RHP Photography Competition: CHESS

RHP Photography Competition: CHESS

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

N

The sky

Moves
19 Mar 06

Originally posted by pinkthunder
Also, if we had a longer list of subjects/categories for competition, then we could start getting shots in mind ahead of time. This would hopefully shorten the voting period so we could have more competitions and share more photos more frequently. Thoughts?
Well, currently the next six categories have been announced. I think that should give people plenty of time. As for having more competitions, I am afraid it would probably be too much work for me. But if someone else would like to do some additional rounds in between, please go ahead. And of course people could share pictures outside the competition, too.

p

Parallel Universe

Moves
19 Mar 06

Originally posted by Nordlys
Well, currently the next six categories have been announced. I think that should give people plenty of time. As for having more competitions, I am afraid it would probably be too much work for me. But if someone else would like to do some additional rounds in between, please go ahead. And of course people could share pictures outside the competition, too.
You're right, Nordlys: 6 more categories give people plenty of time. Also, the fact that these competitions don't just happen, easily slipped my mind. I forgot how much work it is. Again, thank you for your efforts.

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
20 Mar 06

Originally posted by Nordlys
Do you mean you couldn't handle faster rounds, or you won't be able to handle any more rounds after the scheduled few remaining? If the former, no worries, I think we're better off taking our time and giving people a chance to take pics. If the latter, maybe it would be time to take on an apprentice now? I'm hoping you meant the former.

I've been thinking about how things could be made easier for the person running the comp...

JAlbum (http://jalbum.net/) is a great piece of free software for making the webpages automatically. It can also batch resize the photos for you, and the appearence of the websize is great and hugely customisable.

As for recording the voting, are there any Access guru's out there? At present it is (well it was the last time I saw it) a simple spreadsheet, with the number and name of the photo on the left, and the voters names going across the top, with their votes underneath. I'm thinking an access solution would be better, with the Name of the Photo and Name of Photographer and score stored in a table, with a form based on this table which shows the list of photos with buttons longside for awarding 10, 8, 6, 5, 4, etc points to that picture. Or better yet, have some way to copy the posted vote into access, and let it calculate automatically.

This score keeping was what I found most time consuming when I was running the comp, and a lot of the strain of running the comp would be removed if somebody could make the system more automated.

D

p

Parallel Universe

Moves
20 Mar 06

Well, I have the solution. It's totally automated. The only thing is, it will take the reins away from Nordlys, which is something I'm uncomfortable with. I have my own Linux server and domain on the Web. I have my own photo albums online, too...I just didn't know I could setup a voting mechanism. Everyone uploads their own photos (they're automatically re-sized), and scoring is automatic, too. I've just setup a test competition. If this is something we would like to go with, please let me know. I can give you instructions on how to access the test site if you send me a pm. I'm not going to post it here. I'm not comfortable just taking this away, but for total automation, I have a solution.

N

The sky

Moves
20 Mar 06

Originally posted by Ragnorak
Do you mean you couldn't handle faster rounds, or you won't be able to handle any more rounds after the scheduled few remaining?
I meant I couldn't handle faster or overlapping rounds, as that's what I thought pinkthunder was asking for. I don't mind continuing like before.

N

The sky

Moves
20 Mar 06

Well, I have the solution. It's totally automated. The only thing is, it will take the reins away from Nordlys, which is something I'm uncomfortable with. I have my own Linux server and domain on the Web. I have my own photo albums online, too...I just didn't know I could setup a voting mechanism. Everyone uploads their own photos (they're automatically ...[text shortened]... . I'm not comfortable just taking this away, but for total automation, I have a solution.
That sounds interesting. I would like to have a look at the test site.

p

Parallel Universe

Moves
20 Mar 06

If we decide my server is what you'd like to use, then that's fine. I would, however, like to just provide the technology. I'd like Noodles to continue deciding on the topics, saying when they start and stop, etc., etc.

THere is one drawback to my site: the automatic voting is that--automatic and live. There are no surprises which picture is in the lead. There is a bright-red graph indicating the top 8 vote-getters. (I've weighted them the same as Noodles: 10, 8, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2 , or 1 points for 1st through 8th places). The only surprise at the end will be when the photographers say which pictures are theirs.

r
Ginger Scum

Paranoia

Moves
20 Mar 06
1 edit

As for recording the voting, are there any Access guru's out there? At present it is (well it was the last time I saw it) a simple spreadsheet, with the number and name of the photo on the left, and the voters names going across the top, with their votes underneath. I'm thinking an access solution would be better, with the Name of the Photo and Name of Ph ...[text shortened]... yet, have some way to copy the posted vote into access, and let it calculate automatically.
Surely you don't need Access to total the results from the data - just a lesson in the ways of data sorting, the SUM function and/or the Pivot Table?

Edit: If you want you can send me a sheet with data in I'll tinker and show you what I mean. Note - This may all be superseeded by the above post about live voting though.

r
Ginger Scum

Paranoia

Moves
20 Mar 06

If we decide my server is what you'd like to use, then that's fine. I would, however, like to just provide the technology. I'd like Noodles to continue deciding on the topics, saying when they start and stop, etc., etc.

THere is one drawback to my site: the automatic voting is that--automatic and live. There are no surprises which picture is in the le ...[text shortened]... . The only surprise at the end will be when the photographers say which pictures are theirs.
For anyone with the patience to track the voting in it's current format, the only surprise at the end is who took which picture, so there is no real change then 🙂

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
21 Mar 06

Originally posted by rhb
For anyone with the patience to track the voting in it's current format, the only surprise at the end is who took which picture, so there is no real change then 🙂
bump for Freddie.

D

N

The sky

Moves
22 Mar 06

bump for Freddie.

D
Bump for everybody who hasn't voted yet. Voting will close on Friday 20 UT.

Vampyroteuthis

Infernalis

Moves
23 Mar 06

Bump...and a vote!

1. Battlement Unity
2. KnightHawk
3. e4
4. Timebank Running
5. His Own Enemy
6. Adjornment
7. Bons Vivants
8. Regicide

I really liked the colors in Battlement Unity, although I might have arranged the pieces differently. Great shot though!

As a fan of Edward Hopper, I had to vote for Knighthawk. I thought this one was very creative.

The lighting in e4 was great. I thought it was kind of cool how only one piece was in focus.

Again, the lighting in Timebank Running was great.

His Own Enemy was a great interesting/creative shot. I only wish the king was a little less ragged.

Adjornment almost didn't make it in my top 8. Then, my 8 year old son pointed out that the sharp contrast between the inside and outside of the house could symbolize the black and white pieces. I'm not sure if that's where you were going with this, but I liked the idea.

Bons Vivants combined a lot of my favorite things in one shot. I also really liked the set up and the camera angle.

I loved the sinister look of Regicide. The lighting was great--especially the half-lit king.

F
9 Edits

London

Moves
24 Mar 06

1st - 10 pts - Timebank Running
2nd - 8 pts - 1. e4
3rd - 6 pts - His Own Enemy
4th - 5 pts - Adjournment
5th - 4 pts - Battlement Unity
6th - 3 pts - Regicide
7th - 2 pts - Bon Vivants
8th - 1 pt - Foreshadowing Mate

b

San Diego

Moves
24 Mar 06

1st - 10 pts - 18. Royal Perspective
2nd - 8 pts - 21. Timebank Running
3rd - 6 pts - 15. His Own Enemy
4th - 5 pts - 16. KnightHawk
5th - 4 pts - 23. Your Move
6th - 3 pts - 7. Battlement Unity
7th - 2 pts - 12. En Passant
8th - 1 pt - 3. Regicide

18. Royal Perspective Nice framing, and great composition. I particularly like the background.
21. Timebank Running Outstanding composition
15. His Own Enemy I like the simplicity--very elegant
16. KnightHawk A bit of camera shake, but the addition of the painting really grabs the viewer
23. Your Move Original take on the theme, and I like the graininess
7. Battlement Unity Cute! :-)
12. En Passant Another original take on the theme.
3. Regicide Very effective lighting

N

The sky

Moves
24 Mar 06

Voting closes in about five hours. If you haven't voted yet, hurry up and do so, or you'll regret for the rest of your life that you didn't vote in one of the finest rounds of the RHP Photography Competition.