What are you listening to?

What are you listening to?

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

j

Leeds, England

Moves
24 Jun 18

Originally posted by @apathist
My kid showed me rag and bone man.
Bit of a one song wonder in my opinion. Nothing else on his album is anywhere near close to Human

Aficionado of Prawns

Texas

Moves
26 Jun 18

Gothenburg

Moves
27 Jun 18

Both Sides Now by Paul Young & Clannad

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
28 Jun 18
2 edits

Originally posted by @torunn
Both Sides Now by Paul Young & Clannad

[youtube]Y94g8bPG2uI[/youtube]
That reminded me of the time Clannad played McCabes Guitar center in Santa Monica, (my band Southwind played there 7 times) so the bathroom is just offstage to the left of the audience and the whole band was a bit snokkered, one of them went off stage to the bathroom and in the middle of the next song the toilet flushed very loudly, the audience died laughing, he sheepishly went back on stage, a good time was had by all that night🙂

That is a very good version of Joni Mitchell's Both Sides Now, a deep retrospective song as are a lot of her songs, a true genius.

Here is Joni, live in London, 1983, Free man in Paris, a great song

Gothenburg

Moves
28 Jun 18
1 edit

Originally posted by @sonhouse
That reminded me of the time Clannad played McCabes Guitar center in Santa Monica, (my band Southwind played there 7 times) so the bathroom is just offstage to the left of the audience and the whole band was a bit snokkered, one of them went off stage to the bathroom and in the middle of the next song the toilet flushed very loudly, the audience died laughing, he sheepishly went back on stage, a good time was had by all that night🙂
🙂 Very funny.

I love the lyrics of 'Both sides now', they are about how I feel too - the older I get, the less I understand.

Moves
28 Jun 18
1 edit

That reminded me of the time Clannad played McCabes Guitar center in Santa Monica, (my band Southwind played there 7 times) so the bathroom is just offstage to the left of the audience and the whole band was a bit snokkered, one of them went off stage to the bathroom and in the middle of the next song the toilet flushed very loudly, the audience died laugh ...[text shortened]... Joni, live in London, 1983, Free man in Paris, a great song

[youtube]2hcXdtqojFg[/youtube]
I am a Joni Mitchell fan as well Sonhouse. I've always regarded her as a female counter-balance of Bob Dylan. A splendid set of poetic bookends to our 1960's generation.

I truly enjoyed that reboot version Torunn. It's a kind of "Both Sides Now - Adagio".
I have similar sentiments, especially regarding generational bewilderment and aging.

Aficionado of Prawns

Texas

Moves
28 Jun 18

Originally posted by @wolfe63
I am a Joni Mitchell fan as well Sonhouse. I've always regarded her as a female counter-balance of Bob Dylan.
I hate 'em both. AND I hate anyone who likes 'em. 😛

Gothenburg

Moves
28 Jun 18

Originally posted by @tom-wolsey
I hate 'em both. AND I hate anyone who likes 'em. 😛
Hate...?

Aficionado of Prawns

Texas

Moves
28 Jun 18

Originally posted by @torunn
Hate...?
Yep. Pretty much.

😏

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
29 Jun 18
6 edits

Originally posted by @tom-wolsey
Yep. Pretty much.

😏
So you must REALLY hate that Bobby Zimmerman won the Nobel prize in literature AND an Oscar.
Let me guess, you are a millenial, 40 ish? So you would not have even been born when Dylan, Joni, Judy, and Joan shook the world of music. So if you were not there in say 1962 you are not capable of judging them or the times they lived through. For instance, I assume you HATE the fact Joan Baez marched with King.

You also must HATE songs like 'Red baiters and Race Haters ain't gonna runmy world' from 'Playboys and Playgirls ain't gonna run my world."

Dylan.
or Both sides now, from Joni

or Diamonds and Rust, Joan Baez

or Big yellow taxi by Joni.

I assume you have little interest in music in general unless it is head banger stuff and I bet you know nothing about playing music or playing guitar and such either, right?

I also assume you hate those people because you figure all they sang was Kumbaya and Amazing Grace.

Thing is, they wrote and and sang songs with real life in them, songs that are still listened to 50 years later.

How long into the future do you think your favorite head bangers will be listened to?

People like Pete Seeger, Peggy Seeger, Joan Baez, Joni Mitchell, Bob Dylan, Doc Watson, Rev. Gary Davis, Carolyn Hester, John Jackson and MANY more sang about real life not some faked up studio requiring 20 backup singers, 2 drummers and a synth and bass and 20 tons of equipment set up a day in advance to do a concert.

Folkies from the 60's and such just needed a guitar or dulcimer, maybe fiddle but nothing more needed to give voice to actual life.

Like Buffy Ste. Marie, a Cree Native American genius songwriter with songs like 'Now that the Buffalo is gone' You don't get much more life in a song than that.

And that just counts a tiny fraction of AMERICANS into folk music.

There are Swedish folk singers writing about life there, or British singer songwriters like Sandy Denny or Bert Jansch or Ralph McTell or Jacqui McShee or Rolf Harris and dozens like them.
For instance, Richard Thompson, Vincent Black Lightning 1952, it could be a movie. And notice how many back up singers and drummers there are on that song.
It is a world you never inhabited so you are not qualified to judge them.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
05 Jul 18
6 edits

Winner, young trad, 2018! Hannah Rarity!

Another prodigy, Ryan Young, finalist same competition:

incredible young fiddler!

Another prodigy, Paddy Callaghan!

Shades of Sharon Shannon and Phil Cunningham (Silly Wizard)

Irish school choir led by a very young Kaylee Rogers, Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah

Here she is, age 11, found by 'Little Big Shots' TV show, same song singing with Penatonix:

Moves
05 Jul 18

So you must REALLY hate that Bobby Zimmerman won the Nobel prize in literature AND an Oscar.
Let me guess, you are a millenial, 40 ish?
I understand that to you baby-boomers, everyone who isn't arthritic and misty-eyed is a young'un who doesn't know that he's born, but if you think that millennials are 40-ish, you're a couple of decades behind the times, grandaddy-oh.

By the way, yes, I am ticked off that the screeching, whining, barely musical wannabe-rebel that Dylan is won the Nobel prize, when a real poet like Leonard Cohen remained completely overlooked.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
05 Jul 18
1 edit

Originally posted by @shallow-blue
I understand that to you baby-boomers, everyone who isn't arthritic and misty-eyed is a young'un who doesn't know that he's born, but if you think that millennials are 40-ish, you're a couple of decades behind the times, grandaddy-oh.

By the way, yes, I am ticked off that the screeching, whining, barely musical wannabe-rebel that Dylan is won the Nobel prize, when a real poet like Leonard Cohen remained completely overlooked.
Well at least you KNOW about Leonard Cohen. He is certainly a genius. But my main point is you don't know about the OTHER genius singer songwriters or ignore their contributions and if you had looked at the youtube posts I just posted, they are all very young, showing folk music is alive and well.

BTW, one of the links in my previous post in fact WAS about Cohen, sung by a very young girl in Ireland. But hey, I'm just an old fart who knows nothing right?

Also, did you even bother to watch the link to Richard Thompson, Vincent Black Lightning 1952? Or is he just one of the old farts not worth listening to?

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
15 Jul 18
2 edits

Well at least you KNOW about Leonard Cohen. He is certainly a genius. But my main point is you don't know about the OTHER genius singer songwriters or ignore their contributions and if you had looked at the youtube posts I just posted, they are all very young, showing folk music is alive and well.

BTW, one of the links in my previous post in fact WAS a ...[text shortened]... mpson, Vincent Black Lightning 1952? Or is he just one of the old farts not worth listening to?
Speaking of the great Leonard Cohen, here is a classical guitar duo, Stephanie Jones and Jacob Schmidt, youngsters from Australia doing Cohen "Hallelujiah"

Very impressive for kids so young or old!

This is a magnificent homage to Leonard Cohen!

Gothenburg

Moves
15 Jul 18

Speaking of the great Leonard Cohen, here is a classical guitar duo, Stephanie Jones and Jacob Schmidt, youngsters from Australia doing Cohen "Hallelujiah"

Very impressive for kids so young or old!

[youtube]jJYpcaSMXEs[/youtube]

This is a magnificent homage to Leonard Cohen!
Very nice!