RHP Photography Competition: CHESS

RHP Photography Competition: CHESS

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

N

The sky

Moves
24 Mar 06
2 edits

Argh, I just noticed I had forgotten pinkthunder's vote! 😳 I am very sorry. I really need someone to check my counting next time. But at least it doesn't change the first places. Here's the corrected list:

1 18. Royal Perspective (rbmorris) 124
2 21. Timebank Running (DdV) 102
3 16. His Own Enemy (Nerdlys) 79
4 7. Battlement Unity (Tirau Dan) 72
5 24. Fate of the Enemy (ictoan) 51
6 4. Adjournment (Gatecrasher) 47
7 3. Regicide (Regneark) 46
8 1. 1.e4 (Regneark) 45
9 14. Good vs Evil (Gatecrasher) 43
10 13. Foreshadowing Mate (pinkthunder) 42
11 8. Bons Vivants (Gatecrasher) 41
12 12. En Passant (Niallone) 31
13 15. KnightHawk (Niallone) 31
14 23. Your Move (Niallone) 29
15 2. Calm Reflections (Regneark) 12
16 20. Taking Lessons (lioness) 12
17 10. Chess View (Nerdlys) 9
18 19. Royalty (DdV) 6
19 22. Ugh, The Bishop's Farted (Tirau Dan) 6
20 6. Arrrrghh (Tirau Dan) 3
21 5. Analysis (lioness) 2
22 9. Closeup (essjaynz) 1
23 11. Outdoors (essjaynz) 0
24 17. Playing on RHP (lioness) 0

Vampyroteuthis

Infernalis

Moves
24 Mar 06

Originally posted by Peachy
This is the nicest post I've seen from you evil monkey.

Very well done.
(for winning the competition tooπŸ˜‰)
Thanks! πŸ™‚ Don't tell anyone. The evil monkey has a reputation to maintain. πŸ˜‰

N

The sky

Moves
24 Mar 06

Originally posted by bananawho
Hey, I got a trifecta! πŸ˜€ What do I win?
You win a box of ice cream. You can pick it up in Bodø.

Niallone also wins some ice cream for managing to get all his pictures on consecutive ranks. He won't get a whole box, though, because only two of his pictures had exactly the same number of points.

r
Ginger Scum

Paranoia

Moves
25 Mar 06

Originally posted by rbmorris
Thanks! πŸ™‚ Don't tell anyone. The evil monkey has a reputation to maintain. πŸ˜‰
Well done.

I said in my vote, but repeat - this was the best round so far.

b

San Diego

Moves
25 Mar 06

Originally posted by Nordlys
You win a box of ice cream. You can pick it up in Bodø
That will be acceptable. How big is the box? Or, more to the point, how much ice cream is in the box? And dare I ask what flavour?

N

The sky

Moves
25 Mar 06

Originally posted by bananawho
That will be acceptable. How big is the box? Or, more to the point, how much ice cream is in the box? And dare I ask what flavour?
Your choice (as long as I can get it here), up to 2 l (although I would recommend smaller boxes because the quality of the ice cream in 2 l boxes usually isn't that great).

N

The sky

Moves
25 Mar 06

Originally posted by pinkthunder
How interpretive can we be on the next round?
We have had a discussion about this category ("Still Life" ) a while ago (I don't remember when or in which thread it was), and to clarify what was meant by it, "(an arrangement of inanimate objects)" was added. I won't reject entries which don't fit that description, but personally I most likely wouldn't vote for them because I'd consider them off topic, and I would probably not be the only one to see it that way, so I wouldn't recommend entering such pictures.

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
25 Mar 06
1 edit

1 1.e4
2 Calm Reflections
3 Regicide
4 Adjournment - While I really appreciate the setting of this photo (and wouldn't mind a game there), the photo itself did nothing for me. 4/10
5 Analysis - The same with this one. Its a picture of some chess boards. That's it. 2
6 Arrrrghh - I don't get this at all. 2
7 Battlement Unity - At first glance, I thought this was terrible, but I slowly began to appreciate it more and more. As somebody else said, you can nearly see them jostling for position. 6
8 Bons Vivants - I liked this much more than adjournment. The composition is good. The DOF is very pleasing to the eye. 7
9 Closeup - Very soft (as acknowledged by SJ.) 2
10 Chess View - Interesting interpretation. I think I'd have much preferred it if the chess board took up all of the frame though. 4
11 Outdoors - Again, another picture that does nothing for me. 2
12 En Passant - Great photo, and nice post production. I'd prefer if there wasn't the blur around her though, I think. 7
13 Foreshadowing Mate - I liked the simplicity of this photo. Great shadows, nice angle. The one thing that mildly bothers me about this one is the detail down in the bottom right corner. It'd be more effective if the photo was all shadow, so I think that might be worth photoshopping out. 8
14 Good vs Evil - A nice photo which I'm sure can be really appreciated by somebody who knows the girls. 5
15 KnightHawk - Much too soft for my liking, and I also don't know Nighthawks, so I can't relate with the pic. 4
16 His Own Enemy - This one that was pushing for a place in my votes. Its good the way the reflection is darker(obviously), so it could be the opponents King. Nicely balanced. 7
17 Playing On RHP - Didn't hold my attention. 3
18 Royal Perspective - Nice pic, would have placed higher in my votes apart from my couple of comments earlier. 7.5
19 Royalty - Another one pushing for a vote. Nice and simple, but effective, IMO. 7
20 Taking Lessons - The cuteness factor doesn't do it for me. 4
21 Timebank Running - Very nice composition and great touch that it is your in progress game with Noodles. I think the light part of the wall may be just a touch over exposed, only down in the corner where it meets the shadow. 8
22 Ugh, The Bishop's Farted - Nice use of DOF, but I can't seem to find the piece of the photo which is in focus. It should be the eyes (preferably of the knight), but it seems to be somewhere in between the front pawn and the knight. 5
23 Your Move - Nice pic, and good interpretation. 6.5
24 Fate of the Enemy - Great interpretation and very nice composition. I'd have cropped it a little at the bottom to get rid of the white stripe. 8

As for mine, some people have asked how I achieved 1.e4. It was pretty simple really. I just set up my tripod at around the height of the board, wrapped a yoga mat around as a backdrop, turned the pawns 45degrees to the side, set the aperture to 5.6, focussed on the eyes of the e4 pawn, and snapped away.

DdV and pinkthunder, the chess set is an Incan set I bought in La Paz, Bolivia. The pieces are 10% silver, and I bought it and posted it home for a total price of about $40. Sweeeet.

To be honest, I thought I had a winning photo in Regicide before the round opened. I thought the bishop in the background looked really sinister and shadowy, holding what could be a knife in his left hand. I thought the lighting was good, and I thought the expressions on the faces of the pieces brought them to life somewhat. So, I'd like to hear peoples comments/criticisms of it. I've tried the crop that Tirau recommended, it doesn't improve the photo greatly, I don't think, but cheers for the comment.

[EDIT] Sorry for a lot of the low scores. I'm trying to be honest, not mean. πŸ™‚

D

P

Moves
25 Mar 06

Originally posted by rbmorris
Thanks. πŸ™‚ I think I sort of agree with you on both points. The first point, is definitely a good one. No argument there. I also agree that it would have been nicer to see more of the knights and bishops. It actually occurred to me to turn the knights to the side a little. Then, I thought about it and decided to leave them as is. The reason was that ...[text shortened]... that was a very cool shot! I'd be interested to see how you got it to turn out like that.
Mr. I was bored so i decided to have a look at RHPfaces.

Your only picture in there, showed the evil you with fiery eyes.. and knights turned to the side!

Ha! gotchya!! πŸ˜‰

N

The sky

Moves
25 Mar 06

Originally posted by Ragnorak
21 Timebank Running - Very nice composition and great touch that it is your in progress game with Noodles.
Ha ha, I didn't even notice! How on earth did you notice? Or did he tell you?

N

The sky

Moves
25 Mar 06

8 Bons Vivants - I liked this much more than adjournment. The composition is good. The DOF is very pleasing to the eye. 7
Interesting, it was just the opposite for me. I thought "Adjournment" was a great composition. I especially loved the clear lines. "Bons Vivants" was nice, but didn't really do much for me.

10 Chess View - Interesting interpretation. I think I'd have much preferred it if the chess board took up all of the frame though. 4

I did some shots in which the chess board took up all or most of the frame, but I wasn't really happy with them. Maybe I'll post one of those later for comparison.

16 His Own Enemy - This one that was pushing for a place in my votes. Its good the way the reflection is darker(obviously), so it could be the opponents King. Nicely balanced. 7

It was one of my first pictures with my "new" camera, and really not much more than a snapshot without much of a plan. It was not until a while later, having looked at the picture for a while, that I came up with the idea of the "enemy within", noticing that the reflection looked like the black king.

Pinkthunder asked what wood the enemy were made of. I am afraid I don't know. My brother made the pieces when he was a teenager. The enemy is reflected in the wood of my piano, not sure what kind of wood that is either.

22 Ugh, The Bishop's Farted - Nice use of DOF, but I can't seem to find the piece of the photo which is in focus. It should be the eyes (preferably of the knight), but it seems to be somewhere in between the front pawn and the knight. 5

Maybe the focus is on the fart. πŸ˜‰ Actually, considering the title, I'd like to have the focus on the nostrils.

To be honest, I thought I had a winning photo in Regicide before the round opened. I thought the bishop in the background looked really sinister and shadowy, holding what could be a knife in his left hand. I thought the lighting was good, and I thought the expressions on the faces of the pieces brought them to life somewhat. So, I'd like to hear peoples comments/criticisms of it.

It's a good picture, but I felt that a lot of the credit would have to go to the maker of the set. But you also did a good job, especially with the lighting. So if it didn't come up higher on my list, it was more because there were several other good pictures than because it lacked something.

N

The sky

Moves
25 Mar 06

1 1.e4
2 Calm Reflections
3 Regicide
4 Adjournment - While I really appreciate the setting of this photo (and wouldn't mind a game there), the photo itself did nothing for me. 4/10
5 Analysis - The same with this one. Its a picture of some chess boards. That's it. 2
6 Arrrrghh - I don't get this at all. 2
7 Battlement Unity - At first glance, I th ...[text shortened]... ry for a lot of the low scores. I'm trying to be honest, not mean. πŸ™‚

D
Just curious - you have pictures with 6 or 6.5 points in your voting list, but two pictures with 7 points which didn't make it. Did you change your mind later, or do you have criteria for voting which don't come into your scoring system?

P

Moves
25 Mar 06

Dear Nordlys,

Has the Blue Faith Whale decide on the next photography competition..?
Dates, topic, and all package..?

Kind regards,

Peach.

N

The sky

Moves
25 Mar 06

Originally posted by Peachy
Dear Nordlys,

Has the Blue Faith Whale decide on the next photography competition..?
Dates, topic, and all package..?

Kind regards,

Peach.
As stated in the first post in this thread, the next topics are:

13. Still Life (an arrangement of inanimate objects)
14. Extended Exposure
15. Movement/Motion
16. Home (can be in your home, or just in the locality that you would regard as home)
17. Words
18. Advanced Editing

The Faith Whale hasn't decided on dates and all package yet, but it will probably be something like two weeks to the opening of the next round (maybe longer if people need more time).

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
25 Mar 06

Originally posted by Nordlys
Just curious - you have pictures with 6 or 6.5 points in your voting list, but two pictures with 7 points which didn't make it. Did you change your mind later, or do you have criteria for voting which don't come into your scoring system?
You don't miss a beat, do you? πŸ˜‰ I tried to avoid doing that, but it happened.

I counted 10 photos before voting that I thought had merit... 7, 8, 12, 13, 16, 18, 19, 21, 23 and 24.

In truth, I think I voted a bit too early as the bottom couple of places could have been filled by any of 4 pictures. His Own Enemy only really grew on me in the past couple of days. And I felt that Royalty didn't deserve a vote over the other 2 pics, but when I was looking at it again, I was imagining it looking very well in a black frame on a wall somewhere. As I say, it was all very close.

How about we see your ratings? You'll see how difficult it is.

D