1. Standard memberrvsakhadeo
    rvsakhadeo
    India
    Moves
    23 Sep '11 08:48
    Dear Dasa, As a fellow Hindu, I have to request you to stop entering into a mud slinging match with all and sundry. Your posts on the Geeta are dragging our religion, our philosophy, our culture into mud. You are making the Geeta and the Vedas objects of ridicule. If you want to tell others about the contents of the Geeta, please do so in brief and in your own language. As regards the Vedas, have you ever read at least a part of a Sukta of any of the Vedas ? Have you understood the meaning ? I am struggling with the Rudra Sukta for the last 10 years and confess that I am amazed at the sweep of that Sukta which yields a new meaning every time. Do not talk so lightly of the Vedas. As to his detractors, I have only one request. Dasa makes an easy target. But please take some time and trouble to study at least a part of our philosophy, before calling it trash.
  2. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    23 Sep '11 09:02
    Originally posted by rvsakhadeo
    Dear Dasa, As a fellow Hindu, I have to request you to stop entering into a mud slinging match with all and sundry. Your posts on the Geeta are dragging our religion, our philosophy, our culture into mud. You are making the Geeta and the Vedas objects of ridicule. If you want to tell others about the contents of the Geeta, please do so in brief and in yo ...[text shortened]... take some time and trouble to study at least a part of our philosophy, before calling it trash.
    Did anyone call it trash?
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    23 Sep '11 09:03
    Dear Dasa, As a fellow Hindu, I have to request you to stop entering into a mud slinging match with all and sundry. Your posts on the Geeta are dragging our religion, our philosophy, our culture into mud. You are making the Geeta and the Vedas objects of ridicule. If you want to tell others about the contents of the Geeta, please do so in brief and in yo ...[text shortened]... take some time and trouble to study at least a part of our philosophy, before calling it trash.
    I have always made a point of expressing my respect for Dasa's right to choose what he believes and to base his lifestyle on those beliefs. I merely take exception to his incessant abuse and insults on account of not sharing his religious views. I for one would like nothing more than for Dasa to put aside whatever it is that has made him how he is, summon up some of the common decency that I assume (and hope) he had before he 'converted' to Hinduism, and become a member of this community who shares what he thinks, considers what others think, and enjoys participating in a respectful and life-affirming way. I will rec your OP as a recognition of your desire to do something to heal the rift but please don't condescend (and misrepresent) all the people who have been abused by Dasa by assuming none of us (1) know anything about Hindu philosophy and (2) all of us have called it "trash". We get enough of the broad brush from Dasa; no need for you to apply it too.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    23 Sep '11 09:04
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    My point too (above). Don't quite know what this slightly Dasa-like misrepresentation by rvsakhadeo is supposed to achieve, but I respect his desire to set Dasa straight.
  5. Standard memberrvsakhadeo
    rvsakhadeo
    India
    Moves
    23 Sep '11 09:46
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    I do not want to take names but a quick survey shows that one poster calls " bs ", one calls it " rag ", one says he has seen it online in three minutes and he has understood it all.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    23 Sep '11 09:47
    I do not want to take names but a quick survey shows that one poster calls " bs ", one calls it " rag ", one says he has seen it online in three minutes and he has understood it all.
    So why did you seek to tar everybody?
  7. Standard memberrvsakhadeo
    rvsakhadeo
    India
    Moves
    23 Sep '11 09:51
    Originally posted by FMF
    So why did you seek to tar everybody?
    I did not mean to tar everyone, although many of his detractors use terms like the ones above.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    23 Sep '11 10:001 edit
    I did not mean to tar everyone, although many of his detractors use terms like the ones above.
    Well, what has been called "trash" exactly?

If "his detractors" are - for example - compared to "rats and cockroaches" or "pigs eating feces" or "a 7 year old child with cerebral palsy", for having different beliefs from him, is Dasa right or wrong to make these comparisons? If Dasa's abusive insults are "trash", why can't people say so? Or perhaps you think Dasa's "analogies" and "comparisons" are to some degree not "trash"? Which is it to be?

You recently said that Dasa "sets the bar too high". That sounded like a qualified endorsement to me. Have you changed your mind?
  9. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    23 Sep '11 10:25
    Where exactly?

Which thread and on which page?
  10. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    23 Sep '11 10:27
    You shouldn't have started this thread
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    23 Sep '11 10:32
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    You shouldn't have started this thread
    I think the OP was good in its intent to mark Dasa's card and I am glad rvsakhadeo started this thread but I am baffled by the gratuitous and rather indiscriminate swipe he took at everybody who has been abused by Dasa.
  12. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    23 Sep '11 11:25
    i respect your position. as far as i am concerned, i at most mocked some aspects of the vedas(as portrayed by the dasa) that make some unfounded claims about the world (such as the length of the universe, the age, etc)

at no point in time did i believe that the vedas are a stupid religion (if they are indeed a religion, i dunno). In fact i admit my ignorance on the subject. I do put them on equal footing with islam, judaism, christianity and again claim that all religions are but different ways to reach the same truth, just that christianity is my way and it suits me best.

Any snide i may have expressed long ago(i ignore 95% of any threads started by him) was directed at dasa and dasa alone, at his hollier than thou attitude, at his inability to conduct a civilized debate, at his certitude that his way is the only way and damned be anyone elses opinions, at his use of the word "dishonesty" and its variants and what is implied from that.

This is my opinion, and i believe it is the opinion of many. We have nothing against your religion, and welcome your point of view in this forum. For anyone thinking differently... well there are many shades of dasa and you might be one of them.
  13. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    23 Sep '11 11:28
    in the heat of debate, one might forget that attacking a philosophical system misrepresented by an annoying person is not a valid way to win at debating. those people simply tried to elicit a response from dasa, not seeing how much alike to him they have become.
  14. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    23 Sep '11 11:33
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    i respect your position. as far as i am concerned, i at most mocked some aspects of the vedas(as portrayed by the dasa) that make some unfounded claims about the world (such as the length of the universe, the age, etc)

at no point in time did i believe that the vedas are a stupid religion (if they are indeed a religion, i dunno). In fact i admit my ign ...[text shortened]... nyone thinking differently... well there are many shades of dasa and you might be one of them.
    well put
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    23 Sep '11 11:38
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    those people simply tried to elicit a response from dasa, not seeing how much alike to him they have become.
    Apart from a few fundamentalist Christians here, who has ever tried to superimpose their religionist creed onto Dasa and grossly abuse and insult him for not accepting it?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree