Corus Chess 2010 .....

Corus Chess 2010 .....

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pp

Moves
24 Jan 10
3 edits

Originally posted by wormwood
kramnik doesn't do much scary positions though, does he? and giving an attack to an attacking maniac seems like just that. he got away with it yesterday, but can he do it again?

already the 8.Rb1 seemed weird to me, the Ne4 exchange giving black the center, and if memory serves should be in black's favour. but I'm also sure both guys know leningrad much him playing leningrad and just devastating some poor guy I don't remember right now...)
kramnik doesn't do much scary positions though, does he? and giving an attack to an attacking maniac seems like just that. he got away with it yesterday, but can he do it again?

he was fine against topalov in the wc match, although he did miss a mate in 3 🙂

already the 8.Rb1 seemed weird to me, the Ne4 exchange giving black the center, and if memory serves should be in black's favour. but I'm also sure both guys know leningrad much better than I, so I guess I'll be learning something today. the second problem I have is Ng5 inviting h6, AND Nh3 inviting g5, which are all pawn moves black's gagging to make anyway. maybe it's all okay because black knight is still on b8? I don't know...

OK I don't know anything about the opening, maybe you're right, but my rybka says it's fine at the moment. I assume the position is ok because both have castled kingside and black lacks development, such pawn marches shouldn't be too dangerous. Of course without Rybka on my side, I don't know how I would evaluate the position myself. If I were white in that position against Nakamura, there's a good chance tears would be involved.

By the way, Carlsen sacrificed 3 pawns against Shirov and seems to be in a tough situation now, he probably had too much coffee or something!

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
24 Jan 10
2 edits

Originally posted by philidor position

he was fine against topalov in the wc match, although he did miss a mate in 3 🙂

already the 8.Rb1 seemed weird to me, the Ne4 exchange giving black the c seems to be in a tough situation now, he probably had too much coffee or something!
I've been studying and playing leningrad with both black and white for a couple of years now, but it's not like I had even the basics covered myself compared to these guys. and seeing the Big Boys doing something like this makes me question even the little I do understand. -haven't looked at it with an engine yet, and probably won't, but kramnik having used only 13min + increments tells me there's no way kramnik doesn't know what he's doing, so it must be at least equal so far.

but I still can't understand how.

I think the carlsen pawns are theory, right? at least the first two.

pp

Moves
24 Jan 10
2 edits

I've been studying and playing leningrad with both black and white for a couple of years now, but it's not like I had even the basics covered myself compared to these guys. and seeing the Big Boys doing something like this makes me question even the little I do understand. -haven't looked at it with an engine yet, and probably won't, but kramnik having used understand how.

I think the carlsen pawns are theory, right? at least the first two.
FWIW, an IM annotating the game found Nakamura's pawn expansion without development a little dubious, and said Rb1 was a typical move, trying to make the g2 bishop stronger (with threatening b4+ b5 etc).

Carlsen's pawn sacs weren't in my databases. Edit: OK actually all 3 pawns were theory.

rc

Moves
24 Jan 10
2 edits

wow Kramnik v Naka is a brilliant game, Naka just played Be6, not a very good move, shall Vlad find the combination? 24.Nxf4 Bxd5 25. Ng6+ Kg8 26. Kf8 Nxf8

wow Vlad saw it, awesome!

pp

Moves
24 Jan 10
1 edit

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
wow Kramnik v Naka is a brilliant game, Naka just played Be6, not a very good move, shall Vlad find the combination? 24.Nxf4 Bxd5 25. Ng6+ Kg8 26. Kf8 Nxf8

wow Vlad saw it, awesome!
I can't believe Nakamura missed something like that in no time trouble. He normally sees such things in like 0.34s.

Anyway, this will be a good lesson for those Kramnik hater Naka fanboys 🙂

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
24 Jan 10

:'( you big meanie!

rc

Moves
24 Jan 10
1 edit

I can't believe Nakamura missed something like that in no time trouble. He normally sees such things in like 0.34s.

i am glad that Vlad shall win this, and i can just about understand why (at least in my own mind), you may play aggressively against Vlad, but if you play too aggressively and do not treat him with enough respect he is very resilient and will come back at you. Naka is a big head, i hope he has learned his lesson this day! this is a victory for decency and common sense against the arrogance of teenage dirt bags!

pp

Moves
24 Jan 10
1 edit

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
i am glad that Vlad shall win this, and i can just about understand why (at least in my own mind), you may play aggressively against Vlad, but if you play too aggressively and do not treat him with enough respect he is very resilient and will come back at you. Naka is a big head, i hope he has learned his lesson this day! this is a victory for decency and common sense against the arrogance of teenage dirt bags!
LOL, I think Naka does have respect for Kramnik and Anand, he has said those two are playing in a different league of their own than the rest of the top 10 guys, or something like that. And if he hadn't horribly blundered like that, the position was OK. I think he should keep playing like that, it brings diversity and action 🙂

And another thing is, I like people playing against him aggressively because I think Kramnik's drawish reputation is partly caused by his opponents' tendency to refrain from sharp complications against him with black, it's good to have him tested, that was what Anand did magnificently in the WC match, he pressed hard with black too and he just outplayed him.

o
Art is hard

Moves
24 Jan 10

perhaps this was the triumph of a psychological approach to the game?

A

Moves
24 Jan 10

Originally posted by orion25
perhaps this was the triumph of a psychological approach to the game?
How so?

o
Art is hard

Moves
24 Jan 10

Originally posted by Ajuin
How so?
giving your opponent such a position might be a psychological move right?

A

Moves
24 Jan 10

Give the agressive player a nice attacking position and beat him

I can see how it would work psychologically for future games,yes.

But for this game?I think Nakamura was happy with the position he got.Or is that the trick?To make him overconfident.Or perhaps put doubt in his mind along the lines of "Wow,I got a great position here.But wait,this guy's an ex world champion and he's allowing me this.There has to be something wrong with it.Aargh,I can't see it.Etc..."

Ok,possible psycho trics there 🙂

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
24 Jan 10

kramnik just said he hadn't prepared for leningrad except for last night (to whether he had bought a leningrad book last night like with the pirc, he said he couldn't because all the books were sold already 😀), when he looked at c6 leningrad with Ne5 and thought that just can't be good for black no matter what the others have played. but he couldn't find a refuting move (he didn't think the usual Nxe4 was any good either) so he basically made a tempo move with Qc2, just to see what's black gonna do. 🙂 about the whole h6 g5 storm he said something like that the black pieces on queenside were still too undeveloped.

I still have my doubts about that Qc2, but then again he's kramnik and I'm not. I'm also amazed that he didn't seem to be up to date with leningrad theory. but I suspect he might've been understating that a bit. "I just had some very old notes..."

he also gave respect to naka for his great improvement since last year, and said naka will no doubt be in top 10 soon. he also said it was great that for the first time after early 90s there are so many strong up n coming young players, like "carlsen who is not very bad" (😀), because he was so bored to see the same old faces every time. 🙂

pp

Moves
24 Jan 10
1 edit

kramnik just said he hadn't prepared for leningrad except for last night (to whether he had bought a leningrad book last night like with the pirc, he said he couldn't because all the books were sold already 😀), when he looked at c6 leningrad with Ne5 and thought that just can't be good for black no matter what the others have played. but he couldn't find a very bad" (😀), because he was so bored to see the same old faces every time. 🙂
wow, thanks for sharing, where are you getting all this from?

pp

Moves
24 Jan 10

Another interesting "psychological move" was mentioned in some live commentary that Carlsen played what Shirov lost with black just yesterday against him, like saying "now this is it's supposed to be played."