RHP Photography Competition: CHESS

RHP Photography Competition: CHESS

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
24 Mar 06
2 edits

Originally posted by Nordlys
Voting closes in about five hours. If you haven't voted yet, hurry up and do so, or you'll regret for the rest of your life that you didn't vote in one of the finest rounds of the RHP Photography Competition.
Its good to see the cheerleading classes are paying off.

Give me a V!

D

[EDIT] Please note the exclamation mark and new line between the V and the D. [EDIT2] It gets more important the more I read it.

N

The sky

Moves
24 Mar 06

Originally posted by Ragnorak
Its good to see the cheerleading classes are paying off.

Give me a V!

D

[EDIT] Please note the exclamation mark and new line between the V and the D.
Give me an O!

K

N

The sky

Moves
24 Mar 06

Give me an O!

K
Give me a T!

(1 1/2 hours left)

N

The sky

Moves
24 Mar 06

Give me an E!

(Half an hour to go)

P

Moves
24 Mar 06

Give me an E!

(Half an hour to go)
Tell
Us
Now

πŸ™‚

N

The sky

Moves
24 Mar 06

Originally posted by Peachy
[b]Tell
Us
Now

πŸ™‚[/b]
Paaatience!

N

The sky

Moves
24 Mar 06
1 edit

Once again, we have a very clear winner. Congratulations, rbmorris! And congratulations, DdV, on a convincing second place! I am rather surprised that I made the third place myself (snatching it away from Dan πŸ˜‰ ).

1 18. Royal Perspective (rbmorris) 123
2 21. Timebank Running (DdV) 92
3 16. His Own Enemy (Nordwhale) 71
4 7. Battlement Unity (Tirau Dan) 70
5 24. Fate of the Enemy (ictoan) 51
6 4. Adjournment (Gatecrasher) 47
7 1. 1.e4 (Regneark) 45
8 14. Good vs Evil (Gatecrasher) 43
9 13. Foreshadowing Mate (pinkthunder) 42
10 8. Bons Vivants (Gatecrasher) 41
11 3. Regicide (Regneark) 40
12 12. En Passant (Niallone) 31
13 15. KnightHawk (Niallone) 31
14 23. Your Move (Niallone) 29
15 2. Calm Reflections (Regneark) 12
16 20. Taking Lessons (lioness) 12
17 10. Chess View (Nordwhale) 9
18 19. Royalty (DdV) 6
19 22. Ugh, The Bishop's Farted (Tirau Dan) 6
20 6. Arrrrghh (Tirau Dan) 3
21 5. Analysis (lioness) 2
22 9. Closeup (essjaynz) 1
23 11. Outdoors (essjaynz) 0
24 17. Playing on RHP (lioness) 0

P

Moves
24 Mar 06

Once again, we have a very clear winner. Congratulations, rbmorris! And congratulations, DdV, on a convincing second place! I am rather surprised that I made the third place myself (snatching it away from Dan πŸ˜‰ ).

4 7. Battlement Unity (Tirau Dan) ...[text shortened]... 2
Here is the link again you lazy people;

http://www.katja.klee24.de/TFC/Chess/Chess.html

Nice one Nordlys. Congrats to all.

Vampyroteuthis

Infernalis

Moves
24 Mar 06

4 7. Battlement Unity (Tirau Dan) ...[text shortened]... 2
Thanks for your votes everybody, and thanks again to NerdWhale for putting this together. It was a lot of fun. There were lots of great entries in this one. It was sort of difficult coming up with an idea for a chess-related theme (at least I thought so), but I think everyone showed a lot of creativity. This round definitely gave me some great ideas for shots I'd like to try on my own. I'm looking forward to the next one!

b

San Diego

Moves
24 Mar 06

Hey, I got a trifecta! πŸ˜€ What do I win?

Congratulations rbmorris! And everyone else, really--this was a good round.

P

Moves
24 Mar 06

Originally posted by rbmorris
Thanks for your votes everybody, and thanks again to NerdWhale for putting this together. It was a lot of fun. There were lots of great entries in this one. It was sort of difficult coming up with an idea for a chess-related theme (at least I thought so), but I think everyone showed a lot of creativity. This round definitely gave me some great ideas for shots I'd like to try on my own. I'm looking forward to the next one!
This is the nicest post I've seen from you evil monkey.

Very well done.
(for winning the competition tooπŸ˜‰)

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
24 Mar 06
1 edit

4 7. Battlement Unity (Tirau Dan) 2
Congrats Rb.

I have a couple of comments I wanted to make about "Royal Perspective", but I decided to refrain until the end of voting as they focus on the negatives of a good picture.

I think the pic could have been made better if you lined up the centre line on the board, with the black bar on the wall. I think it would have suited the symmetry of the photo very well.

Also, I think its a sin that the knights are turned the way they are. We can see absolutely no detail of them, whereas if they were facing sideways we'd have been able to see all the details. To a much lesser extent, I also think the pic could have been made better if the bishops were also turned to show the detail (the slit at the top).

Well done again.

I'd like to congratulate Niallone, as a non-chess enthusiast, on his efforts. "En passant", and "your move" were great interpretations, IMO.

As for my own pics, I think the in-focus King confused "1.e4" and prevented it getting more votes. I didn't like it myself, but initially didn't fancy the tighter crop, as I thought it made the photo more confusing (and I also wanted all the nearest pawn included). Here's another version of that shot with the tighter crop and upped contrast...http://static.flickr.com/41/115309600_b48c0b267b.jpg I think it works much better.

This was one of my favourite rounds so far. Thanks Noodles.

D

Vampyroteuthis

Infernalis

Moves
24 Mar 06

Originally posted by Ragnorak
Congrats Rb.

I have a couple of comments I wanted to make about "Royal Perspective", but I decided to refrain until the end of voting as they focus on the negatives of a good picture.

I think the pic could have been made better if you lined up the centre line on the board, with the black bar on the wall. I think it would have suited the symmetry of t ...[text shortened]... s much better.

This was one of my favourite rounds so far. Thanks Noodles.

D
Thanks. πŸ™‚ I think I sort of agree with you on both points. The first point, is definitely a good one. No argument there. I also agree that it would have been nicer to see more of the knights and bishops. It actually occurred to me to turn the knights to the side a little. Then, I thought about it and decided to leave them as is. The reason was that I never set up a chess board with the knights facing to the side. I always have them facing forward. It's too bad though. I like the knights in my set. It's a tough call either way.

By the way, I really liked "e4" the way it was. I thought that was a very cool shot! I'd be interested to see how you got it to turn out like that.

p

Parallel Universe

Moves
24 Mar 06
1 edit

Congratulations, rbmorris! I agree with other posters; this was a creative round. I wouldn't have thought of most of those shots.

I wanted to create something using the chess board, but I've seen *so* many shots of a chess board, that I thought it would take something unusual to do well. How many different ways can you portray a chess set, anyway (was my thinking)? So, I focused on the shadows instead of the pieces. The pic was an old one of mine (it's an old plastic chess set), taken with black and white film (400 ISO for more contrast) and scanned--poorly. I touched it up with contrast in PhotoShop, even though I used a screw-on number 11 yellow filter on the lens to "whiten" the yellowish top of the table/background and make the shadows more pronounced. I thought it turned out well.

I need to say, again, Timebank Running is a fantastic shot. *Excellent* photo, DDV. I'd also like to say that as the competition went on, more photos grew on me. Your comments made me see them differently and appreciate them in a different way. I think next time I'll wait until the later stages to vote.

Thanks for running the contest and all your work, Nordlys. Much obliged!

p

Parallel Universe

Moves
24 Mar 06

How interpretive can we be on the next round?