Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Standard member Bosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    18 Aug '09 12:49
    Any rational arguments in favour?
  2. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    18 Aug '09 12:54 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    Any rational arguments in favour?
    Because you want to, and because it's none of anyone else's business whether you do or not.

Why drink black coffee?

Why wear a red shirt?
  3. Standard member Seitse
    Doug Stanhope
    18 Aug '09 12:54 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by sh76
    Because you want to, and because it's none of anyone else's business whether you do or not.
    Do babies want to get a circumcision?
  4. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    18 Aug '09 12:56 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Seitse
    Do babies want to get a yummy circumcision?
    Babies have that decision made for them by their parents.

Parents decide where babies live, what they eat and drink, where they play, where they go to school, with whom they play, and yes... whether they get circumcised.

You liberals want freedom for everything except for anything that may have religious overtones.
  5. Standard member Seitse
    Doug Stanhope
    18 Aug '09 12:59 / 1 edit

Parents decide where babies live, what they eat and drink, where they play, where they go to school, with whom they play, and yes... whether they get circumcised.

You liberals want freedom for everything except for anything that may have religious overtones.
    For some of us faith can coexist with freedom and common sense.

http://www.jewsagainstcircumcision.org/
  6. Standard member Bosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    18 Aug '09 12:59

Why drink black coffee?

Why wear a red shirt?
    "Hmm, do I want tea or coffee? Hang it, I think I'll have myself circumcised instead!"

Because you want to circumcise other people? I should think you need a good reason.
  7. Standard member Bosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    18 Aug '09 13:03

People often confused religion with tradition. A Jew, for example, is anyone born of a Jewish mother. No need for circumcision. Much like a woman need not dress in black from head to toe to be a Muslim.
  8. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    18 Aug '09 13:10 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Seitse
    For some of us faith can coexist with freedom and common sense.

http://www.jewsagainstcircumcision.org/
    Okay; first of all, there have been many health benefits of circumcision that have been established

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/circumcision/PR00040

But, I'm not going to get into a debate on whether it's a net health benefit because that's irrelevant.

It's a matter of personal choice and personal freedom. Parents make decisions for their children routinely, and this is one of them. How about you coexist with my freedom from you and stay the heck out of my decision??

God, some liberals are such disgusting hypocrites.

A woman has every right to kill her fetus! It's personal freedom! Stay the heck out of her decision!

Parents have no right to cut a little foreskin off their baby's penis! Now we have to step in and protect the baby!

If there weren't really people who thought that way it would be laughable.
  9. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    18 Aug '09 13:12
    People often confused religion with tradition. A Jew, for example, is anyone born of a Jewish mother. No need for circumcision. Much like a woman need not dress in black from head to toe to be a Muslim.
    That's not the point. A Jew is still a Jew if he eats a cheeseburger with bacon; but some Jews choose not to do so, for religious reasons. A Jew is still a Jew if he's not circumcised, but some Jews choose to do so for religious reasons.
  10. Standard member Bosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    18 Aug '09 13:14

Parents have no right to cut a little foreskin off their baby's penis! Now we have to step in and protect the baby!
    The OP merely asks for rational arguments in favour of circumcision. I, for one, don't advocate intervention in this matter. I'm just curious as to why people think circumcision is a good idea.

About 80% of the people in the ante-natal class I attended intended circumcising their child if it were a boy. Not one had a more substantial reason than 'tradition'.
  11. Standard member Bosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    18 Aug '09 13:15 / 1 edit
    That's not the point. A Jew is still a Jew if he eats a cheeseburger with bacon; but some Jews choose not to do so, for religious reasons. A Jew is still a Jew if he's not circumcised, but some Jews choose to do so for religious reasons.
    Eating bacon is a breach of the dietary laws; not being circumcised breaches no laws.

If circumcision isn't a religious requirement, then how can it be a religious requirement?
  12. Standard member Seitse
    Doug Stanhope
    18 Aug '09 13:16
    Okay; first of all, there have been many health benefits of circumcision that have been established

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/circumcision/PR00040

But, I'm not going to get into a debate on whether it's a net health benefit because that's irrelevant.

It's a matter of personal choice and personal freedom. Parents make decisions for their children ...[text shortened]... t the baby!

If there weren't really people who thought that way it would be laughable.
    Take it easy, a vain will pop in your head or something.

I think a good exercise would be to recall your reaction when you heard that some cultures still practice female circumcision.

If you tell me that your reaction was ok, it's cool that they do and in my backyard I would defend the parent's right to mutilate their daughter's clitoris, then I have nothing else to say.

Coherence is the key word, remember.
  13. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    18 Aug '09 13:18
    The OP merely asks for rational arguments in favour of circumcision. I, for one, don't advocate intervention in this matter. I'm just curious as to why people think circumcision is a good idea.

About 80% of the people in the ante-natal class I attended intended circumcising their child if it were a boy. Not one had a more substantial reason than 'tradition'.
    And you meant entirely no inference that whether the procedure should be allowed is a policy question that should be looked into?

If not, then fine. I overreacted.
  14. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    18 Aug '09 13:22
    Eating bacon is a breach of the dietary laws; not being circumcised breaches no laws.

If circumcision isn't a religious requirement, then how can it be a religious requirement?
    uhhh..... wrong.

For Jews, Circumcision is a religious requirement. It's one of the 613 commandments.

http://www.jewfaq.org/613.htm

(see #17)

And, yes, most of those don't apply in today's day and age.

I'm not saying people should follow that list if they're Jewish. People can do what they want. But, you're incorrect about circumcision not being a religious requirement.
  15. 18 Aug '09 13:24

But there are limitations to what parents can do to their children, for example beating them up is illegal. And circumcision should also be.