On existence of Mind and Soul

On existence of Mind and Soul

Science

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

r
rvsakhadeo

India

Moves
06 Jan 11

Originally posted by KazetNagorra
Light, heat and electromagnetism are measurable and therefore not metaphysics. We also have models describing their behaviour pretty well in most situations.

Modern physics does make a difference between mass and energy (they don't even have the same unit so cannot be the same), however it is true that mass is not conserved.

The OS of the brain is the brain.
Also by the way,what is the OS of the total system of brain and other parts of the body ?

Black Beastie

Scheveningen

Moves
06 Jan 11

Originally posted by rvsakhadeo
What you started describing is the standard language of Vipasshana Sadhana. But vipasshana does not require you to analyze sources of thoughts, just that you note them dispassionately( according to my wife who attended the one week beginner's course). So this part of your description probably pertains to Yogabhyas as per Patanjali Yoga Sutras. Any mix up ...[text shortened]... envingen,Netherlands talking very clearly and authoritatively about Yoga to an Indian ! Great !
Edit: “What you started describing is the standard language of Vipasshana Sadhana. But vipasshana does not require you to analyze sources of thoughts, just that you note them dispassionately( according to my wife who attended the one week beginner's course).”

Your wife received the basic approach for the beginners, which later is also related with the analysis. I am looking beyond;

Edit: “ So this part of your description probably pertains to Yogabhyas as per Patanjali Yoga Sutras. Any mix up of two distinct types of Sadhanas?”

This part of my description is neither an esoteric teaching nor the “absolute truth”, but a corrective way based on the evaluation of the mind. This corrective way enables me to perceive the reality unperturbed by thoughts when I need not to think, and to perceive the reality unperturbed by a lack of analysis when an analysis is required;

Edit: “Excuse me that I venture to ask because within the contributors on this forum only you seem to believe in an entity called mind and that has encouraged me quite a bit.
Does the icon against your I.D. purport show a Yogabhyas mat ?
Imagine somebody from Shvenvingen, Netherlands talking very clearly and authoritatively about Yoga to an Indian! Great!”

“Scheveningen” is not my home city but the variation I play with the Black when my White opponent opens with 1.e4. The icon is one basic tartan of Clan Fraser, because I am a bowl o’meal Fraser. I am Greek and I live in Athens, Greece, and I 'm very glad I have the chance to be in touch with you here in our RHP.
Namasteji
šŸ˜µ

Black Beastie

Scheveningen

Moves
06 Jan 11

I should not have used the word annihilation in respect of the mind as that word is a bit strong! But all our Yogis and Saints say that that the Mind ceases to exist for the person who has attained the Liberation while still living.
Yogis and Saints of what exact system?
šŸ˜µ

l

Milton Keynes, UK

Moves
06 Jan 11

Also by the way,what is the OS of the total system of brain and other parts of the body ?
You can use termites as a simple analogy on how the brain works.

A termite, by itself, does not achieve very much, but when combined with many millions of them, it can build complex elaborate structures. Each termite isn't aware of the overall structure yet it has its own simple task.

The brain cell has a simple task (it doesn't even know what it is doing), but working with many millions of others, this will have processing power over a distributed network.

Current single computers we use at home or work do not function in the same way as neural networks, so making the comparison and asking what the operating system is in a biological network doesn't make sense.

Distributed computing, however, does work in sort of the same way. Where each computer has a specific task and combined with many others can achieve much larger goals, like the SETI project and modelling of proteins to find new pharmaceutical drugs.

There are also developments in artificial neural networks which will probably become quite mainstream within a couple of decades, and these will function in a similar way the brain works.

r
rvsakhadeo

India

Moves
06 Jan 11

Originally posted by black beetle
Yogis and Saints of what exact system?
šŸ˜µ
Right from Ramakrishna Paramhans,Vivekananda to Siddharudha Swami,his disciple Kalavati Mata or any number of even medival saints/yogis like Dnyasheshwar, Tukaram say that doing away with one's mind is the first prerequisite of attaining Moksha. all Hindu Yogis and saints.

r
rvsakhadeo

India

Moves
06 Jan 11

Originally posted by lausey
You can use termites as a simple analogy on how the brain works.

A termite, by itself, does not achieve very much, but when combined with many millions of them, it can build complex elaborate structures. Each termite isn't aware of the overall structure yet it has its own simple task.

The brain cell has a simple task (it doesn't even know what it is doi ...[text shortened]... nstream within a couple of decades, and these will function in a similar way the brain works.
A very good reply but raising more questions. Don't you think that there has to be an overall work plan for the termite mound ? otherwise the Termites will go on working at cross purposes eg. Like the story of Tower of Babel? Action of thousands of termites is to be coordinated to building one coherent structure. Who or what does the coordination and where is the action plan located? the word called Instinct is also a built in programme like we have a in a pocket calculator small programmes called subroutines which do the work of addition and subtraction. No fresh programme is required everytime addition is required to be done.

Moves
06 Jan 11

Have you any Scientific evidence to show that the OS of the Brain is the Brain ? Any statement by a scientist/physiological expert?
Do you have any scientific evidence that there is such a thing as "the OS of the Brain" at all? Do you, in fact, grok what an OS is to begin with, or are you just throwing it in because it sounds computery and therefore cool and advanced? Why are you using an analogy - and not a very good one at that - as if it were the factual truth? Is it, perchance, because you do not understand what you are talking about at all? Do you not realise that asking silly questions with no point to them is not how you do, or even discuss, science?

Richard

Black Beastie

Scheveningen

Moves
06 Jan 11

Right from Ramakrishna Paramhans,Vivekananda to Siddharudha Swami,his disciple Kalavati Mata or any number of even medival saints/yogis like Dnyasheshwar, Tukaram say that doing away with one's mind is the first prerequisite of attaining Moksha. all Hindu Yogis and saints.
I strongly urge you to honor these Yogis and Saints of your religion; I am not as advanced as they are; all I understand from the phrase “the Mind ceases to exist for the person who has attained the Liberation while still living” is that “the dualist approach known as Body & Mind is discarded by every individual who has attained Liberation from the chains of the dualist approach while still living"
šŸ˜µ

a

Moves
07 Jan 11

Are these threads (this one and the one on natural selection) an attempt to persuade others there is a God?

r
rvsakhadeo

India

Moves
07 Jan 11

Originally posted by Shallow Blue
Do you have any scientific evidence that there is such a thing as "the OS of the Brain" at all? Do you, in fact, grok what an OS is to begin with, or are you just throwing it in because it sounds computery and therefore cool and advanced? Why are you using an analogy - and not a very good one at that - as if it were the factual truth? Is it, perc ...[text shortened]... questions with no point to them is not how you do, or even discuss, science?

Richard
I am an Engineer and fully conversant with Computers,starting from Main Frames to Minis to Pcs. The Operating System of a computer is a software embedded within the Computer which controls all operations of the Computer.
The discussion with Kazet Nagarro has come around to the point whether there is any Operating System for the Brain or not. Brain is an assembly of neural cells which are separated by miniscule gaps called synapses across which electrical micro-currents leap whenever the cells pass any message to each other.
Moot question is these currents need to be ordered and controlled by something in order that meaningful communication can result within the brain and from brain to body. Dr. Wilder Penfield,a Canadian Surgeon,who practiced brain surgeries realized that Control of the Brain is not apparent within the physical body and therefore an Agency called Mind( which is anyway postulated from centuries by philosophers) has to be there and it appears to have an existence outside the body.
During the course of discussion Kazet Nagarro has suggested that the OS of the Brain is the Brain itself. I have asked evidence regarding this statement.
In the above is there any thing "silly",please point out to me.

r
rvsakhadeo

India

Moves
07 Jan 11

Originally posted by black beetle
I strongly urge you to honor these Yogis and Saints of your religion; I am not as advanced as they are; all I understand from the phrase “the Mind ceases to exist for the person who has attained the Liberation while still living” is that “the dualist approach known as Body & Mind is discarded by every individual who has attained Liberation from the chains of the dualist approach while still living"
šŸ˜µ
Yes, the duelist approach is to be discarded and Advaita has to be realized.

Black Beastie

Scheveningen

Moves
07 Jan 11

Yes, the duelist approach is to be discarded and Advaita has to be realized.
Advaita is emptyšŸ˜µ

Moves
07 Jan 11

I am an Engineer and fully conversant with Computers,starting from Main Frames to Minis to Pcs. The Operating System of a computer is a software embedded within the Computer which controls all operations of the Computer.
Your professors did not serve you well if that is your understanding of what an OS is. It may have been true back in the days of hardwire and 64k, but even that is highly debatable; it is certainly not true today.

Your understanding of how the brain works is worse.

No, I shall not go into details. I am not your secondary school teacher.

Richard

r
rvsakhadeo

India

Moves
08 Jan 11

Originally posted by Shallow Blue
Your professors did not serve you well if that is your understanding of what an OS is. It may have been true back in the days of hardwire and 64k, but even that is highly debatable; it is certainly not true today.

Your understanding of how the brain works is worse.

No, I shall not go into details. I am not your secondary school teacher.

Richard
Mudslinging and vituperation is no substitute for reasoned argument on this or any other forum. Is this how believers in Logic and Science express themselves ? I thought bigots were thought be only on the side of Religious fanatics !

Moves
08 Jan 11

Mudslinging and vituperation is no substitute for reasoned argument on this or any other forum. Is this how believers in Logic and Science express themselves ? I thought bigots were thought be only on the side of Religious fanatics !
Lo and behold, you are wrong again. And again, on so many counts that it is worth nobody's time, certainly not mine, to point them out.

Richard