1. Standard memberrvsakhadeo
    rvsakhadeo
    India
    Moves
    31 Dec '10 10:58
    Scientists ( naturally,firstly the psychologists)
    have almost admitted that "Mind"exists although there is nothing within the physical body which is its location. The Brain is a mass of nervous cells which do not very much differ from other cells within the body. Nobody has so far located the prime mover of Brain within the body. So,Scientists have come around to saying that Mind exists outside the body.
    Scientists,however,do not admit the existence of soul.
    Anybody can tell what is the latest scientific view on these matters?
  2. Germany
    Moves
    31 Dec '10 11:03
    There is no scientific consensus on this matter, simply because you are talking about metaphysics which lies outside of science.

More information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Materialism
  3. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    31 Dec '10 11:062 edits
    Originally posted by rvsakhadeo
    have almost admitted that "Mind"exists although there is nothing within the physical body which is its location. The Brain is a mass of nervous cells which do not very much differ from other cells within the body. Nobody has so far located the prime mover of Brain within the body. So,Scientists have come ...[text shortened]... the existence of soul.
    I don't think science has a great deal to say about 'souls' if the meaning of that word has anything to do with the supernatural.

Similar to how one would ask where the mind resides within the body, one might ask where *what you see on your moniter* resides in your computer. By this I posit that the mind might be just a system (induced by the material configuration of my brain) that allows me to respond to other inputs.
  4. Standard memberrvsakhadeo
    rvsakhadeo
    India
    Moves
    31 Dec '10 11:14
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    There is no scientific consensus on this matter, simply because you are talking about metaphysics which lies outside of science.

More information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Materialism
    Let us not kill the debate by turning away from it.
    The entity called Mind has been well talked about for centuries and well theorized in Science. Only that nobody can prove its existence in the usual scientific manner i.e by experiments in the Lab.
    If Mind is not a concept but a fact,it is not metaphysics.
  5. Germany
    Moves
    31 Dec '10 11:20
    Let us not kill the debate by turning away from it.
    The entity called Mind has been well talked about for centuries and well theorized in Science. Only that nobody can prove its existence in the usual scientific manner i.e by experiments in the Lab.
    If Mind is not a concept but a fact,it is not metaphysics.
    Things that cannot be falsified "in the usual scientific manner" lie outside of science.

Philosophers and scientists in general have varying opinions on this matter. Some might be dualists, some might be materialists, some might be something else.
  6. Standard memberrvsakhadeo
    rvsakhadeo
    India
    Moves
    31 Dec '10 11:23
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Things that cannot be falsified "in the usual scientific manner" lie outside of science.

Philosophers and scientists in general have varying opinions on this matter. Some might be dualists, some might be materialists, some might be something else.
    Yes,fine. But what is the latest scientific thought about the existence of Mind ? That was my question.
  7. Germany
    Moves
    31 Dec '10 11:25
    Yes,fine. But what is the latest scientific thought about the existence of Mind ? That was my question.
    I answered your question, there is no scientific consensus and there isn't going to be one since this question is about metaphysics, not science.
  8. Milton Keynes, UK
    Moves
    31 Dec '10 13:28
    Put it another way. Imagine a robot with advanced AI which you can communicate with and it can do things for itself. Can you identify where its "mind" is?
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    31 Dec '10 16:01
    Well it's pretty clear if you destroy the brain you destroy the mind. It's not like its holographing itself in brain cells and spleen and right leg or some such. You can take out most body parts like arms, legs, colon, spleen, kidney and such and you still have a mind so it is clear its not associated with THOSE body parts.

There is an operation called a hemispheretcomy (sp?) where someone has seizures that cannot be fixed by any other means, where an entire half of the brain is removed so you literally have only one hemisphere left. It seems the mind is still there but with some peripheral problems like having to relearn to walk correctly and such. But subsequent IQ tests show little loss of overall skills from the procedure so it is clear you need at least ONE hemisphere of the brain to have a mind.

It is also clear if you destroy enough of the brain you lose your mind, as in Alzhiemer's, so it seems pretty obvious the mind (wherever you want to define it geographically) is intimately tied to brain cells. You lose enough cells, you lose the mind.
  10. Standard memberjoneschr
    Some guy
    Moves
    31 Dec '10 16:37
    I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process.
    Vincent Van Gogh
  11. Joined
    26 May '08
    Moves
    31 Dec '10 19:30
    have almost admitted that "Mind"exists although there is nothing within the physical body which is its location. The Brain is a mass of nervous cells which do not very much differ from other cells within the body. Nobody has so far located the prime mover of Brain within the body. So,Scientists have come ...[text shortened]... the existence of soul.
    “.....So,Scientists have come around to saying that Mind exists outside the body. ...”

what are you talking about?
    'scientists' have not “come around to saying that Mind exists outside the body.”.
    Which scientists have said this?
    What are their credentials?
    Do most scientists that have done actual research into the brain actually agree with such an absurd baseless hypothesis?
  12. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Jan '11 05:45
    Originally posted by Andrew Hamilton
    “.....So,Scientists have come around to saying that Mind exists outside the body. ...”

what are you talking about?
    'scientists' have not “come around to saying that Mind exists outside the body.”.
    Which scientists have said this?
    What are their credentials?
    Do most scientists that have done actual research into the brain actually agree with such an absurd baseless hypothesis?
    Mind does exist outside the body, by its all pervasive nature, and travels through the ether....and this is why psychics can pick up others thoughts, because thought forms travel and exist in the ether.

Ether is also all pervasive.

Mind is a subtle material energy, and so is intelligence.

If you destroy the brain the mind is still there, but because the hard drive is damaged, that doesn't mean the software is damaged...it just cant function.

You cannot damage the mind, but you can pollute it.

Mind, intelligence and false ego, together these three make up the ethereal body.

The living being (person)has 3 bodies...1, material body 2. ethereal body. 3. spiritual body, which are all functioning as one while they are alive in this world.

The ethereal body is also called a ghost to some people.....or the un-embodied spirit.

This knowledge is contained in the Vedanta Sutra, and is therefore perfect.

If you rely on pseudo science, you will never know anything, and spend your whole life speculating like Mr Hamilton.

And then you will have to resort to dishonesty to try and explain, that which you do not know.

Its called cheating, lying, fabricating and dishonesty, all because atheistic science believes they are keepers of the truth, but they do not even know, what they are, where they came from and where they are going.....so they cheat and lie their way through their science career....misdirecting the people.

They teach the next generation (which is child abuse)....that life is random accident, without cause or design or purpose, and this is their biggest cheating tactic.

To explain life, they invent words like natural selection which is meaningless.
  13. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    01 Jan '11 07:27
    Originally posted by vishvahetu
    Mind does exist outside the body, by its all pervasive nature, and travels through the ether....and this is why psychics can pick up others thoughts, because thought ~~~

Sorry, but this sort of meaningless babble has no place in any rational discussion forum.
  14. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    01 Jan '11 09:33
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Well it's pretty clear if you destroy the brain you destroy the mind. It's not like its holographing itself in brain cells and spleen and right leg or some such. You can take out most body parts like arms, legs, colon, spleen, kidney and such and you still have a mind so it is clear its not associated with THOSE body parts.

There is an operation called ...[text shortened]... geographically) is intimately tied to brain cells. You lose enough cells, you lose the mind.
    The brain is an "antenna" for the mind.
    The mind itself exists everywhere at all times.
  15. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Jan '11 09:55
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    The brain is an "antenna" for the mind.
    The mind itself exists everywhere at all times.
    Thats a good way of saying it.....and perfectly true.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree