1st - 10 pts - 18 Royal Perspective
    2nd - 8 pts - 7 Battlement Unity
    3rd - 6 pts - 8 Bons Vivants
    4th - 5 pts - 22 Ugh, The Bishop's Farted
    5th - 4 pts - 24 Fate of the Enemy
    6th - 3 pts - 21 Timebank Running
    7th - 2 pts - 14 Good vs Evil
    8th - 1 pt – 13 Foreshadowing Mate

Can I give Gatecrasher a medal for reminding me how to use Firefox to make life easier?
    Some great photos with so much variety and different takes on the subject. It was hard to chose only 8, because there was so much creativity and variety shown.

It was very close between my 1st and 2nd - black and white or colour. After much thought - black and white wins with Royal Perspective. It’s a lovely sharp shot with natural reflections, nice dof and unusual framing.

I love the green fields behind “Battlement Unity” enhancing the castle effect and as someone else mentioned, so well created I can hear them jostling for position. A clever description too.

Bon Vivants is a lovely composition with good dof though its lacking contrast and the colour is slightly dull.

The Bishop farted is a nice light and crisp shot with great dof.

Fate of the Enemy another clever shot, shame the nose was chopped off.

Timebank Running, a very intriguing photo with some lovely details, wish the photo was cropped down to where the branch starts cos the branch really bugged me and lost it places.

Good versus Evil – amazing! it has two players, a chess board and chess pieces in glorious colour. Too much light on the left hand player though.

Foreshadowing Mate – another clever idea and I like the diagonal lines.

Thank you Nordyls for all the work involved in running this and good luck to you all.

Sarah
  2. Antwerp, Belgium
    Moves
    15 Mar '06 10:501 edit
    1. Nr. 16 His Own Enemy
    2. Nr. 14 Good vs Evil
    3. Nr. 24 Fate of the Enemy
    4. Nr. 12 En passant
    5. Nr. 8 Bon Vivants

His Own Enemy : Expresses the duality in everything. The King and his shadow are a schizophrenic couple. They always win and lose (draw excluded).

Good vs. Evil : Very natural picture using the theme of Disney Chess.

Fate of the Enemy : Nice trickshot! I wonder who the enemy was...

En Passant : The movement underlines the "En Passant" action and the shawl makes the definite link to the chess. Too bad the girl is degrated to a pawn.

Bon Vivants : Reminds me of our lifestyle.

Julia
  3. Parallel Universe
    Moves
    15 Mar '06 22:561 edit
    I know it's a little soon, but when it's permitted, I'd like to know how the foreground and e4 pieces are in focus, but nothing else, in 1.e4. (This is better than "bump".)

What type of chess set is that in Regicide?

Where did the people Adjourn to? (Rhetorical question.)

Are you Analyzing one game or four?

What are you saying AAArrrgh about?

Is that background in Unity for real or PhotoShopped?

What does Bon Vivants mean (Call me an ignorant American if you want.)

Where is that chess set in Closeup? I want to play it!

How did you come up with your View?

Do you know the girl in En Passant?

Which pieces are owned by whom in the Shadows?

That is not an Evil-looking yard at all. Who is your Good groundskeeper?

Where is the Knight restaurant? That shot has grown on me.

What kind of wood is the Enemy made of?

How did you get the lines behind the Perspective?

Why did the Royal photographer decide to blur the two pieces?

What's the dog's name?

What would make someone go Running away from a beautiful game in such a beautiful place?

Why are the pieces different colors. Did the Fart dye them?

Where did you find those flippin' sweet shoes? I haven't seen them for sale since I was in Jr. Highschool.

Who was your Enemy? Anyone in particular? Is that a poster behind his majesty?
  4. Standard membermokko
    Sinner
    Where I belong
    Moves
    16 Mar '06 04:00
    1st - 10 pts -16 His Own Enemy
    2nd - 8 pts -7 Battlement Unity
    3rd - 6 pts -18 Royal Perspective
    4th - 5 pts -21 Timebank Running
    5th - 4 pts -13 Foreshadowing Mate
    6th - 3 pts -1 1.e4
    7th - 2 pts -3 Regicide
    8th - 1 pt -19 Royalty

I really thought that en passant was an excellent shot as. I also have to say I love the Norweigen Elk hound in Taking lessons. Both my mom and my aunt each have one. They're such wonderfull dogs. Didn't know you could teach them chess though. I'll have to try that my next visit. 😀
  5. Standard memberTirau Dan
    Enjoying Life
    Tirau NZ
    Moves
    16 Mar '06 09:41
    Pink Thunder you are a beaut mate thats an awesome dig.. hahaha can' wait to get in and answer pert to mine and get the rest coooool.
    This is a good fun round.
  6. UK
    Moves
    16 Mar '06 20:25
    Originally posted by pinkthunder
    I know it's a little soon, but when it's permitted, I'd like to know how the foreground and e4 pieces are in focus, but nothing else, in 1.e4. (This is better than "bump".)

it's to do with what's called "depth of field", which basically means "how much of the picture is in focus".

A large aperture on the camera whilst taking the shot will narrow down the dof to the area being focussed on, allowing you to blur out details that you want blurred. Conversely a small aperture will widen the dof, which can be useful for landscapes, etc..
  7. Parallel Universe
    Moves
    16 Mar '06 21:542 edits
    Originally posted by mrmist
    it's to do with what's called "depth of field", which basically means "how much of the picture is in focus...".
    As a pretty serious photographer (a serious hobbyist who's taken many college-accredited courses on photography, anyway), I'm well aware of depth of field. This shot looks like it may have been at 1.8 or 2.0, it's so narrow, even though it says 5.6. What I don't understand is how there are two areas of focus in the picture, one being very close to the lens and the other farther away. Usually there is only one spot of focus. Someone else mentioned this--was curious about it--in their voting, too. It doesn't look like the two things in focus are the same distance from the lens. My eyes may be fooled, but I don't think so. That's why I'd like to hear what the photographer says.

Really, my questions (perhaps a bit lame) were aimed at furthering discussions of the pictures instead of focusing so much on votes. I love photography and like to hear what others have to say about photos, too. I usually "see" something new.
  8. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    16 Mar '06 22:00
    As a pretty serious photographer (a serious hobbyist who's taken many college-accredited courses on photography, anyway), I'm well aware of depth of field. This shot looks like it may have been at 1.8 or 2.0, it's so narrow, even though it says 5.6. What I don't understand is how there are two areas of focus in the picture, one being very close to the le ...[text shortened]... like to hear what others have to say about photos, too. I usually "see" something new.
    That's not a pawn that's in focus. It looks like the King from the other pics, which would be behind the in focus e2 pawn. So both areas of focus would be at the same distance.

D
  9. Parallel Universe
    Moves
    16 Mar '06 22:03
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    That's not a pawn that's in focus. It looks like the King from the other pics, which would be behind the in focus e2 pawn. So both areas of focus would be at the same distance.

D
    I think you're right. Now I see it. Fooled me and at least one other voter. Glad I asked. Simple.
  10. The sky
    Moves
    16 Mar '06 22:191 edit
    I think you're right. Now I see it. Fooled me and at least one other voter. Glad I asked. Simple.
    It fooled me, too. Even now that I know it, I still find it difficult to see. Interesting effect, although I would like the picture better without this effect.
  11. Joined
    16 Jul '02
    Moves
    16 Mar '06 22:19
    It confused me too, I also thought it was the front pawn that was partly in focus. I still have to look closely to see it 'correctly'.

David
  12. The sky
    Moves
    16 Mar '06 22:20
    Originally posted by DdV
    It confused me too, I also thought it was the front pawn that was partly in focus. I still have to look closely to see it 'correctly'.

David
    Lol, telepathy? 😉
  13. Parallel Universe
    Moves
    16 Mar '06 22:28
    I'm glad to hear I wasn't the only one fooled.

I'd just like to say that even though I've been educated on photography, I know there is a big difference between education and application. I wish I could shoot as well as some of the people in this forum, even! There are some really good shots/photographers in these contests. I'm looking forward to more, and hope you can keep them going, Nordlys.
  14. Under the North Star
    Moves
    16 Mar '06 22:48
    Originally posted by mokko
    They're such wonderfull dogs. Didn't know you could teach them chess though. I'll have to try that my next visit. 😀
    What if the dog is the one who's giving the lessons?
  15. The sky
    Moves
    16 Mar '06 23:02
    Are you Analyzing one game or four?
    Looks like the same game on all boards to me.

Is that background in Unity for real or PhotoShopped?

According to the photographer, "original no enhancements", so I'd say it must be real.

What does Bon Vivants mean (Call me an ignorant American if you want.)

Bon = good, vivant = living (ignorant American! 😉)

Do you know the girl in En Passant?

Read the photographer's comments.

Why did the Royal photographer decide to blur the two pieces?

I don't know, but it looks kind of cool.

What would make someone go Running away from a beautiful game in such a beautiful place?

I don't know, but it looks kind of cold.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree