now, and with a couple more players we have a good chance of taking 3rd spot in 2024 (Al and Pete already feeling the pressure lol)

Please feel free to pm me or just request to join. Any rating is fine.

Alex

Clan 24298

This thread is now closed.
  2. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    24 Nov '23 16:41
  3. SubscriberWycombe Al
    greatest site
    or just a tribute
    Moves
    24 Nov '23 21:26
    @Anglian 3rd spot, aim higher, Metallica and Breaking Bad can be caught if you have the right team
  4. Bristol, UK
    Moves
    25 Nov '23 10:48
    @anglian said
    I don't think it works like that. 🙂
  5. SubscriberVESPIN
    RIP Mghrn55
    United States
    Moves
    26 Nov '23 06:221 edit
    @wycombe-al said
    @Anglian 3rd spot, aim higher, Metallica and Breaking Bad can be caught if you have the right team
    Al, it is a ton, A TON of work. At least it was for me the year my team won. I had to replace players, get others, be on at night and day and it was just a lot of work.

Ask the best clan to ever play, the leader of Metallica. And good leaders lean on at least one person as their go to for advice and help. Al is right, you have to have a good team but you don't have to match the top clan, but you can out work them. But Al is spot on as well. Al's team is always in running and at the top. My bet is if he had more time, he would win championships.

Metallica plays fair, and has a great team. They break no rules and if they did Russ would know. They are just simply the best in every area including Leader this year and all the other years. And they worked hard at it. Felt like a job to me.

Unlike another leader maybe "leaders" who cut corners and are okay with sandbagging.
  6. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    26 Nov '23 10:06
    @vespin said
    Al, it is a ton, A TON of work. At least it was for me the year my team won. I had to replace players, get others, be on at night and day and it was just a lot of work.

Ask the best clan to ever play, the leader of Metallica. And good leaders lean on at least one person as their go to for advice and help. Al is right, you have to have a good team but you don't have to mat ...[text shortened]... a job to me.

Unlike another leader maybe "leaders" who cut corners and are okay with sandbagging.
    I agree.
    Clan leadership is a lot of work if you do it properly.
    I ran the Yorkshire Laikers for a while.
    I had spreadsheets to plug potential opponents numbers into to calculate their REAL ability before I mounted or accepted any challenges.
    My successor 64 squares did a similar thing.
    We both did about 5 years
    We both found the task was becoming increasingly difficult mainly because the number of active clans was becoming scarcer among other things so we passed on the baton.
    Very Rusty says on another site, you can share the leadership.
    I think this is a good idea as it spreads the pressure of finding and vetting challenges.
    Maybe such a procedure on here could revive the clans feature.
    I'll put something in site ideas.
  7. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    26 Nov '23 19:31
    @anglian said
    We have a few places now available for the 2024 season.

Some good new recruits already, and the previous deadwood has been cast asunder.

Play as many games as you want, and you will get good challenges set up against players of a rating similar to your own (ie, based on TER & one-Year). This will mean you won't need to play any games against either Metallica or Breaking ...[text shortened]... uest to join. Any rating is fine.

Alex

Clan 24298

Alex,
    How very kind of you to ask Clan Leaders not to play either Metallica or Breaking Bad. That will eliminate any competition for you. How good are you going to feel about winning like that? How about your games I've been watching and you don't play fair at all, yet you expect everyone else to. I don't even have to mention who the players are as it is all there for everyone to see. I can see what you are doing and I can see the Clan Championship falling apart very quickly. Being number 1 all by yourself isn't going to be much of a victory at the end of the day, as you haven't played the two top Clans on the Site and are asking others not to do so, which I don't even know is permitted. I can see the Clan Challenges being reduced even more than they are now.
    Amalgamation of the smaller clans to make a clan of 20 would be a good solution. Having a co-clan leader would also take the work load off of the Clan Leader, without asking people not to play certain clans as you have done. I say shame on you Alex.
  8. Victor, New York
    Moves
    26 Nov '23 22:43
    @Very-Rusty I think you read this wrong. He didn’t say others shouldn’t play BB or M. Just that his team’s players wouldn’t have to. I assumed the meant he wouldn’t play BB or M.
  9. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    26 Nov '23 22:583 edits
    @lstcyr said
    @Very-Rusty I think you read this wrong. He didn’t say others shouldn’t play BB or M. Just that his team’s players wouldn’t have to. I assumed the meant he wouldn’t play BB or M.
    I get that he is telling other clans not to play Metallica or Breaking Bad from a few different people who will go unnamed as they are Clan Leaders also. So all that are in his clan don't want to play Metallica or Breaking Bad? I was however surprised to see Venda as a part of avoid Breaking Bad and Metallica, always seemed level headed to me.

-VR
  10. SubscriberVESPIN
    RIP Mghrn55
    United States
    Moves
    27 Nov '23 07:28
    @very-rusty said
    I get that he is telling other clans not to play Metallica or Breaking Bad from a few different people who will go unnamed as they are Clan Leaders also. So all that are in his clan don't want to play Metallica or Breaking Bad? I was however surprised to see Venda as a part of avoid Breaking Bad and Metallica, always seemed level headed to me.

-VR
    what the Anglian said was "other clans would NOT have to play Metallica and Breaking Bad." He was advocating for clans not play both clans.

Good post Rusty. 🙂
  11. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    27 Nov '23 09:58
    @very-rusty said

-VR
    I didn't look into the history of IVV before I joined the other day.
    I just noticed that they play quite a few 7:7 and longer challenges which I like playing so I responded to the request for new members.
    The Laikers preferred time scale is 3:7 so,as have requested NOT to be involved in 3:7 or shorter, I don't get many games!The ones that Rook has given me I am trying to play out asap.
    As you know my friend from previous discussions,I don't care about the net points clan list or where IVV feature on it for that matter.I just want to play longer time scale clan chess games
    If Alex reads my comments and wants to throw me out because of this that's his prerogative,but I joined his clan for the above reason.
    Oh. and I do drink a lot of wine!
  12. SubscriberVESPIN
    RIP Mghrn55
    United States
    Moves
    27 Nov '23 10:21
    @venda said
    I didn't look into the history of IVV before I joined the other day.
    I just noticed that they play quite a few 7:7 and longer challenges which I like playing so I responded to the request for new members.
    The Laikers preferred time scale is 3:7 so,as have requested NOT to be involved in 3:7 or shorter, I don't get many games!The ones that Rook has given me I am trying to pla ...[text shortened]... hat's his prerogative,but I joined his clan for the above reason.
    Oh. and I do drink a lot of wine!
    What ever anyone feels about him personally has no reflection on you. That is a great team. Your leader is the issue. And certainly not you. 🙂
  13. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    27 Nov '23 14:23
    @vespin said
    What ever anyone feels about him personally has no reflection on you. That is a great team. Your leader is the issue. And certainly not you. 🙂
    I concur, was just surprised to see Venda's name involved in a Clan who is advocating not playing certain clans. He always seemed like a stand up guy and we both agree on many of the issues on the Clan Challenges, among other things.

-VR
  14. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    27 Nov '23 15:00
    @very-rusty said
    I concur, was just surprised to see Venda's name involved in a Clan who is advocating not playing certain clans. He always seemed like a stand up guy and we both agree on many of the issues on the Clan Challenges, among other things.

-VR
    To close on this subject,you may say "if you want to play long time frame games just join tournaments."
    I do play in tournaments,but one tends to get the same players over and over.There's lots of players who play in clans who don't play tournaments so I saw IVV's request for members as a way to play these individuals.The politics of the net points list doesn't interest me.
  15. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    27 Nov '23 15:49
    @venda said
    To close on this subject,you may say "if you want to play long time frame games just join tournaments."
    I do play in tournaments,but one tends to get the same players over and over.There's lots of players who play in clans who don't play tournaments so I saw IVV's request for members as a way to play these individuals.The politics of the net points list doesn't interest me.
    So what you're saying to be sure we are on the same page, is you don't have a problem with your Clan Leader suggesting that other clans don't play Certain clans? This is going down a bad path in my humble opinion.

-VR

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree