Films that you really enjoyed.

Films that you really enjoyed.

Culture

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

lookin for a way out

Moves
28 Oct 08

Far From the Madding Crowd (Julie Christie, Terence Stamp & Alan Bates)
Toy Story
The Birds
Pride & Prejudice
Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?
Rocky Horror Picture Show
Mad Max
The Shining
Tess of the D'Urbervilles

dsR

Big D

Moves
31 Oct 08

Watched John Ford and John Wayne's "The Searchers," last night. The story was believable, the scenery was good, the action was good, the actors were well cast, and John Wayne said this was his favorite role. For those unfamiliar with the film, it's the story of a white girl who's family gets killed by Comanche Indians and is taken away to live with them, causing John Wayne's character to spend the next five years looking for her. This could be the greatest Western ever.

Moves
31 Oct 08

Could be, but it's not. Too much racial anti-American Indian sentiment for me. That may have been ok in the 50's but it doesn't fly today.

dsR

Big D

Moves
01 Nov 08

Originally posted by Badwater
Could be, but it's not. Too much racial anti-American Indian sentiment for me. That may have been ok in the 50's but it doesn't fly today.
Yeah, the whole time I was watching it, I thought that they would never make a movie like this today. A modern director would throw in some worse Indians to make Scar look more sympathetic or John Wayne would have to have a gay love interest or something. However, if you put the film in the context of John Wayne's character, then this is the story that get's told. If it were told from Scar's point of view, then you'd have another film.

There was another film from about the same time that had a similar effect on me: Run Silent, Run Deep. It's a submarine picture and the whole idea of manliness and duty is explored...undersea. Anyway, the behavior of the commanding officer was reckless and more than a little psychotic. When I see this stuff played out in the movies, I have to wonder: Did people really act like this? Hopefully not. Maybe it's just the screenwriter imagining how people act in times of stress.

b
Enigma

Seattle

Moves
01 Nov 08

Originally posted by yo its me
That you could watch again and again?

For me, Good Will Hunting and Spirited Away.
My choices...A Beautiful Mind, Goodwill Hunting, The Thomas Crown Affair, and The Italian Job.
😏

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
06 Nov 08

Originally posted by yo its me
That you could watch again and again?

For me, Good Will Hunting and Spirited Away.
At first sight
Dead Poet Society
Lord of the Rings (triolgy)

Kelly

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
11 Dec 08
1 edit

Finally saw The Fall by Tarsem. Beautiful film, shot over more than 20 countries. If you see this film and don't feel an urge to visit these wondrous locations, then there must be something wrong with you. Apparently, there's no CGI involved.

Trailer and stills here:
http://www.thefallthemovie.com/

It wasn't what I expected, but I still loved it. The plot of the story being told within the story isn't important at all, but it still works great as an extremely visual portray of a child's imagination. Top for me in 2008.

To quote film critic Roger Ebert on this film: "[...]you might want to see for no other reason than because it exists. There will never be another like it."

S

Utrecht

Moves
11 Dec 08

Heavy - featuring Debbie Harry! Enjoyed the depressive tone of the story.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
12 Dec 08

Danny Deckchair, with Rhys Ifans.

Moves
12 Dec 08

I finally - FINALLY - got around to seeing Jungle Fever. Unfortunately, racism is still alive and well in the USA, and it knows no color. All ethnic or cultural heritages exhibit far too much racism, deep down within their core. I didn't care so much for the plot but fully appreciated it as a device to discuss the issue of racism and for that it can be forgiven.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
15 Dec 08

Don't Come Knocking (Sam Shepard, Wim Wenders).

Thoroughly enjoyed it. Don't know if it was any good,

s

Moves
16 Dec 08

Totally taken aback by the absolute quality of 'In Bruges' starring Colin Farrel. brilliant film!

G
Whale watching

33°36'S 26°53'E

Moves
23 Dec 08

The best movies I saw this year were:

Let the Right One In (Låt den rätte komma in)
The Twilight Samurai (Tasogare Seibei)

Outkast

With White Women

Moves
23 Dec 08

Das Boot. (The Boat). Takes a sympathetic and heroic view of a crew in a German U-boat in WW2. Incredible footage. You will get claustrophobic I can assure you.

Moves
23 Dec 08

Originally posted by squills
Totally taken aback by the absolute quality of 'In Bruges' starring Colin Farrel. brilliant film!
Ditto. My favorite movie of the past year.