1. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    25 Mar '20 14:291 edit
    @rookie54 said
    i am not going to tell you anything you do not know
    marriage is a contract
    perhaps now i will tell you something for yer edification
    the courts are involved because property, both real and virtual, children, healthcare and related decisions, and even social standing is affected by the separation of interests

lawyers do not need to be involved unless there are legal complications and considerations
    See, that is where one of the major flaws in marriage lies, mixing of assets.

Just live together with no obligations. Perhaps agree to split some bills while you live together, but no more than that.

When you are ready to move on, move on.

Kids? No different than what would happen with one night stands. Be responsible and do not have kids if she can't afford them.
  2. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    25 Mar '20 14:29
    @eladar said
    Prenup? You really like paying lawyers.
    Better a little in the beginning than much more at the end! Do you know how long the average marriage lasts? If not look it up!

-VR
  3. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    25 Mar '20 14:31
    @very-rusty said
    Better a little in the beginning than much more at the end! Do you know how long the average marriage lasts? If not look it up!

-VR
    Better not getting married with no promises of long term relationship. Just together when both want to be together.
  4. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    25 Mar '20 14:33
    @very-rusty said

-VR
    8.2 years in the US
  5. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    25 Mar '20 14:34
    @eladar said
    Better not getting married with no promises of long term relationship. Just together when both want to be together.
    To each his own, some believe in marriage others don't everyone has their choice, but make sure if you get married you have a prenup if you don't get married you don't have to be overly concerned, except she still could wind up with half your stuff or you with half her stuff depending on who has the most valuable stuff.

-VR
  6. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    25 Mar '20 14:37
    @Very-Rusty

Anyone can sue another person for anything. Be careful, do not make kids and you limit your liability.
  7. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    25 Mar '20 14:39
    @eladar said
    @Very-Rusty

Anyone can sue another person for anything. Be careful, do not make kids and you limit your liability.
    Strange you would look at children as a liability, does say something about you though.

-VR
  8. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    25 Mar '20 14:45
    @very-rusty said
    Strange you would look at children as a liability, does say something about you though.

-VR
    Says something about our society.

8.2 years and the kids are hers and you are stuck footing the bill, if you are responsible.

Of course if you are like others you just always look for the next girl.

8.2 years of your life is marriage these days. Most of the time it is the woman who divorces. Guys are stuck paying for it while she has the kids. At least that is the usual result.
  9. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    25 Mar '20 14:51
    @eladar said
    Says something about our society.

8.2 years and the kids are hers and you are stuck footing the bill, if you are responsible.

Of course if you are like others you just always look for the next girl.

8.2 years of your life is marriage these days. Most of the time it is the woman who divorces. Guys are stuck paying for it while she has the kids. At least that is the usual result.
    All you've done is provided good reasons for a prenup!

-VR
  10. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    25 Mar '20 14:52
    @very-rusty said
    All you've done is provided good reasons for a prenup!

-VR
    Why get married at all?
  11. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    25 Mar '20 14:581 edit
    @eladar said
    Why get married at all?
    Like I said that is your choice, but after you are together for so long half of everything is hers. A prenup says who will get what in advance and most of the time you will be able to keep what ever you had before the marriage for sure. So even if you don't get married there still could be legal responsibilities for you.

EDIT: Of course I am talking about my Province that I live in....I am sure it is different in different countries for sure.

-VR
  12. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    25 Mar '20 15:012 edits
    @very-rusty said
    Like I said that is your choice, but after you are together for so long half of everything is hers. A prenup says who will get what in advance and most of the time you will be able to keep what ever you had before the marriage for sure. So even if you don't get married there still could be legal responsibilities for you.

EDIT: Of course I am talking about my Province that I live in....I am sure it is different in different countries for sure.

-VR
    So make sure you move out or kick her out before she can claim half your money. That is if you are a man of means. But if you are a man of means then a similar contract of a prenup could be used if not married.
  13. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    25 Mar '20 15:14
    @Very-Rusty

By the way, you still have not explained why a guy should get married and not simply shack up for a time.
  14. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    25 Mar '20 15:32
    @eladar said
    @Very-Rusty

By the way, you still have not explained why a guy should get married and not simply shack up for a time.
    That is because I already told you this is the persons choice. Are you sure I am married? Would really matter one way or the other except legally and what can happen in a break up if you don't have prenup done rather you are married or not.

Perhaps you have different laws in your Country. I don't know.

-VR
  15. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    25 Mar '20 15:381 edit
    @Very-Rusty

So, no reason to get married other than you want to.

With each generation fewer and fewer guys get married. Most who do get married do so because they think they are supposed to do it.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree