Five most influential rock musicians?

Five most influential rock musicians?

Culture

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rc

Moves
26 May 09
1 edit

Originally posted by FMF
Your attempt to belittle my reaction - which is "only [my]perspective", and ironic, after all - is noted. Touchy? "Woosies"? No. It was rubbish writing. Amon Düül II are fantastic. Got all their stuff. As are the Dead and the Airplane. But this kind of sports fan type rock writing you quoted - one group of musicians makes another group of artists seem like "coff g dick waving and clumsy hyperbole. Save it for pro sports and embedded war journalism.
Lol, i was not trying to belittle you or your post, nor was it intended to be provocative, well just a little 😉 it just seemed a little close to the bone, that is all. But you are correct, i do agree with you, but are you saying that we should give credence to everything that we hear, for if that was the case, i myself would take a good dose of the ol Lysergic Acid Diethylamide, buy a tuba and enthrall you with my artistry. 🙂

D
incipit parodia

Moves
26 May 09

Originally posted by darvlay
Non-Sequitir:

"IDM": Truly one of the worst descriptors in music. Even worse than "Indie". BARF!
Indeedly. Up there with 'post-rock' as a more meaningless label even than usual...

d

Moves
26 May 09

Originally posted by DrKF
Indeedly. Up there with 'post-rock' as a more meaningless label even than usual...
I love a lot of those '90s "Post-Rock" and I still don't really understand what it means. Bands like Slint, US Maple, Polvo, etc. should more aptly be called Weirdo-Rock or Bizarro-Rock.

g

Pepperland

Moves
26 May 09

Why are people still arguing about this?

the beatles, and the who rule, period.

F

Moves
26 May 09

Originally posted by DrKF
That's interesting. I personally have always found it a useful label. The term "post rock" has consistently enabled me to stumble across music that I was very pleased about stumbling across.

d

Moves
26 May 09

Originally posted by generalissimo
Why are people still arguing about this?

the beatles, and the who rule, period.
The Beatles are cool.

The Who totally suck.

d

Moves
26 May 09

Originally posted by FMF
That's interesting. I personally have always found it a useful label. The term "post rock" has consistently enabled me to stumble across music that I was very pleased about stumbling across.
Like who? I used to be a Post-Rock fiend back in the day...

F

Moves
26 May 09

Like who? I used to be a Post-Rock fiend back in the day...
I mean even now, I still find it useful... Monument To Masses, Codes In The Clouds, Signal Hill, We Are Sheep Among Wolves, Florist, The Poison Arrows, Ptarmigan, Riceboy Sleeps, Pawa Up First, North America, The Flowers Of Hell, and on and on.

Back in the day? Mogwai, Tortoise, Explosions In The Sky, Sigur Ros, A Silver Mt. Zion, Bark Psychosis, Do Make Say Think, etc. I saw Tortoise play in London in about 2000. Very good stuff. Plaid were the support.

d

Moves
26 May 09

Originally posted by FMF
I mean even now, I still find it useful... Monument To Masses, Codes In The Clouds, Signal Hill, We Are Sheep Among Wolves, Florist, The Poison Arrows, Ptarmigan, Riceboy Sleeps, Pawa Up First, North America, The Flowers Of Hell, and on and on.

Back in the day? Mogwai, Tortoise, Explosions In The Sky, Sigur Ros, A Silver Mt. Zion, Bark Psychosis, Do Make Say ...[text shortened]... hink, etc. I saw Tortoise play in London in about 2000. Very good stuff. Plaid were the support.
Can't say I've heard much about those newer bands. Any recommendations?

I've seen every band you listed in the "back in the day" section except for Bark Psychosis. Of those, Tortoise was the most fun to watch as a musician and Sigur Ros was easily the most boring performance of those bands (only the second show I nodded off at - first was Brian Jonestown Massacre). Best Post-rock live shows I've seen are Godspeed!, Don Cab and Hella. None of which sound like each other yet here we are grouping them together. Oh well.

z

Moves
26 May 09

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
a review i read

This is Amon Duul II's first album, and it's everything that the American psych/freakout bands promised but could not deliver. These guys are so lysergic that [b]they make the Grateful Dead and the Jefferson Airplane, their american contemporaries at the time (1969) sound like coffee drinking office secretaries by comparison.
F ...[text shortened]... , not for the faint of heart, but spiral into the Duulian atmosphere and you may never return[/b]
Amon Duul - certainly entertaining and imaginative. But, they could never match something like Wooden Ships. Jorma's guitar solo on that track is simply outstanding and takes one to pretty 'high' places.

F

Moves
27 May 09

Can't say I've heard much about those newer bands. Any recommendations?

[...] Tortoise was the most fun to watch as a musician and Sigur Ros was easily the most boring performance of those bands
From Monument To Masses. Especially 'The Impossible Leap in 100 Simple Steps [2003]'.

'Schools Of Thought Contend (2005)' is an interesting remix package.

Their latest 'On Little Known Frequencies [2009]' seems good too but I'm still getting into it here.

Tortoise were brilliant. It felt like being at a hardcore dub reggae gig. The musicians rotated on the instruments for each song.

I thought the documentary film that Sigur Ros made about returning to Iceland in 2006 after touring the world was excellent. Mesmerized my kids too.

F

Moves
27 May 09

Originally posted by znsho
Wooden Ships. Jorma's guitar solo on that track is simply outstanding and takes one to pretty 'high' places.
Jorma is one of the greatest, and yet so often overlooked, guitarists of rock.

rc

Moves
27 May 09

Originally posted by FMF
Jorma is one of the greatest, and yet so often overlooked, guitarists of rock.
So am I 🙂

D
incipit parodia

Moves
27 May 09

Originally posted by FMF
From Monument To Masses. Especially 'The Impossible Leap in 100 Simple Steps [2003]'.

'Schools Of Thought Contend (2005)' is an interesting remix package.

Their latest 'On Little Known Frequencies [2009]' seems good too but I'm still getting into it here.

Tortoise were brilliant. It felt like being at a hardcore dub reggae gig. The musicians rotated on ...[text shortened]... turning to Iceland in 2006 after touring the world was excellent. Mesmerized my kids too.
Tortoise are still going. I saw them on tour a couple of years ago, and that was one of my favourite gigs ever (along with the aforementioned Mogwai, whom everyone should see at least one). The have a new album out in a couple of weeks - I have an advance copy, and it's OK. I think they kind of lost it with their last one, 'It's All Around You', (which was very samey, and all sounded suspiciously like elevator music). This new one is also rather samey, but much heavier. Sounds rather like they have been listening to the Battles LP, in fact. (Sad to say, though, it's not as good as 'Mirrored'😉. They'll always have a special place in my heart - I'd make Djed one of my desert island tracks (and not just because of the length). If you used to listen to them, you might want to look out the b-sides and rarities compilation 'A Lazarus Taxon', released last year.

The Sigur Ros documentary was excellent - and came in a lovely little box-set with a photobook, etc. I listened to some Riceboy Sleeps stuff - will be looking forward to the album when it comes out. (But not as much as the promised new Mum album - they are Icelandic, too, but considerably more strange than Sigur Ros...)

Doug Stanhope

That's Why I Drink

Moves
27 May 09

The Beatles suck big time.