1. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    14 Jul '17 20:411 edit
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    [b]I haven't met them if there are "many".

Ask the posters on this forum. From what I've seen, most don't believe it possible for anyone to be freed from committing sin. Even though Jesus explicitly states that those who abide in His word would be made free. They are His true disciples.

So you believe that the son abides in the house forev ...[text shortened]... en Jesus says "son" there, he is referring to those who have been made free from committing sin?
    Ask the posters on this forum.

I am not eager to meet them.
    I told you that my prayer to God was for Him to lead me to contact believers who helped my faith rather than discouraged my faith.

So you believe that the son abides in the house forever?

Not sure,

You seem very sure about the setting free by the Son matter.
    You are less sure about the son abiding in the house forever ? Whether it be the Son of God or the sinner set free ?

That's a little peculiar that you claim crystal clarity in understanding of one part of the passage but not about the other part.

but do you understand that when Jesus says "son" there, he is referring to those who have been made free from committing sin?

Either way:

You do believe the Son of God abides FOREVER ... OR the one made free BY the Son of God abides in the house FOREVER ?

Either interpretation ... SOMEONE lives FOREVER . Right ?
    Are you as clear about that part ?
  2. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    14 Jul '17 20:51
    Originally posted by sonship
    Ask the posters on this forum.

I am not eager to meet them.
    I told you that my prayer to God was for Him to lead me to contact believers who helped my faith rather than discouraged my faith.

Not sure,

You seem very sure about the setting free by the Son ...[text shortened]... .. SOMEONE lives [b]FOREVER
    . Right ?
    Are you as clear about that part ?[/b]
    That was "not sure" as in I'm not sure if "you understand that when Jesus says 'son' there, he is referring to those who have been made free from committing sin?"
  3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    14 Jul '17 20:574 edits
    So ToO, its reading comprehension time.

I think the son refers to the one who is not a slave to sin. That would be Jesus.

"Everyone who commits sin is a slave of sin. And the slave does not abide in the house forever: the son does [edited] abide forever.

if therefore the Son
    [the One who abides in the house forever, because He is no slave] sets you free, you shall be free indeed."

I think by "the son" who abides forever, Jesus was referring to Himself as the Son of God. In John 8:46 He pointedly asks them which of them convicts HIM ... of sin.

"Which of you convicts Me of sin ?" (v.48a)

The slave of sin does not abide in the house forever.
    The sinless Son does abide forever in the house.
    The sinless Son is able to set the slave free from sinning.

The sharp contrast in verse 35 is between sinners and Christ Himself as the Son of God:

"And the slave does not abide in the house forever; the son does abide forever."

You should understand that the teaching perfectly conforms to the prologue John gives in chapter one.

"But as many as received Him, to them He gave the authority to become children of God, to those who believe into His name,

Who were begotten not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God." (John 1:12,13)
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    14 Jul '17 21:071 edit
    That was "not sure" as in I'm not sure if "you understand that when Jesus says 'son' there, he is referring to those who have been made free from committing sin?"

Then why did you follow "Not sure" with "but" ?

You did not write "Not sure, BECAUSE". You wrote "Not sure, BUT".

Not sure, but do you understand that when Jesus says "son" there, he is referring to those who have been made free from committing sin?
  5. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    14 Jul '17 21:30
    So ToO, its reading comprehension time.

I think the [b]son
    refers to the one who is not a slave to sin. That would be Jesus.

"Everyone who commits sin is a slave of sin. And the slave does not abide in the house forever: the son does [edited] abide forever.

if therefore the Son
    [the One who abides in the house forever, because ...[text shortened]... nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God." (John 1:12,13) [/b]
    [/b]
    There is a bit of ambiguity, but in 8:36 "the Son" would seem to be referring to Jesus and in 8:35 "the son" would seem to be referring to ANYONE who has been freed from committing sin.

Note that in the translation you selected "the Son" is capitalized in 8:36, but not in 8:35. This indicates that that translator thinks that it is as I stated above.

Seems like the majority of translators agree:
    http://biblehub.com/john/8-35.htm
    http://biblehub.com/john/8-36.htm
  6. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    14 Jul '17 21:341 edit

Then why did you follow "Not sure" with "but" ?

You did not write "Not sure, BECAUSE". You wrote "Not sure, BUT".

So you believe that the son abides in the hous ...[text shortened]... ays "son" there, he is referring to those who have been made free from committing sin?
    Why would anyone use "because"? It wouldn't make any sense:
    "Not sure, [because] do you understand that when Jesus says 'son' there, he is referring to those who have been made free from committing sin?"
  7. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    14 Jul '17 22:483 edits
    Why would anyone use "because"? It wouldn't make any sense:
    "Not sure, [because] do you understand that when Jesus says 'son' there, he is referring to those who have been made free from committing sin?"
    Oh, I didn't forget my original question. Sorry.

Do you think the Son or son as Jesus lives eternally - "abides forever" ?
    Or do you think the son , the one set free lives eternally - "abides forever" ?

Which ?
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    17 Jul '17 07:434 edits
    Oh, I didn't forget my original question. Sorry.

Do you think [b]the Son or son
    as Jesus lives eternally - "abides forever" ?
    Or do you think the son , the one set free lives eternally - "abides forever" ?

Which ?[/b]
    ToO,
    You've had some time to think about it.
    How does your good reading comprehension understand Jesus' meaning here (John 8:35) ?

"And the slave does not abide in the house forever; the son does abide forever." (RcV 1999 edition)

Is it the Son of God as "the son" who abides eternally (forever) in the house ?
    Or is it "the son" set free that abides eternally (forever) in the house ?
    Which ?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree