Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Standard member vivify
    rain
    04 Feb '16 03:25
    Are there any westernized nations that may arguably be hated around the world than the U.S.? That's not a rhetorical question. I'm genuinely interested to know. Around the world, the U.S. is despised. So are there any westernized (or industrialized) nations that we can truly say, "yes, they're hated more than America"?

Excluding Israel, of course.
  2. Standard member vivify
    rain
    04 Feb '16 03:26
    P.S.: If the U.S. abandoned its support of Israel, would our status go up in the world?
  3. 04 Feb '16 03:37
    Originally posted by vivify
    P.S.: If the U.S. abandoned its support of Israel, would our status go up in the world?
    I suspect the United States is hated by more people and more nations around the world. Not because of envy as some may argue but because of the way this nation has behaved in the last 20 years. A lot of things have happened to achieve this. Most of the goings on are transparent to people around the world but not to Americans. The media is Government controlled here and people still think we have a free press. It would take a long time to gain any trust back from most other nations.
  4. Standard member Soothfast
    04 Feb '16 05:58
    Are there any westernized nations that may arguably be hated around the world than the U.S.? That's not a rhetorical question. I'm genuinely interested to know. Around the world, the U.S. is despised. So are there any westernized (or industrialized) nations that we can truly say, "yes, they're hated more than America"?

The People's Republic of Texas?
  5. 04 Feb '16 07:25
    Actually, the image of the US around the world is fairly positive, except for a few areas such as the Middle East. I've lived in Europe all my life and I certainly don't recognize any general attitude of "hating" the US.

http://www.pewglobal.org/2015/06/23/1-americas-global-image/

I expect there are not many similar surveys of attitudes towards other Western countries simply because most of them are rather small. Go to an average Chinese and say "Luxembourg" and they might reply: "huh?" Say "Holland" and the response might be: "football!"
  6. Standard member bill718
    Enigma
    04 Feb '16 10:06

I can't think of any. Sadly, many policy makers in America sincerely mean well in what they are doing, but America has often operated in a heavy handed, and arrogant manner, and this has not helped America's reputation. Some of this hatred is justified, and some of it is not. I guess the same can be said for any powerful country.
  7. 04 Feb '16 10:37

I do not hate the US, nor is it hated in this part of the world as far as I know. It does get more attention than almost any other individual country except China, because it is large and influential. That attention may be both positive and negative. It is my understanding that many European countries have been involved in the wars in the middle east. But I could not easily list which ones where involved where and when or what they did or what political reasons they may have had. An exception might be Libya where certain European countries were said to have particular interests.
    In terms of size and influence the US should be compared to Europe and not individual countries.

As a Zambian I dislike Switzerland because they are stealing from us. I do not hate all Swiss people as most of them are probably unaware of what they are doing, although given the publicity that the Swiss banking system has, I am sure they are aware that their country has historically lived largely on wrong doing.
  8. 04 Feb '16 10:54 / 1 edit
    If the US is so hated why are so many people risking their lives to come to it?
  9. 04 Feb '16 13:07
    One of the great the things about the United States is its support of Israel.
  10. Standard member vivify
    rain
    04 Feb '16 13:20
    Originally posted by quackquack
    One of the great the things about the United States is its support of Israel.
    Are you religious?
  11. 04 Feb '16 14:02
    Are you religious?
    No. If I were I might like Arab Fundamentalist countries
  12. 04 Feb '16 14:15
    Originally posted by joe beyser
    I suspect the United States is hated by more people and more nations around the world. Not because of envy as some may argue but because of the way this nation has behaved in the last 20 years. A lot of things have happened to achieve this. Most of the goings on are transparent to people around the world but not to Americans. The media is Government contr ...[text shortened]... we have a free press. It would take a long time to gain any trust back from most other nations.
    I wonder if the same standard were applied to other nations that are to the US, whether any nation would be very popular?

For example, if you are admitted as a Palestinian refugee, you can be pretty sure that the militant Islamist trying to kill you will also be admitted.
  13. Standard member shavixmir
    Guppy poo
    04 Feb '16 14:27
    I think there's a large loathing of US foreign policy.
    Most folk couldn't care less what's happening over there internally.

Pretty much the same can be said about most countries that meddle in other people's affairs.
    The British empire, for example, made few friends in Ireland, Pakistan, etc.
  14. 04 Feb '16 14:27
    Why would it? Hatred of Jews and hatred of the US aren't mutually exclusive. In some cases they stem from the same misunderstanding of economics. Many believe in some static pile of money (assets) which if used by one, aren't available for others. That has been rendered nonsense, but it still persists, even among highly educated people.

Short and sweet, instead of grousing about how much money the US and Israel spend, make something and get some of that spent money.
  15. Standard member shavixmir
    Guppy poo
    04 Feb '16 15:08
    You can't compare the hatred of members of a religion to the hatred of a country.
    Way too generalistic.

The hatred of Jews in Israel has nothing to do with them being Jewish. It's actually a disgust with Israeli politics and / or a frustration about how they came about the land they now own.

Hatred of the US is, as I've already mentioned, a hatred of US foreign policy; both covert and overt.