1. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    16 May '12 13:44
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    "Leave the vacation alone" seems to be the general opinion among subscribers, but you have to think of the 6-gamer who has 2 or 3 games tied up with vacations of an unknown length. Nonsubs may be despised by some in this community, but they are a significant part of our player base and shouldn't be treated too badly or they'll go elsewhere and we'll all be the poorer for it.
    Good point, but you can't change a system which works quite well in general to suit one group or another.
    If the admins did , they would be bombarded with requests to change all sorts of things on the site
    The options for the non subs are:-
    1.Be patient -there's only 36 days of vacation time per player.
    2.Only challenge and accept games against other non subs.
    3.Subscribe.
  2. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    16 May '12 14:03
    "Leave the vacation alone" seems to be the general opinion among subscribers, but you have to think of the 6-gamer who has 2 or 3 games tied up with vacations of an unknown length. Nonsubs may be despised by some in this community, but they are a significant part of our player base and shouldn't be treated too badly or they'll go elsewhere and we'll all be the poorer for it.
    I don't know if that is directed at me or not but I can tell you for the record that I do not despise non subscribers.
    I think most of were non-subs in the very beginning. The point is, if you are not a paying member what say do you have about paying members benefits ?

I became a member here for many reasons. Some of them being the vacation time feature, infinite amount of concurrent games,etc,etc.

As far as non-subs being a "significant part of our playing base", I could not disagree more. I have played 4900+ games here against 945 opponents, Very few have been non subs.
  3. Joined
    17 Mar '10
    Moves
    17 May '12 12:211 edit
  4. Joined
    05 Sep '11
    Moves
    17 May '12 14:01
    Originally posted by roma45
    i would keep vacation time, for people who really go on holiday or just want a break, but the minute they make a move in any game they lose their vacation time. this would help put a stop to the 1/0 players who hide behind the flag, dragging out what is meant to be fast games
    This is the point exactly.
    Why enter a tournament with a 1 day time out and then use the flag.
    Make a move lose the flag makes the most sense.

It won't hurt those on legit vacation (or even non legit vacation but that stays in Vagas). 😀
  5. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    17 May '12 14:35
    What I like best about all the stupid ideas concerning changes to vacation time is that RHP won't make them. It is 36 days, that can't be abused for 365 days. Deal with it.
  6. Joined
    21 Sep '05
    Moves
    17 May '12 17:30
    There are two types of non-subs. There are those new to the site, the try-before-you-buy people. This is fair enough and needs to be encouraged because this is the way to get new members of the site.

Then there are those who have decided, for whatever reason, that they do not want to subscribe. This is also absolutely fine, and the people in this group are still a valuable part of the site. They do not, however, bring in as much revenue as members do (the ad-yield being significantly lower than a subscription) so there has to be some way of reducing the benefits non-subs get from the site.

The owners of the site have decided that 6 games and no rights to vacation are sensible ways of doing this and that is their prerogative. If they make it more attractive to become a non-sub then they will lose custom.

A good way for non-subs to avoid falling prey to subs using the vacation flag then they can always just play against other non-subs...
  7. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    17 May '12 18:50
    Originally posted by Diapason
    There are two types of non-subs. There are those new to the site, the try-before-you-buy people. This is fair enough and needs to be encouraged because this is the way to get new members of the site.

Then there are those who have decided, for whatever reason, that they do not want to subscribe. This is also absolutely fine, and the people in this grou ...[text shortened]... ng prey to subs using the vacation flag then they can always just play against other non-subs...
    There's also people who subscribe,build up a pile of games and then cancel their subs until they have no games left before resubscribing again saving themselves a few dollars.
    Wherever in life there's a system some people will go out of their way to manipulate it to their own advantage.People of integrity just have to live with it.
  8. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    17 May '12 22:25
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    Yup, that's exactly what I want to say to the people who use their vacation as a time-out protection cheat.

Go on vacation or do not go on vacation.
    Play the game or do not play the game.
    You shouldn't be allowed to have it both ways.

Richard
    ROFLMAO...HEll you'd think only being able to play 6 games at time, you'd want the person on vacation to move....BUT then again you may not be here for the chess, just to complain about Vacation that you DON'T GET!!!

Some folks just like to complain, eh Richard.
  9. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    17 May '12 22:293 edits
    Think about what you just said:

Now, picture yourself with only 6 games you can move in...Why wouldn't you want the person on vacation not to move?? Perhaps it would be because the person isn't actually here for the chess, just to complain!!!

Hell, if I could only play 6 games at a time, I sure as hell would want the person on vacation moving!!!

We won't be poorer if the non-subs left!! Will not take a cent out of your pocket or mine. I don't even think non-subs should be able to post in the forums. ( Good thing it isn't my decision huh 😉 ) They are given way more rights than on most chess sites.
  10. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    18 May '12 17:15
    Originally posted by Very Rusty
    Think about what you just said:

Now, picture yourself with only 6 games you can move in...Why wouldn't you want the person on vacation not to move?? Perhaps it would be because the person isn't actually here for the chess, just to complain!!!

Hell, if I could only play 6 games at a time, I sure as hell would want the person on vacation moving!!!

...[text shortened]... ing it isn't my decision huh 😉 ) They are given way more rights than on most chess sites.
    I love it VR, it always comes to "Vacation slows games down, make it so you can't move".

Hur Dur!
  11. Joined
    04 May '11
    Moves
    18 May '12 17:18
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    I don't know if that is directed at me or not but I can tell you for the record that I do not despise non subscribers.
    I think most of were non-subs in the very beginning. The point is, if you are not a paying member what say do you have about paying members benefits ?

I became a member here for many reasons. Some of them being the vacation time f ...[text shortened]... gree more. I have played 4900+ games here against 945 opponents, Very few have been non subs.
    Your "non-subscribers are scum" attitude is very effective in deterring new members from joining or subscribing, I should hope. Luckily the admins of the site seem mostly neutral at the worst.

As for non-subs being a minority, 10 out of top 30 players are non-subscribers. A quick look confirms that the ratio only goes up when you look further.
  12. Standard memberRevRSleeker
    CerebrallyChallenged
    Lyme BayChesil Beach
    Moves
    18 May '12 21:47
    ROFLMAO...HEll you'd think only being able to play 6 games at time, you'd want the person on vacation to move....BUT then again you may not be here for the chess, just to complain about Vacation that you DON'T GET!!!

Some folks just like to complain, eh Richard.
    Crikey, no wonder folk complain when you're chasing them from pillar to post, around and around from one forum to another lol...in fact I bet RHP 'complaints dept' actually plan their holidays around your forum bans, it's the only quiet time they can guarantee 😉
  13. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    19 May '12 02:53
    Originally posted by Vartiovuori
    Your "non-subscribers are scum" attitude is very effective in deterring new members from joining or subscribing, I should hope. Luckily the admins of the site seem mostly neutral at the worst.

As for non-subs being a minority, 10 out of top 30 players are non-subscribers. A quick look confirms that the ratio only goes up when you look further.
    I never said that nor do I feel that way. I am sorry if i came off like that.
  14. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    19 May '12 03:553 edits
    Originally posted by RevRSleeker
    Crikey, no wonder folk complain when you're chasing them from pillar to post, around and around from one forum to another lol...in fact I bet RHP 'complaints dept' actually plan their holidays around your forum bans, it's the only quiet time they can guarantee 😉
    Here is the truth of the matter.

People want to say what they got to say, but they don't want to hear what I have to say, especially when I am always right & they are always wrong.

It is a curse, but someone has to wear it! 😛 😉 😉

What I can't stand are the butt kissers, & shoe lickers who can't stand on their own two feet, & feel they have to be a part of a group. Where I come from we call these gangs of cowards...One on one they run!
  15. Standard memberRevRSleeker
    CerebrallyChallenged
    Lyme BayChesil Beach
    Moves
    19 May '12 04:25
    Here is the truth of the matter.

People want to say what they got to say, but they don't want to hear what I have to say, especially when I am always right & they are always wrong.

It is a curse, but someone has to wear it! 😛 😉 😉

What I can't stand are the butt kissers, & shoe lickers who can't stand on their own two feet, & feel they have t ...[text shortened]... be a part of a group. Where I come from we call these gangs of cowards...One on one they run!
    THREE edits to say that, I hate to say it but you're slipping off your mantle here 😉

I didn't realise I needed a 'VR riposte postal group' however...So where can I sign them up 😀

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree