1. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Apr '14 13:00
    if a jobs worth doing then do it tomorrow or get someone else to do it.
  2. This is embarrasking
    Moves
    26 Apr '14 14:10
    You've just sealed an envelope and realise your're an idiot because you didn't place the check inside but already placed the stamp. Don't worry there is a solution. Put the envelope in the freezer for an hour or two and, the envelope will usually unseal without a trace. Just make sure the stamp is still secure after thaw.
  3. This is embarrasking
    Moves
    26 Apr '14 20:35
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Wax paper is a waterproof paper made from paraffin which is a petroleum by product that has had the oily yuck removed. Candles are sometimes made from paraffin. It shouldn't be a problem. Try it on an old pair of jeans and go from there. I've been doing it for years without a problem. In fact it will help protect your fabrics from some grease stains.
  4. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    27 Apr '14 13:37
    Originally posted by cashthetrash
    Wax paper is a waterproof paper made from paraffin which is a petroleum by product that has had the oily yuck removed. Candles are sometimes made from paraffin. It shouldn't be a problem. Try it on an old pair of jeans and go from there. I've been doing it for years without a problem. In fact it will help protect your fabrics from some grease stains.
    So I've been cautioned for years not to do this. Is it just an old wives' tale then about the staining?
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    27 Apr '14 13:38
    You've just sealed an envelope and realise your're an idiot because you didn't place the check inside but already placed the stamp. Don't worry there is a solution. Put the envelope in the freezer for an hour or two and, the envelope will usually unseal without a trace. Just make sure the stamp is still secure after thaw.
    This is a fantastic tip.
  6. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    27 Apr '14 14:20

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

7. This is embarrasking
    Moves
    27 Apr '14 14:58
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    So I've been cautioned for years not to do this. Is it just an old wives' tale then about the staining?
    I've never heard or seen a wives tale saying that paraffin won't wash out. It's not like you pour the stuff on. It just makes the iron glide better. You can't even see it on the iron much less the fabric. You can hardly see it on the paper itself.

Besides I got the hint from an old wife who ironed professionally.
  8. This is embarrasking
    Moves
    27 Apr '14 15:07
    I'll need to try this, it sounds like a winner if a person is not in a hurry.

Thanks sweet pea.
  9. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    27 Apr '14 15:32

10. This is embarrasking
    Moves
    27 Apr '14 15:47
    Now that I think about it I boil eggs the same way.
    1) place eggs and tap water in pan. Add a small spoon of baking soda to water. This will help eggs peal easier
    2) turn on heat and allow water to come to a boil
    3) immediately remove pan and place on cooling rack
    4) When water has cooled begin pealing process and you will have hard boiled eggs with less time on stove. For soft boiled remover sooner.
  11. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    27 Apr '14 17:05

12. This is embarrasking
    Moves
    27 Apr '14 17:57
    Cool idea. Heres a drying tip.
    When drying clothes especially in cold or humid weather some days it seems to take forever. Try placing one or two dry bath towels in with your dryer. It cuts the trying time down a lot.
  13. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    28 Apr '14 05:361 edit
    I clean the inside of my thermos by filling with warm water and dropping in 3 denture cleansing tablets. In the morning I rinse it out a few times and the inside is clean. I have a two quart thermos, so two tablets is probably all you need for a one quart size. Just don't fill it all the way to the top with water, because if you do the foam will spill over.
  14. This is embarrasking
    Moves
    30 Apr '14 16:40
    Loosen a rusted bolt by applying a cloth soaked in a carbonated soda to the rusted bolt for several minutes.
  15. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Apr '14 16:43
    Loosen a rusted bolt by applying a cloth soaked in a carbonated soda to the rusted bolt for several minutes.
    if you have a flat tire and no spare call in the UXB squad to blow it up

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree