1. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    28 Feb '16 22:17
    In your personal experiences over the years, what are the near and longer term effects
    of extreme fatigue on the function of the conscious and subconscious human mind?
  2. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    29 Feb '16 00:16
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    I believe dreams are just the unconscious brain getting rid of information it doesn't need to hang onto. A 'sleep dustbin' if you like. (Which is why we usually forget dreams when we wake up, or only have a hazy recollection of them). In short, we're not mean't to remember them. (It's like going to the trash bin and taking out something we've already ...[text shortened]... rid of random information we already know, how could they ever tell us anything we don't know?!
    Well, if dreaming is merely the discarding of needless information we've gathered from our senses, then a dream about something we did not know by way of our senses would not be part of that process.

Is having such a dream possible?
  3. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    29 Feb '16 00:19
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Why do you find it "amazing"? It's just a quote from someone you don't know, made by Grampy Bobby who posts hundreds of quotes, rather than contribute genuine thoughts of his own.

Why...?
    What I find "amazing" is the idea that one can dream a dream about a previously unknown thing.
  4. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    29 Feb '16 00:21
    Originally posted by Startreader
    To have such a dream will be a great gift.
    Truly.

It implies that such a dream was planted in one's mind by an outside agency.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29 Feb '16 00:37
    Originally posted by josephw
    Truly.

It implies that such a dream was planted in one's mind by an outside agency.
    One could fall asleep in front of the TV, hear something, and the scrap of information could turn up in a jumble of ideas (a dream) at some later point, but one would be ill-advised to look upon this idea as being "a dream about a previously unknown thing".
  6. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    29 Feb '16 00:501 edit
    What I find "amazing" is the idea that one can dream a dream about a previously unknown thing.
    My own experience as well: "a previously unknown thing" and long since forgotten places or persons.
  7. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    29 Feb '16 00:53
    Originally posted by FMF
    One could fall asleep in front of the TV, hear something, and the scrap of information could turn up in a jumble of ideas (a dream) at some later point, but one would be ill-advised to look upon this idea as being "a dream about a previously unknown thing".
    True.

But what of the possibility of having a "dream" not caused by information gathered by the senses?

I'm merely suggesting that if such a thing is possible, then such a "dream" would have to be planted in the mind by an outside agency.

Unless you have another suggestion?
  8. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    29 Feb '16 00:55
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    My own experience as well: "a previously unknown thing" and long since forgotten places or persons.
    I can't say that I've ever had a dream like that. I think if I did I would have been frightened by it.
  9. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    29 Feb '16 01:48
    I can't say that I've ever had a dream like that. I think if I did I would have been frightened by it.
    Ever consider the possibility that some nightmares may not be negative in terms of their beneficial impact on our lives?
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29 Feb '16 01:52
    But what of the possibility of having a "dream" not caused by information gathered by the senses?
    I basically concur with Ghost of a Duke in his characterization of what dreams actually are and what they consist of.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29 Feb '16 01:54
    I'm merely suggesting that if such a thing is possible, then such a "dream" would have to be planted in the mind by an outside agency.
    Planted? By a TV set, a radio, a conversation overheard but not paid attention to at the time, a long 'forgotten' magazine article you once read ~ that kind of thing?
  12. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    29 Feb '16 02:12
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Ever consider the possibility that some nightmares may not be negative in terms of their beneficial impact on our lives?
    Well, no, but how would I know? Truth is I place no stock in my dreams one way or the other. Dreams and the subconscious are just mysteries to me. Entertaining to explore and discuss, but who really knows. I sure don't. I know they exist, but I don't know how or why, and I don't think anyone else does either.

Ecclesiastes 5:33a
    For a dream cometh through the multitude of business;
  13. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    29 Feb '16 02:19
    Originally posted by FMF
    Planted? By a TV set, a radio, a conversation overheard but not paid attention to at the time, a long 'forgotten' magazine article you once read ~ that kind of thing?
    I think you're missing a part of what I said.

What about a dream that isn't caused by any information gathered through the senses? I've never had one as far as I know. Have you?
  14. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    29 Feb '16 02:21
    Originally posted by FMF
    I basically concur with Ghost of a Duke in his characterization of what dreams actually are and what they consist of.
    Good enough for me.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29 Feb '16 02:36
    I think you're missing a part of what I said.

What about a dream that isn't caused by any information gathered through the senses? I've never had one as far as I know. Have you?
    You seem to be saying something along the lines of '...if it had been planted by an outside agency then it would have been planted by an outside agency and wouldn't that be interesting' which sounds a bit like the kind of speculation that leads to belief in supernatural things. I have never had any convincing reason to believe that anyone's dream was caused by information not gathered through the senses.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree