Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Subscriberkmax87
    Land of Free
    Health and Education
    Moves
    10 Feb '17 07:11
    Given Trump's habit of casting shade on anyone opposing him and that he constantly seems to be chipping away at the authority and independence of the Judiciary, what Rubicon does he have to cross for you guys to really get upset about his Presidency?
  2. Standard membershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    10 Feb '17 07:13
    Originally posted by kmax87
    Given Trump's habit of casting shade on anyone opposing him and that he constantly seems to be chipping away at the authority and independence of the Judiciary, what Rubicon does he have to cross for you guys to really get upset about his Presidency?
    Seemingly he breakfasts on aborted fetusses.

And even that doesn't stop them wanting to rim him like a large golden God.
  3. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    10 Feb '17 11:101 edit
    Well he's still not Hillary Clinton so .... hmmmm ....

anything short of thermonuclear war and I think we're still on the upside.
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10 Feb '17 13:16
    Funny, FDR did the most damage with his court packing scheme, yet, he is celebrated by people like you as being a great Progressive. Trump has never come close to this.

FDR also locked away Japanese Americans just cuz they have slanty eyes, a clear bigot and racist, yet Trump has not ventured anywhere close to this violation of the Constitution.

All in all, compared to FDR, Trump is a rock star! 😵
  5. Subscriberkmax87
    Land of Free
    Health and Education
    Moves
    11 Feb '17 21:191 edit
    Originally posted by whodey
    FDR also locked away Japanese Americans just cuz they have slanty eyes, a clear bigot and racist, yet Trump has not ventured anywhere close to this violation of the Constitution.

Maybe it was the Great Depression which made the GFC look like a walk in the park. And FDR also had WW2 to contend with. What's Trump's excuse?
  6. Subscriberkmax87
    Land of Free
    Health and Education
    Moves
    11 Feb '17 21:24
    Originally posted by Sleepyguy
    Well he's still not Hillary Clinton so .... hmmmm ....

anything short of thermonuclear war and I think we're still on the upside.
    So Hilary would of picked a group of cabinet incompetents like Trump? Or tried to diminish the standing of Judges. Or turn the Presidency into a reality show?

Name one President that generated protest not only in cities around America but also all around the world at their inauguration? You can't dismiss it all as a communist plot.
  7. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    11 Feb '17 21:37
    What do you mean, power of the judiciary? The Judiciary should not be the top power in the land. Right now it is, so I'd say it's power needs to be chipped away.

The problem is that the power that needs to be increased is Congress.

But hey, the way it is now, Congress is there to approve of the political hacks put into power in the Judiciary and empower the American Kingship.

We had that under Obama, we had that under the Bushes and Clinton so I fail to see why you are concerned now.
  8. Subscriberkmax87
    Land of Free
    Health and Education
    Moves
    11 Feb '17 21:59
    Originally posted by Eladar
    ...But hey, the way it is now, Congress is there to approve of the political hacks put into power in the Judiciary and empower the American Kingship.

We had that under Obama, we had that under the Bushes and Clinton so I fail to see why you are concerned now.
    So Trump is on the same general path as Clinton, Bush and Obama?
  9. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    11 Feb '17 22:01
    So Trump is on the same general path as Clinton, Bush and Obama?
    Only after he puts his judges into place.
  10. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Non sum qualis eram
    At the edge
    Moves
    11 Feb '17 22:05
    Originally posted by Eladar
    Only after he puts his judges into place.
    Or they place him in his.
  11. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    11 Feb '17 22:091 edit
    Originally posted by HandyAndy
    If they do, then they are not his judges.

As I said, the problem is the imbalance. In the US it is Judiciary vs Presidency because Congress has given its power to the other two branches.

Congress needs to be strengthened and Judiciary and Presidency power reduced. But if you want to control the government, you need to funnel the power into fewer hands.
  12. Subscriberkmax87
    Land of Free
    Health and Education
    Moves
    11 Feb '17 22:20
    Originally posted by HandyAndy
    This was the calming chorus on this forum since Trump announced his run for office. Don't worry they said. You're nervous cos you're Australian they said. We're American they said. The silent majority will consign him to the dustbin of history they said.

All I can see that in 8 years time, the NYTimes best seller list will likely include an Anne Coulter biography titled Mein Trumpf.
  13. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    11 Feb '17 23:43
    The silent majority got Trump elected.
  14. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    11 Feb '17 23:44
    So Hilary would of picked a group of cabinet incompetents like Trump? Or tried to diminish the standing of Judges. Or turn the Presidency into a reality show?

Name one President that generated protest not only in cities around America but also all around the world at their inauguration? You can't dismiss it all as a communist plot.
    I don't agree with the premise that Trump has appointed a "group of cabinet incompetents." Sessions was controversial because of his checkered history on civil right, but incompetent? I don't think anyone would argue that. Pompeo? Kelly? Chao? Mattis? Haley? Who is incompetent?

Perry for DoE is certainly a strange pick and I get why people don't think Devos has the credentials to run Education (though, I like her). Rex Tillerson may not have government experience and may be too chummy with Putin, but he has a lot of experience in diplomacy, of sorts. I also thought he came off as thoughtful and professional in the confirmation hearings.

His juvenile temper tantrums against the judiciary notwithstanding, I see nothing thus far to indicate that he intends to try to abrogate their role as a check on executive power.
  15. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    11 Feb '17 23:47
    Originally posted by whodey
    Funny, FDR did the most damage with his court packing scheme, yet, he is celebrated by people like you as being a great Progressive. Trump has never come close to this.

FDR didn't carry out his court packing scheme.

As for the Japanese internment, indefensible, but at least he had the excuse that he was fighting a world war... one he had a real chance to lose.

I wouldn't quite compare Trump to FDR quite yet.