1. Standard memberTom Wolsey
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Texas
    Moves
    08 Jun '18 22:112 edits
    Originally posted by @deepthought
    There's too much stuff here to reply to in one post, at least in any coherent fashion, so I'll pick two.

I don't see how you can claim that a military intervention started by Obama can not be "in any way due to any effort on his part", yet credit it to Trump solely because it was completed "on his watch".

Additional military spending requires more ...[text shortened]... ring to, he seemed to have some sort of paradigm shift in mind. I'm curious to hear what it is.
    I attributed the final defeat to Trump and not Obama. Not to say Obama didn't soften them up a little but even that's questionable. As far as I'm concerned (and hey, I could be wrong) the half-ass effort Obama put forth would still be half-ass and ISIS would still exist if he was still president.

No, tax cuts don't "imply less revenue." The math is fairly simple. Cut taxes, allow people more spending money, which increases revenue for businesses, who then expand, creating more jobs which means more taxpayers. If that sounds like a stretch I'm sorry but it is tried and true. It has worked in the past and it's working now.

edit: again, the government is raking in more revenue now than it did under Obama. In fact, revenues are at record highs.
  2. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    08 Jun '18 22:28
    Originally posted by @tom-wolsey
    More than a thousand regulations have been lifted, but you asked for 1 or 2 examples that contributed to our improved economy. Here are a few. A cursory google search will land you hundreds more, but it's not really about getting at the truth, is it. You just want me to have to spend my time doing your research for you. I presume you will put a negat ...[text shortened]... world's largest exporter

Regulations restricting the issue of permits for new infrastructure
    If you are praising the removal of regulations then you really ought to be able to say what the regulations are and why their removal is a good thing. It is not reasonable to tell Kazet to do his own research.

You've made a list, so let's pick one out. What exactly did the regulations pertaining to offshore drilling prevent? At the start of the Obama Presidency BP had something of a mishap with one of their wells which did rather a lot of damage. Were these regulations brought in to prevent a recurrence? If so simply removing them seems somewhat reckless.

To forestall "do your own research", no, you are claiming this is a good idea, so you ought to know what the regulations that have been removed prevented. Otherwise you could find yourself defending a policy you don't agree with, unless you're daft enough to think that all regulation is automatically a bad thing.
  3. Standard memberTom Wolsey
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Texas
    Moves
    08 Jun '18 23:451 edit
    If you are praising the removal of regulations then you really ought to be able to say what the regulations are and why their removal is a good thing.....unless you're daft enough to think that all regulation is automatically a bad thing.
    The counter simply said to list a couple of regulations that contributed to the improvement of the economy. It didn't say, "only list the regulations lifted, that pass my personal litmus test of being a "good thing."
  4. S. Korea
    Moves
    08 Jun '18 23:53
    There's too much stuff here to reply to in one post, at least in any coherent fashion, so I'll pick two.

I don't see how you can claim that a military intervention started by Obama can not be "in any way due to any effort on his part", yet credit it to Trump solely because it was completed "on his watch".

Additional military spending requires more ...[text shortened]... ring to, he seemed to have some sort of paradigm shift in mind. I'm curious to hear what it is.
    The policy of enacting tariffs on foreign goods and also levying fines on foreign businesses -- such as the billion dollar fine on ZTE -- are means of increasing the governments income directly without raising taxes on Americans.

Simply improving the functionality of the system that we already have (of fines) and making our trade policy more logical will help fund a lot of these things.

Moreover, the President has even come up with ways to save millions & millions on things like free lunch programs in schools.
  5. Standard memberTom Wolsey
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Texas
    Moves
    08 Jun '18 23:553 edits
    It is not reasonable to tell Kazet to do his own research.
    Ok. Point taken. Please chalk it up to me being kind of new here. Since entering this forum a couple weeks ago, about 99% of what I've witnessed has been nothing but a drunken brawl with ad homs flying and absolutely zero in the matter of formal debate. At first I was a little surprised, given the name of the forum. But--as I am sure you can tell--I eventually figured it out and joined in the mudslinging. I find it kind of amusing.

But again, you are absolutely correct and if I make a claim--especially if I create a thread--I should be prepared to lay out my case in full-throated fashion... with footnotes and links. I'll remember. However, this is not exactly how most of the posters operate here. I'm certainly willing to help clean up the mess and back up my claims. But--not unlike Trump's thinking when he dumped the Paris Accords--what good will it do if most others continue spewing heaps of pollution into the atmosphere?
  6. S. Korea
    Moves
    08 Jun '18 23:58
    Tom, I am really glad that you are posting because I ahve found that there is zero balance on the Forum.

There needs to be more conservative voices just for the Forum to survive in some positive way and for there to be some semblance of balance.

I think even many liberal posters agree.

What is a forum if there is not some actual, real discussion taking place?

You're helping to make that happen.
  7. S. Korea
    Moves
    08 Jun '18 23:58
    Of course, it is true that there can be plenty of discussion in a partisan forum, but it is also important that it is not an echo chamber and that the people there represent a variety of views from that position.

But that doesn't describe here.
  8. Germany
    Moves
    09 Jun '18 08:12
    More than a thousand regulations have been lifted, but you asked for 1 or 2 examples that contributed to our improved economy. Here are a few. A cursory google search will land you hundreds more, but it's not really about getting at the truth, is it. You just want me to have to spend my time doing your research for you. I presume you will put a negat ...[text shortened]... world's largest exporter

Regulations restricting the issue of permits for new infrastructure
    The Keystone XL pipeline hasn't yet been constructed. How can its preliminary approval already lead to economic growth?
  9. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    09 Jun '18 15:01
    Ok. Point taken. Please chalk it up to me being kind of new here. Since entering this forum a couple weeks ago, about 99% of what I've witnessed has been nothing but a drunken brawl with ad homs flying and absolutely zero in the matter of formal debate. At first I was a little surprised, given the name of the forum. But--as I am sure you can tell--I ...[text shortened]... ds--what good will it do if most others continue spewing heaps of pollution into the atmosphere?
    Well, it's a recreational debating forum. The quality of debate varies depending on who is active and if anyone actually knows what they're on about.

I don't think it's necessary or particularly desirable to produce a complete watertight case in every post, there's a limit to how long a post should be...
  10. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    09 Jun '18 15:03
    Originally posted by @kazetnagorra
    The Keystone XL pipeline hasn't yet been constructed. How can its preliminary approval already lead to economic growth?
    Financial markets can be like that, they start allocating profits that haven't been made yet.
  11. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    09 Jun '18 15:08
    Originally posted by @philokalia
    The policy of enacting tariffs on foreign goods and also levying fines on foreign businesses -- such as the billion dollar fine on ZTE -- are means of increasing the governments income directly without raising taxes on Americans.

Simply improving the functionality of the system that we already have (of fines) and making our trade policy more logical ...[text shortened]... ven come up with ways to save millions & millions on things like free lunch programs in schools.
    The difficulty with the Trump tariffs is that Canada and the EU have announced retaliatory tariffs, particularly on steel products. So you can find yourselves losing on the swings what you had hoped to gain on the roundabouts.
  12. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    10 Jun '18 16:16
    Gee, a real shocker here. Andrew McCabe, the no-good compulsive liar, disgraced and fired former deputy FBI Director--who's being investigated for the gross mishandling in the Clinton email scandal--is demanding immunity or else he will plead the 5th so as not to incriminate himself.

Everyone's talking about Trump's "legal woes." McCabe, Comey, and ...[text shortened]... omething to hide. I'm guessing they will keep that argument tucked away for use some other day.
    In my opinion, one of those players should be granted immunity from prosecution. Otherwise there's no hope of getting a straight answer from anyone.
    The good news is no one will be able to feign amnesia and answer questions with "I do not recall".

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree