9am is too early.

9am is too early.

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
11 Aug 18

Originally posted by @secondson
Probably only for politically correct reasons.
How so? I had 'irresponsibly posing serious danger to others' in mind. Is that reason for having a moral objection a "politically correct" one to your way of thinking?

Sinner

Saved by grace

Moves
11 Aug 18

Originally posted by @fmf
The "consequences" of drinking are for each person drinking to weigh and manage. Perhaps that is a lesson that can be extracted from the story.
Knowing you we can expect just about any kind of "extraction" from most any story. That is as long as it lines up with your opinion.

Sinner

Saved by grace

Moves
12 Aug 18

Immoral acts are immoral acts, drunk or sober. Being drunk is not inherently immoral.
Where've you been? Everybody knows getting drunk impairs judgment and causes people to do very unethical and immoral things.

F

Moves
12 Aug 18

Knowing you we can expect just about any kind of "extraction" from most any story. That is as long as it lines up with your opinion.
Do you agree that, morally speaking, the "consequences" of drinking are for each person drinking to weigh and manage as a matter of personal responsibility?

F

Moves
12 Aug 18

Where've you been? Everybody knows getting drunk impairs judgment and causes people to do very unethical and immoral things.
It's the behaviour that may be unethical and immoral. Getting or being drunk - in an of itself - is not an unethical or immoral act.

c

Moves
12 Aug 18
1 edit

It's the behaviour that may be unethical and immoral. Getting or being drunk - in an of itself - is not an unethical or immoral act.
If someone jumps off a 40 story building, that's okay right?
It's only the hitting pavement part that's a problem and results in death. Right?
Because "in and of itself", jumping is fine.
(Your "in and of itself" is a ridiculous statement, because it dismisses "cause and effect)

F

Moves
12 Aug 18

Originally posted by @chaney3
If someone jumps off a 40 story building, that's okay right?
Okay in what way? What are you on about?

F

Moves
12 Aug 18

Originally posted by @chaney3
.Your "in and of itself" is a ridiculous statement, because it dismisses "cause and effect)
If you don't understand why the phrase "in and of itself" applies in this context then that is why you're posting as if you cannot follow what's being said.

Morality is about "effect" on others in one's human interactions.

The "cause" of immoral behaviour is for each person to consider. We are not all the same.

When I get drunk it is not like jumping off a 40 ft building. If it is for you, and if crashing onto the pavement below is analagous to you behaving in a morally unsound way, then don't drink.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
12 Aug 18

Wrong. Alcohol removes inhibition and encourages the person to do things that they want to do. So if you are inherently immoral and unethical then the alcohol would encourage that behavior. Other people may be good and decent and the alcohol encourages good deeds and acts of kindness.

Sinner

Saved by grace

Moves
12 Aug 18

Do you agree that, morally speaking, the "consequences" of drinking are for each person drinking to weigh and manage as a matter of personal responsibility?
Of course! Who wouldn't?

But what about the victims of those that get drunk and do immoral things?

I just heard tell of a man that was so drunk when he got home he took his infant child from its mother, threw the child into a snow bank and then held it up by the throat and screamed at it.

I'm of the opinion that such an individual should suffer the "consequences" and be caned so severely they never drink again.

Sinner

Saved by grace

Moves
12 Aug 18

Originally posted by @rajk999
Wrong. Alcohol removes inhibition and encourages the person to do things that they want to do. So if you are inherently immoral and unethical then the alcohol would encourage that behavior. Other people may be good and decent and the alcohol encourages good deeds and acts of kindness.
So says the "inherently" moral and ethical hypocrite.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
12 Aug 18

If something good has happened to you in your life then I am glad for you. Here you have become somewhat of a mean-spirited blowhard ~ a brand of forum blather you used to be an antidote to.
To tell you the truth, old forum comrade, I had trouble telling who was who up until last year. Since my change I found it very easy to decipher the people here. I'm a 'mean-spiritied blowhard' you say? Well fair enough-to an extent. . Nearly everyone has pissed me off to some degree,(2 or 3 notable exceptions), but those who consistently take me out of context, who refuese to see the spirit of my posts I have utter disdain for. If I swear at someone it is based on all of their posts, not just the last one.

Sinner

Saved by grace

Moves
12 Aug 18

How so? I had 'irresponsibly posing serious danger to others' in mind. Is that reason for having a moral objection a "politically correct" one to your way of thinking?
To my "way of thinking" you'd take any politically correct position on morality as long as it isn't God's morality.

F

Moves
12 Aug 18

I just heard tell of a man that was so drunk when he got home he took his infant child from its mother, threw the child into a snow bank and then held it up by the throat and screamed at it.
Sounds terrible.

F

Moves
12 Aug 18

To my "way of thinking" you'd take any politically correct position on morality as long as it isn't God's morality.
If you want to talk about "sin", talk to people who believe in supernatural lawgivers. Do you agree with me that drunk driving is immoral in so far as it 'irresponsibly poses serious danger to others'? If you do ~ which surely you do, right? ~ what is "politically correct" about our stance?