Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    22 Jul '15 23:072 edits
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3169457/More-pictures-Edward-VIII-giving-Nazi-salute-1937-visit-Germany-emerge-auction.html

Accusations have arisen that the Royal Family has been suppressing knowledge of their ties to the Nazi party. The pictures in the link show Edward VIII giving a 'Nazi salute' while surrounded by uniformed Nazis, as well as the Duke of Windsor being chummy with Nazis (one picture shows the Duke in a car with Nazis). The next link gets even more interesting:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/royals/6548665/Their-Royal-Heilnesses.html

This link shows a black-and-white home video of the Queen Elizabeth being taught the Nazi salute, along with other pics of the Queen doing the salute (when she was about seven years old). Both links show the video, but the second one requires less scrolling to see it.

Interesting stuff.
  2. Zugzwang
    Moves
    22 Jul '15 23:35
    Originally posted by vivify
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3169457/More-pictures-Edward-VIII-giving-Nazi-salute-1937-visit-Germany-emerge-auction.html

Accusations have arisen that the Royal Family has been suppressing knowledge of their ties to the Nazi party. The pictures in the link show Edward VIII giving a 'Nazi salute' while surrounded by uniformed Nazis, as well as th ...[text shortened]... nks show the video, but the second one requires less scrolling to see it.

Interesting stuff.
    It's old news that the Duke of Windsor (formerly King Edward VIII) had sympathies for the Nazis.
    It was not extremely unusual for some members of the British Establishment to have such sympathies.
    Even Winston Churchill sometimes spoke in public with some respect toward Hitler.

"I have always said that if Great Britain were defeated in war, I hoped we should find a Hitler
    to lead us back to our rightful place among nations. I am sorry, however, that he has not
    been mellowed by the great success that has attended him."
    --Winston Churchill (6 November 1938, speaking in the House of Commons)
  3. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    23 Jul '15 00:22
    "I have always said that if Great Britain were defeated in war, I hoped we should find a Hitler to lead us back to our rightful place among nations."

One of the most ironic statements in history.
  4. SubscriberAThousandYoung
    iEn guardia, Ingles!
    tinyurl.com/y43jqfyd
    Moves
    23 Jul '15 02:43
    The Anglo-Saxons inspired the Nordic supremacists of the time enormously.
  5. wherever I am needed
    Moves
    23 Jul '15 08:331 edit

Accusations have arisen that the Royal Family has been suppressing knowledge of their ties to the Nazi party. The pictures in the link show Edward VIII giving a 'Nazi salute' while surrounded by uniformed Nazis, as well as th ...[text shortened]... nks show the video, but the second one requires less scrolling to see it.

Interesting stuff.
    As Duchess says, Edward VIII's sympathy with the Nazi cause is well known.

A picture of the young Princess Elizabeth 'doing' a Nazi salute is being treated over here with the derision it deserves. As a youngster (pre 10) in the 1960s I am sure that I (to my shame) will have 'made' the Nazi salute many times in games with my friends.

As we say, 'move on, nothing to see here'

Queen/Princess Elizabeth's support of the war effort during WW2 is well documented, and it is for that which she is respected today.
  6. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    To the Left
    Moves
    23 Jul '15 08:442 edits
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    The Anglo-Saxons inspired the Nordic supremacists of the time enormously.
    Yes and that includes not only the British Empire (which it certainly does) but also segregationist and eugenicist USA with powerful, influential anti semites like Henry Ford, author of the ever popular rant "The International Jew". (Theodore Roosevelt would have been right at home in the Nazi party, albeit it came a bit after his time, but he was an influence.) The plucky little Belgians with their filthy practices in the Congo, the austere French with their African empire, were no less inspiring in their ways to the German racists and of course the Zionist movement was closely associated with them in the development of their unpleasant and scientifically weak theories of race. Germany's industrial recovery in the Thirties was greatly facilitated by US corporate investments and Hitler's policy of expanding to the east at the expense of the inferior Slavic peoples was explicitly modelled on the US expansion to its west at the expense of the native Americans.
  7. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    23 Jul '15 10:032 edits
    Originally posted by st dominics preview

A picture of the young Princess Elizabeth 'doing' a Nazi salute is being treated over here with the derision it deserves. As a youngster (pre 10) in the 1960s I am sure that I (to my shame) will have 'made' the Nazi salute many times in games with my friends.
    Why would this deserve derision? Is anyone blaming the Queen for actions she made as a child, or is it simply being reported? If this was any other national figurehead, would such pictures receive the same criticism? What if Vladimir Putin, Barack Obama or David Cameron had similarly compromising pics published of them in their youth? The Royal Family seems to be the only national figureheads in the world that it's considered wrong to show in a less than positive light (especially after Diana's passing).

Again, if someone is using these pictures or the video to bash the Queen, that would be wrong. However, if these pics are simply being reported, I don't see why "derision" is warranted.
  8. wherever I am needed
    Moves
    23 Jul '15 11:072 edits
    Why would this deserve derision? Is anyone blaming the Queen for actions she made as a child, or is it simply being reported? If this was any other national figurehead, would such pictures receive the same criticism? What if Vladimir Putin, Barack Obama or David Cameron had similarly compromising pics published of them in their youth? The Royal Family se ...[text shortened]... ong. However, if these pics are simply being reported, I don't see why "derision" is warranted.
    the 'derision' (ok, may be slightly wrong word) is because some 'lower end newspapers' decided to put the picture on its front page and sensationalise a none story.

My contact with the reporting of the 'salute' comes from a half hour radio interview in which a cross section of reporters/media types all poured scorn on the publishing of the pictures.

It has totally 'gone away' over here now.

by the way, for what it's worth, I am certainly not an ardent royalist. I do , however, feel that no 'wrong doing' went on here. If they are at fault, i will say so.
  9. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    A Spirited Misfit
    in London
    Moves
    23 Jul '15 11:161 edit
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    It's old news that the Duke of Windsor (formerly King Edward VIII) had sympathies for the Nazis.
    It was not extremely unusual for some members of the British Establishment to have such sympathies.
    Even Winston Churchill sometimes spoke in public with some respect toward Hitler.

"I have always said that if Great Britain were defeated in war, I hoped w ...[text shortened]... hat has attended him."
    --Winston Churchill (6 November 1938, speaking in the House of Commons)
    Worth noting that these pictures and quotes were mostly before 1939, when the true horror of the Nazis became apparent.
  10. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    23 Jul '15 11:32
    Originally posted by st dominics preview
    the 'derision' (ok, may be slightly wrong word) is because some 'lower end newspapers' decided to put the picture on its front page and sensationalise a none story.

My contact with the reporting of the 'salute' comes from a half hour radio interview in which a cross section of reporters/media types all poured scorn on the publishing of the pic ...[text shortened]... t. I do , however, feel that no 'wrong doing' went on here. If they are at fault, i will say so.
    That makes perfect sense.
  11. Cape Town
    Moves
    23 Jul '15 11:531 edit
    .....or is it simply being reported?
    Clearly it is not 'simply being reported'. If anything, one could argue that reporting itself is rarely ever 'simple' but necessarily caries with it an intended message.
    In this case:
    a) the pictures were probably obtained illegally.
    b) the pictures were published without permission of and against the wishes of the subject.
    c) the pictures were published because an implied message was clearly intended to be noticed (or they would be just boring pictures and not newsworthy).

The Royals being public figures must be willing to submit to some scrutiny and I don't know where they stand legally on the matter. But certainly the publishing of the pictures seems in bad taste.
  12. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    23 Jul '15 12:053 edits
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Clearly it is not 'simply being reported'. If anything, one could argue that reporting itself is rarely ever 'simple' but necessarily caries with it an intended message.
    In this case:
    a) the pictures were probably obtained illegally.
    b) the pictures were published without permission of and against the wishes of the subject.
    c) the pictures were publis ...[text shortened]... ey stand legally on the matter. But certainly the publishing of the pictures seems in bad taste.
    Regarding point C, it's already well known that Edward III had ties to the Nazi party. So wouldn't any attempt to imply something with these photos be washed away by the fact that this is pubic knowledge? I doubt anyone would be trying to imply anything, given this fact.

However, if it turns out that the photos and video were obtained illegally (which is probably the case) then I have to agree that publishing them were in bad taste.
  13. Joined
    15 Oct '10
    Moves
    23 Jul '15 12:12
    Hitler's policy of expanding to the east at the expense of the inferior Slavic peoples was explicitly modelled on the US expansion to its west at the expense of the native Americans.[/b]
    I am curious.
    Where is the 'explicitly modeled' reference from.
    I'm reasonably well read in this history (just finished Longerich's bio based on Goebbels' diaries) and this is a new idea to me.
    '
  14. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    23 Jul '15 14:26

Interesting stuff.
    roosevelt being chummy with stalin.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yalta_Conference

obama being chummy with saudi arabia:
    http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/war_stories/2015/01/barack_obama_s_visit_to_saudi_arabia_the_president_understands_how_important.html

13 US presidents being chummy with saudi arabia:
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2015/01/27/13-times-u-s-presidents-and-saudi-kings-have-met/

i could go on.

heads of state cannot afford to not be "chummy" with monsters. it's called diplomacy.

can you say Edward behaved less than stellar during wwII when fighting said nazis? can you say Edward displayed nazi behavior (real nazi behavior, not playing with his 7 year old daughter)?
    can you say Elisabeth nazied at any point?

this is just tabloidism.
  15. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    23 Jul '15 14:303 edits
    Zahlanzi, I'm simply posting pics. I have no political commentary to make.