Five most influential rock musicians?

Five most influential rock musicians?

Culture

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
24 May 09

Originally posted by KazetNagorra
Jefferson Airplane were hugely influential in the whole psychedelic scene and everything that it spawned; from heavy metal
Never heard anyone claim Jefferson Airplane spawned heavy metal, not when there's Jimi Hendrix and The Who on the musicology chart, with conspicuously more legitimate claims.

I cannot think of a single track of the Airplane which might be described as 'heavy metal'.

As for your citing krautrock and modern electronic music in regard to Jefferson Airplane's influence, I am curious. Can't say I know what you mean. But I am open to the idea if you wish to elucidate.

z

Moves
24 May 09

Originally posted by FMF
Never heard anyone claim Jefferson Airplane spawned heavy metal, not when there's Jimi Hendrix and The Who on the musicology chart, with conspicuously more legitimate claims.

I cannot think of a single track of the Airplane which might be described as 'heavy metal'.

As for your citing krautrock and modern electronic music in regard to Jefferson Airplane's ...[text shortened]... urious. Can't say I know what you mean. But I am open to the idea if you wish to elucidate.
JA inspired Donovan - Fat Angel.

And, there was In Tua Nua.

K

Germany

Moves
24 May 09

Originally posted by FMF

As for your citing krautrock and modern electronic music in regard to Jefferson Airplane's ...[text shortened]... urious. Can't say I know what you mean. But I am open to the idea if you wish to elucidate.
Well, weren't Jefferson Airplane an influence to Blue Cheer and Amon Düül II? I would say they had at least some influence on them.

As for electronic music; the IDM scene has been significantly influenced by 60s/70s psychedelic music.

z

Moves
24 May 09

Well, weren't Jefferson Airplane an influence to Blue Cheer and Amon Düül II? I would say they had at least some influence on them.

As for electronic music; the IDM scene has been significantly influenced by 60s/70s psychedelic music.
You have got me intrigued. In what way did JA influence Amon Duul II?

Hm! Spare Chaynge? Yes, maybe you are right!

K

Germany

Moves
24 May 09

Originally posted by znsho
You have got me intrigued. In what way did JA influence Amon Duul II?

Hm! Spare Chaynge? Yes, maybe you are right!
In what way haven't they? Phallus Dei clearly isn't the first psychedelic album ever made.

z

Moves
24 May 09

In what way haven't they? Phallus Dei clearly isn't the first psychedelic album ever made.
I agree with you. After Bathing at Baxters is a very influential LP.

Doug Stanhope

That's Why I Drink

Moves
25 May 09

Yes, that is true, but when pondering which were the most influential rock musicians one should only consider actual rock musicians, otherwise it would be a rather pointless exercise.
It also depends on perceptions... for example, would you not call "Rocket 88" a rock song?

rc

Moves
25 May 09

a review i read

This is Amon Duul II's first album, and it's everything that the American psych/freakout bands promised but could not deliver. These guys are so lysergic that they make the Grateful Dead and the Jefferson Airplane, their american contemporaries at the time (1969) sound like coffee drinking office secretaries by comparison. Furiously surging, ebbing and flowing, the music combines elements of garage rock, avant-garde, psychedelia, and just plain all-out weirdness. The end effect is like being submerged in the ocean of an alien planet. All the lyrics are in German but it doesn't matter; what matters is that you will be swept away. This band should be ranked far above most of their American psych contemporaries. Truly psychedelic music, not for the faint of heart, but spiral into the Duulian atmosphere and you may never return

d

Moves
25 May 09

the IDM scene has been significantly influenced by 60s/70s psychedelic music.
Non-Sequitir:

"IDM": Truly one of the worst descriptors in music. Even worse than "Indie". BARF!

F

Moves
25 May 09

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
This is Amon Duul II's first album, and it's everything that the American psych/freakout bands promised but could not deliver. These guys are so lysergic that [b]they make the Grateful Dead and the Jefferson Airplane, their american contemporaries at the time (1969) sound like coffee drinking office secretaries by comparison.[/b]
Yeah. Just what music journalism needs. Writers with brain transplants from sports fans. Lysergicity is in the blood stream of the beholder.

d

Moves
25 May 09

Originally posted by FMF
Yeah. Just what music journalism needs. Writers with brain transplants from sports fans.
?

K

Germany

Moves
25 May 09
1 edit

a review i read

This is Amon Duul II's first album, and it's everything that the American psych/freakout bands promised but could not deliver. These guys are so lysergic that [b]they make the Grateful Dead and the Jefferson Airplane, their american contemporaries at the time (1969) sound like coffee drinking office secretaries by comparison.
F , not for the faint of heart, but spiral into the Duulian atmosphere and you may never return[/b]
Oh I agree, I prefer Amon Düül II over Jefferson Airplane (and certainly the Dead!) any day. Phallus Dei is a freaky, but very intense album that everyone should have a listen to.

And the lyrics sound more like a bunch of shaman smoking too much funny stuff than German anyway...

K

Germany

Moves
25 May 09

Originally posted by darvlay
Non-Sequitir:

"IDM": Truly one of the worst descriptors in music. Even worse than "Indie". BARF!
Yes, it's a dumb name. But the type of music is there and you know what I'm talking about.

rc

Moves
25 May 09

Originally posted by FMF
Yeah. Just what music journalism needs. Writers with brain transplants from sports fans. Lysergicity is in the blood stream of the beholder.
oh touchy touchy touchy FMF, did he state that your beloved Grateful dead were woosies, its only his perspective, nothing more, perhaps they needed more lysergicity to transcend themselves, perhaps there were still faint traces of egocentricity lurking in the recesses of their minds, shackling them them to the earth, whence others were able to break the gravitational field and move upwards and outwards, who can tell. Do you like vanilla fudge, i thought they were awesome. 🙂

F

Moves
26 May 09
2 edits

oh touchy touchy touchy FMF, did he state that your beloved Grateful dead were woosies, its only his perspective, nothing more
Your attempt to belittle my reaction - which is "only [my]perspective", and ironic, after all - is noted. Touchy? "Woosies"? No. It was rubbish writing. Amon Düül II are fantastic. Got all their stuff. As are the Dead and the Airplane. But this kind of sports fan type rock writing you quoted - one group of musicians makes another group of artists seem like "coffee drinking office secretaries"?? - is why I have for years read as little of the 'music press' as I can. Music is all about winners and losers , is it? Gotta kick other music's arse, has it? A mix of drug referencing dick waving and clumsy hyperbole. Save it for pro sports and embedded war journalism.