Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    30 Jan '10 21:41 / 1 edit
    If ad hominem attacks actually work, what does that say to the collective intelligence of the human race?
  2. 30 Jan '10 21:48
    "Work" in what sense?
  3. 30 Jan '10 21:53
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    "Work" in what sense?
    Agreed. He does need to elaborate a bit.
  4. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    30 Jan '10 23:54
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
    Agreed. He does need to elaborate a bit.
    Works in the sense that people like Rush Limbaugh use ad hominem attacks at his modus operandi and because of that is now the 'Spokesman' of the republican party, as reprehensible as I think his tactics are, he is now well on his way to becoming a billionaire because of it. It appalls me that someone would use this kind of tactic quite deliberately and it appalls me even more that people who listen to his tripe actually fall for his BS. That's what I mean by 'works'.
  5. 31 Jan '10 00:19
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Works in the sense that people like Rush Limbaugh use ad hominem attacks at his modus operandi and because of that is now the 'Spokesman' of the republican party, as reprehensible as I think his tactics are, he is now well on his way to becoming a billionaire because of it. It appalls me that someone would use this kind of tactic quite deliberately and it a ...[text shortened]... hat people who listen to his tripe actually fall for his BS. That's what I mean by 'works'.
    I fully agree. It's sad how well smears are rewarded in the political world and in the media. Our politicians are paid to work FOR us, not pump hysteria and false accusations like they're in freaking high school.
  6. 02 Feb '10 22:02
    I fully agree. It's sad how well smears are rewarded in the political world and in the media. Our politicians are paid to work FOR us, not pump hysteria and false accusations like they're in freaking high school.
    That sounds like a John Edwards statement
  7. 02 Feb '10 22:50
    Kinda like these?

1.MSNBC’s David Shuster on Tuesday used a poll by the liberal website Daily Kos to assert that "most Republicans" don’t believe Barack Obama was born in America and, thus, are birthers. Shuster marveled, "...As the Democrats try to talk about working with Republicans, given those numbers of Republican supporters, how is that possible?"

Read more: http://newsbusters.org/blogs/scott-whitlock/2010/02/02/msnbc-s-david-shuster-smears-most-republicans-are-birthers#ixzz0eQ9rGOiU

2.MSNBC's Keith Olbermann unleashed against GOP Senate candidate Scott Brown on Monday's Countdown, calling him "an irresponsible, homophobic, racist, reactionary, ex-nude model, teabagging supporter of violence against woman."

http://www.mrc.org/biasalert/2010/20100119093025.aspx

3.On Thursday's "Countdown," MSNBC's Keith Olbermann and his guest Janeane Garofalo defamed fellow citizens who attended the prior day's Tea Parties with the same vitriolic contempt.

Garofalo actually called Party-goers "a bunch of teabagging rednecks," adding "this is about hating a black man in the White House. This is racism straight up."

Read more: http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-sheppard/2009/04/16/garofalo-tea-partiers-are-all-racists-who-hate-black-president#ixzz0eQCeYGQj
  8. Subscriber kmax87
    You've got Kevin
    02 Feb '10 23:13
    Given that negative campaigns tend to win elections, aren't we past the tipping point where power can be wielded 'cleanly'. Would you vote for a politician who refused to fight dirty? How long before you would also agree with the detractors and dismiss the clean candidate as simply being weak, a bit of a cream puff, definitely someone you would not want in your corner when the chips are down.

Its interesting that the style of commentators like Limbaugh and Olberman once represented the fringe in journalism. If news is a market economy then supply and demand suggests that people are more than happy to be informed this way.
  9. 02 Feb '10 23:20 / 2 edits
    I think everyone here is fully aware that Keith Olbermann is the left-wing version of Rush Limbaugh. Olbermann himself would probably agree.

as for the poll where 42% of GOPs believe that Obama was born outside the US.

http://www.dailykos.com/statepoll/2010/1/31/US/437

the link you provided doesn't really refute this poll beyond saying that it was a "liberal" Daily Kos poll. Has anyone else done a poll on this topic so that we could have a comparison?

Looking at this poll, one thing did surprise me. Only 21% of GOPs believed that ACORN stole the 2008 election (with 55% unsure). If the poll had disproportionately sampled from the fringes, I would've expected a much higher percentage of yes answers to this question.

Also interesting -- 42% believed sex education should be taught in public schools - not the sort of thing I would expect the fringe to support.
  10. 02 Feb '10 23:25 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    Kinda like these?

1. MSNBC’s David Shuster on Tuesday used a poll by the liberal website Daily Kos to assert that "most Republicans" don’t believe Barack Obama was born in America and, thus, are birthers. Shuster marveled, "...As the Democrats try to talk about working with Republicans, given those numbers of Republican supporters, how is that po 16/garofalo-tea-partiers-are-all-racists-who-hate-black-president#ixzz0eQCeYGQj
    1. Uh.... WROOOOOONG. Dailykos did NOT conduct that poll. Research 2000 did. Dailykos reported on it. Also, YOU are one of those nutjobs questioning Obama's citizenship, are you not???

2. Keith Olbermann was over the top with his rhetoric in this case. But notice I (a Liberal) just admitted as much. Also, the notoriously liberal John Stewart blasted Olbermann about that on the Dailyshow. But Rush Limbaugh routinely uses nasty and uncalled for smears and you don't hear a peep about it coming from the right. Like when he called 13 year old Chelsey Clinton "the Whitehouse dog" and Sean Hannity actually defended him.

3. I didn't see this show so I can't comment on it.
  11. 02 Feb '10 23:39
    1. Uh.... WROOOOOONG. Dailykos did NOT conduct that poll. Research 2000 did. Dailykos reported on it. Also, YOU are one of those nutjobs questioning Obama's citizenship, are you not???

2. Keith Olbermann was over the top with his rhetoric in this case. But notice I (a Liberal) just admitted as much. Also, the notoriously liberal John Stewart bla ...[text shortened]... ean Hannity actually defended him.

3. I didn't see this show so I can't comment on it.
    you need to take that up w/news buster about the poll.

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/scott-whitlock/2010/02/02/msnbc-s-david-shuster-smears-most-republicans-are-birthers
  12. 02 Feb '10 23:54

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/scott-whitlock/2010/02/02/msnbc-s-david-shuster-smears-most-republicans-are-birthers
    They're not here for me to take it up with them, are they.

Also, YOU are one of the crazies who question Obama's place of birth, are you not?

So how is it an ad hominem to point out how many Republicans actually believe this crap?
  13. 02 Feb '10 23:55 / 2 edits

It doesn't appear that newsbusters had info regarding the poll beyond the fact that

1. it was a "Daily Kos/Research 2000 Poll"
    2. Daily Kos is a publication that takes a liberal viewpoint.
    3. There's been only been one poll of GOPs on this issue (at least at the time Shuster commented on the poll).

This does not mean that the poll is in any way faulty. An organization can be liberal or conservative and still conduct an unbiased poll. But I agree that you do need to have more than just one poll, even if that one poll was done by the most unbiased organization ever to exist.
  14. 03 Feb '10 00:02
    Originally posted by Melanerpes
    It doesn't appear that newsbusters had info regarding the poll beyond the fact that

1. it was a "Daily Kos/Research 2000 Poll"
    2. Daily Kos is a publication that takes a liberal viewpoint.
    3. There's been only been one poll of GOPs on this issue (at least at the time Shuster commented on the poll).

This does not mean that the poll is in any wa ...[text shortened]... st one poll, even if that one poll was done by the most unbiased organization ever to exist.
    It was scientific poll sponsored by Dailykos but conducted by Research 2000.

What's hilarious is that Uther is claiming Markos was "smearing" the right by pointing out how many Republicans believe the same thing Uther believes.
  15. 03 Feb '10 00:02
    They're not here for me to take it up with them, are they.

Also, YOU are one of the crazies who question Obama's place of birth, are you not?

So how is it an ad hominem to point out how many Republicans actually believe this crap?
    No. I am not a birther nor a republic. And I am not crazy nor am I a nutjob.