General Forum

General Forum

  1. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Joined
    14 Jul '07
    Moves
    43012
    23 Feb '16 17:174 edits
    "Kindred Spirits"

    "Types of Kindred Spirits Kindred spirits come in all forms. A co-worker who hates the company as much as you do, a sibling who shares your parental frustrations or a neighbor who boycotts the same block party as you all count as kindred spirits. In an informal way, this term has come to mean someone you feel a connection with, or someone who understands you. There are kindred spirits who seem to share all of your goals, ambitions and thought processes and there are those who share with you only one unique quality. Someone who has a rare illness, for example, may find a kindred spirit in someone who has little in common with them except for a diagnosis.

    Word Origins: "The words "kindred" and "spirit" both arose from the 13th century. Kindred evolved from the Old English word kinraden, which itself came from the word raeden, meaning to "condition" or "rule." Spirit has its roots in the Old French word, "espirit." The word kindred generally refers to family or relatives, while spirit has many meanings, including the original version of the word, espirit, meaning "soul, courage, vigor and breath." The term "kindred spirit" itself has an unclear history in terms of its first usage." http://kuriakon00.tripod.com/soulmate/kindred_spirits.html
    ________________

    Observations: In recent months it's become increasingly apparent to me that "Kindred Spirits" may actually simultaneously send, receive and process impromptu/spontaneous Kindred Spirit Memos at odd hours of the day and night. These invisible yet palpable communications seem to suggest that a virtual conversation is taking place before the fact [especially when they're subsequently followed by an email or phone call which validates the date and time when they occurred with online and/or offline loved ones and trusted friends].

    Let's brain storm this fascinating and as yet unexplored phenomena with your own personal observations and insights. Regards, GB
  2. Standard memberdrewnogal
    Rocky 2008-2019
    Ecofreak
    Joined
    07 Aug '12
    Moves
    41119
    23 Feb '16 17:19

    This post is unavailable.

    Please refer to our posting guidelines.

  3. Fermata
    Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    94301
    23 Feb '16 19:292 edits
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    It's interesting that this is your initial reaction to this post by Grampy Bobby.

    Edit: Interesting not because I'm saying you are being in any way provocative, just that it was your initial thought.
  4. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    112698
    23 Feb '16 19:33
    Man, if you are man, I was thinking the same thing.😲
  5. Standard memberdrewnogal
    Rocky 2008-2019
    Ecofreak
    Joined
    07 Aug '12
    Moves
    41119
    23 Feb '16 20:15

    This post is unavailable.

    Please refer to our posting guidelines.

  6. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    326101
    23 Feb '16 20:43
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    [b]"Kindred Spirits"

    "Types of Kindred Spirits Kindred spirits come in all forms. A co-worker who hates the company as much as you do, a sibling who shares your parental frustrations or a neighbor who boycotts the same block party as you all count as kindred spirits. In an informal way, this term has come to mean someone you feel a connection wit ...[text shortened]... ng and as yet unexplored phenomena with your own personal observations and insights. Regards, GB[/b]
    I have a feeling that the term "kindred spirits" was coined by L.M. Montgomery, in her "Anne of Green Gables" and following books, set largely in Prince Edward Island. I don't know this fir fact but I loved those books when I was growing up and the phrase was presented then as though it originated with the people and world she created.

    Does anyone remember and does anyone know different?
  7. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Joined
    14 Jul '07
    Moves
    43012
    23 Feb '16 23:15
    "Kindred: 1125-75; Middle English, variant (with epenthetic derivative) of kinrede.

    Related forms:
    kindredless, adjective
    kindredness, noun
    kindredship, noun

    Noun
    1. a person's relatives collectively; kinfolk; kin.
    2. a group of persons related to another; family, tribe, or clan.
    3. relationship by birth or descent, or sometimes by marriage; kinship.
    4. natural relationship; affinity.

    Adjective:
    5. associated by origin, nature, qualities, etc.:
    kindred languages.
    6. having the same belief, attitude, or feeling:
    We are kindred spirits on the issue of gun control.
    7. related by birth or descent; having kinship:
    kindred tribes.
    8. belonging to kin or relatives:
    kindred blood.

    Synonyms:
    agnate
    general
    generic
    incident
    kindred
    like
    same
    universal
    affiliated
    akin
    allied
    analogous
    comparable
    connate
    connatural
    connected
    consanguine
    related
    similar"
    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/kindred
  8. SubscriberFMF
    Studying God figures
    Human Condition East
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30003
    24 Feb '16 07:41
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    ..."Kindred Spirits" may actually simultaneously send, receive and process impromptu/spontaneous Kindred Spirit Memos at odd hours of the day and night. These invisible yet palpable communications seem to suggest that a virtual conversation is taking place before the fact...
    Are you saying that you have been having some sort of extrasensory perception experiences?
  9. Fermata
    Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    94301
    24 Feb '16 07:421 edit
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    In recent months it's become increasingly apparent to me that "Kindred Spirits" may actually simultaneously send, receive and process impromptu/spontaneous Kindred Spirit Memos at odd hours of the day and night. These invisible yet palpable communications seem to suggest that a virtual conversation is taking place before the fact...
    Clearly your "kindred spirits" demonstrate their "palpable" approval of your OP through their "invisible" thumbs up 😉
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52913
    24 Feb '16 16:05
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Clearly your "kindred spirits" demonstrate their "palpable" approval of your OP through their "invisible" thumbs up 😉
    Of course, Kindred Spirits could also be a family who kills their members and uses the bodies to make an alcoholic beverage served at the funerals.....
  11. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Joined
    14 Jul '07
    Moves
    43012
    24 Feb '16 16:09
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Of course, Kindred Spirits could also be a family who kills their members and uses the bodies to make an alcoholic beverage served at the funerals.....
    Excellent insight.
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52913
    24 Feb '16 16:58
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Excellent insight.
    🙂
  13. Unknown Territories
    Joined
    05 Dec '05
    Moves
    20408
    24 Feb '16 17:36
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Of course, Kindred Spirits could also be a family who kills their members and uses the bodies to make an alcoholic beverage served at the funerals.....
    ... thus, the origin of the famous "Bloody Mary."
  14. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52913
    24 Feb '16 17:46
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    ... thus, the origin of the famous "Bloody Mary."
    The original drink used real blood but it didn't catch on...
  15. Fermata
    Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    94301
    24 Feb '16 18:28
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Excellent insight.
    The "excellent insight" which you failed to congratulate, was drewnogal's first post.
Back to Top