Aficionado of Prawns
    Not of this World
    Moves
    01 Oct '11 07:461 edit
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    This is one of the reasons God's only begotten Son was sent to us, because
    we can not gain true happiness on our on. He said He came that we might
    have life and life more abundantly.
    Funny, that very subject was on Christian Radio today. The point of the segment was what you just said, with the conclusion that we cannot achieve actual happiness if we don't pursue the things of God as part of the process. Many verses were read from Ecclesiastes, and as I'm sure you recall -- it recounts how Solomon had everything; and decided to base his life on laughter and the pursuit of perpetual happiness. But with each thing he did, he became bored with it and unsatisfied -- until finally he got frustrated enough to start asking himself, "Is this ALL life has to offer? Life stinks."

He didn't pursue, even partly, the things of God and each attempt to find true happiness there was an eventual dead end.
  2. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    01 Oct '11 07:50
    Originally posted by sumydid
    Funny, that very subject was on Christian Radio today. The point of the segment was what you just said, with the conclusion that we cannot achieve actual happiness if we don't pursue the things of God as part of the process. Many verses were read from Ecclesiastes, and as I'm sure you recall -- it recounts how Solomon had everything; and decided to base hi ...[text shortened]... , the things of God and each attempt to find true happiness there was an eventual dead end.
    I wish I had heard it.
  3. Standard membersumydid
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Not of this World
    Moves
    01 Oct '11 08:043 edits
    Wrong thread and I apologize--in fact this does qualify to have its own thread but I'm too scared to make my first thread.

Anyway, yesterday on the same Christian station, the host described a current event that made me cringe a little bit.

I haven't Googled it yet to see if the host was exaggarating, and I hope she was. But what she went on to talk about is a lesbian couple decided to adopt a child. They adopted a 2 year old boy who came I believe from an abusive home, and is deaf and has some learning disabilities. Anyhoo at 11 years old, after 9 years with 2 moms, the boy communicated that he was confused about his sexuality.

The lesbian couple decided that the 11 year old boy is mature enough to change sexes if he wants to, so they are now administering shots of hormone-blockers to him. I believe what this does is prevent hair growing on the body, etc. I guess the idea is they start to transform the boy into a girl and if he decides he likes it, they will carry it all the way through to sex change, but, if he decides to stay a boy, they just take him off the hormone blockers.

I've got a problem with this, on multiple levels. You?
  4. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    01 Oct '11 08:07
    Wrong thread and I apologize--in fact this does qualify to have its own thread but I'm too scared to make my first thread.

Anyway, yesterday on the same Christian station, the host described a current event that made me cringe a little bit.

I haven't Googled it yet to see if the host was exaggarating, and I hope she was. But what she went on to talk a ...[text shortened]... e him off the hormone blockers.

Thats an extreme example ,(on the surface of it), and I think common sense should prevail every now ant then so we can keep our freedoms yet still be able to weed out those that do not conform to a certain level of "normality", by which I mean the welfare of children and the childs, (dare I say "God given"😉, rights.
  5. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    01 Oct '11 08:10

I haven't Googled it yet to see if the host was exaggarating, and I hope she was. But what she went on to talk a ...[text shortened]... e him off the hormone blockers.

I think this qualifies as an extreme makeover, as the women call it.
  6. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    01 Oct '11 11:37

Assuming this story is true and not made up/exaggerated by the radio host... cos they never do that...

First, there is no evidence at all that having lesbian or gay parents has any effect whatsoever on your
    own sexuality or gender self image.
    Lots of studies have been carried out on this, because one of the big theist objections to same sex adoption
    is that it increases the likelihood of the child being gay or lesbian.
    The studies all confirmed that the sexuality of the parents had no measurable effect on the sexuality of the
    kids whatsoever, to significant statistical significance.
    It did however mean they were much less likely to be homophobic.

Second, the rare few you get born with a body of one gender but the mind of another can have great trouble
    dealing with the changes in their bodies at puberty.

Those who have the wrong gender can have enormous self loathing of their bodies and suffer huge emotional
    distress and engage in self harm, commit suicide, get medically depressed, engage in general destructive behaviour,
    or all the above.

While they are too young to make the decision to permanently change gender, it is now starting to become
    standardish practice to administer drugs that prevent/delay puberty, until they reach an age where
    they can make a permanent choice.
    Otherwise they suffer significantly more distress growing up, and often have physical changes in their bodies
    that can't be fully undone if/when they finally get to change sex.

There is no real ideal solution to this problem as yet, and this is possibly the best currently available solution.

So, no, I have no problem with this, and I wish this kid all the best.

I would be interested to know what problem you have with this.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree