1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    05 Aug '18 20:541 edit
    Just found out about a great Venezuelan virtuoso guitarist and composer, here is a piece by a young lady, Carlina Flores playing one of his pieces:

YouTube

And this, also a study composed by Silva:

YouTube

She is a really good guitarist in her own right!
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    05 Aug '18 21:08
    Oh my, another great lady guitarist: Isabella Selder here playing a bagatelle of William Walton:

YouTube
  3. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    05 Aug '18 22:27
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    07 Aug '18 10:28
    I liked him when it was the Tedeschi Trucks band:

YouTube
  5. Standard memberTom Wolsey
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Texas
    Moves
    08 Aug '18 02:291 edit
    Originally posted by @sonhouse
    Tom, you said you 'hate' Dylan and Joni Mitchell which you are totally entitled to your opinion but is there ANY folk music you like? Who would you put up here to show any appreciation for music from the common folk? The ones who don't need stadium electronics to show off their music, just a guitar or mandolin or fiddle and such, instrumentals or vocals?
    So if I don't like folk rock, I hate the commoners? [eye roll]

YouTube : Getting Even

Most of the music I like is produced in Europe on shoe-string budgets. One of my favorite singers of all time quit the music biz and took a job managing a small retail shop in the Netherlands. I'm all about the common folk.
  6. Standard memberTom Wolsey
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Texas
    Moves
    08 Aug '18 02:39
    More music from a small, unknown band.

YouTube : Amazing Meet Project
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    08 Aug '18 06:47
    Originally posted by @tom-wolsey
    More music from a small, unknown band.

[youtube Amazing Meet Project]IIbAsO8rOrk[/youtube]
    Kind of a 'we will, we will rock you' kind of vibe understated though.
    If I put up common folk playing what would be your reaction? I know a lot of great musicians, and I play myself, I have 66 tracks, over 40 originals for solo acoustic guitar, mandolin, dulcimer and keyboards and my wife has some nice songs onstage and recorded in our flat in Jerusalem with some great singers there, wonder if you listen much to acoustic instrumentals much or do you mainly listen to electric bands? There are some jaw dropping acoustic virtuoso's out there totally unheard of by the general public which is part of the charm of folk music, you go to someone's house, sit on the front porch and listen to a totally unknown genius playing guitar or fiddle or whatever and you just go OMG, and realize you are one of the very few to have ever been lucky enough to have heard of that person.
    One total unknown was a guy who became my guitar teach, Mike Stewart, AKA Backwards Sam Firk, he and Stephan Michaelson AKA Delta X, recorded on Adelphi Records owned by a buddy of mine, Gene Rosenthal.
    I used to live in Alexandria Virginia in the old town district a few blocks from the river and I found out just a couple blocks away was the Alexandria Folklore center, great hangout for folkies like me.
    So I asked them one day if they needed a guitar teach, they said yes, come in Saturday and we can talk.
    I go in Saturday, guitar in hand, king of the world, hot shot guitarist that I was (well what I THOUGHT I was🙂 and talked to the manager, he said we got Mike Stewart instead. I go who is that? He says You don't know about Mike Stewart, Backwards Sam Firk? I go No, he goes Boy are you in for a surprise! I say so where is he, He is in the third teaching booth down on the left.
    So I go over and introduce myself and we get to talking and he plays a couple of pieces and my jaw drops about 2 feet, and I went instantly from being potential teacher to actual student and stayed with him for a couple of years, when I got laid off from the Apollo tech job I had at Goddard Space Flight Center, we, gf and I, drifted back west to my parents house in Escondido.
    But Firk and Delta X still are with me, even though Firk is gone now, died in 2004 of massive heart attack. Stephan is still around, he has a Phd in economics and has a CD with a trio of like folks singing songs about money and such and his great guitar playing.
    I had a self produced CD ready to send to Firk when I found out from Joe Bussard (Fonotone records) that he had died. I was a bit devastated to hear of Mike's death. And his wife, Carol, Gene's sister who died at age of 28 of also a massive heart attack, I still grieve them both.

I love having played music with some of the greats of folk, Pete Seeger, Libba Cotton, Rev. Gary Davis, Sam Mcgee, Firk, Delta X, Tom Hoskins (Fang), Fang and Firk are the ones who went to Avalon Mississippi and found Mississippi John hurt, got him out of retirement and back to Maryland where he lived at Firk's place for 3 months and then hit the folk circuit and had a great 5 years before he too died.
    Those are the kind of common folk I talk about but uncommonly strong musicians.
  8. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    12 Aug '18 01:24
    Korngold Violin Concerto

YouTube
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    12 Aug '18 05:06
    An old band mate, Sara Grey and her band 'Lost Nation Band" playing on a sidewalk in Lithuania, really nice American folk music. She was in our band in Arizona long time ago, Sugarloaf mountain String band:

YouTube
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    17 Aug '18 22:20
    Originally posted by @sonhouse
    An old band mate, Sara Grey and her band 'Lost Nation Band" playing on a sidewalk in Lithuania, really nice American folk music. She was in our band in Arizona long time ago, Sugarloaf mountain String band:

[youtube]_jttDilksnI[/youtube]
    Tommy Emmanuel teaches a D6 tuning on acoustic guitar:

YouTube
  11. Gothenburg
    Moves
    18 Aug '18 08:15
    Originally posted by @handyandy
    Korngold Violin Concerto

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pvm8PLYIizc
    Beautiful music, fascinating performance.
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    18 Aug '18 17:23
    Originally posted by @torunn
    Beautiful music, fascinating performance.
    I'll second that. Glad to have found a virtuoso I did not know about.
  13. Gothenburg
    Moves
    20 Aug '18 09:57
    This is good music:

YouTube

Kenny Ball And His Jazzmen
  14. Gothenburg
    Moves
    23 Aug '18 21:36
    YouTube

Donny Hathaway - A Song For You (1945 - 1979)
  15. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    27 Aug '18 18:42
    Originally posted by @torunn
    [youtube]pSnmNaCk53M[/youtube]

Donny Hathaway - A Song For You (1945 - 1979)
    When I first heard that song I thought it was a woman singing but then I noticed the Donny🙂
    Which is what my sister and mom call me to this day. His bio says he jumped out of a 15th story window, ruled suicide. Roberta Flack was his friend and was devastated over his death.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree